Newbie Diesel Cold Weather Questionms

RKP in SB

Thanks, bc, I may try parking it in the garage on some really cold nights. The garage doesn't have any heat source, but it is insulated and drywalled and usually stays 10 or 15 degrees above the outside temperature. During some real cold snaps, I've put a space heater or two in there and kept it above 45*F.

You're right, backing into the shed would be best. The tricky part is (a) lack of clearance - the door opening's only about 4" wider than the blade and (b) it's not a straight shot, thanks to some poor landscaping choices on my part.

The other weird thing, and it's probably just me, is that for some reason it's much harder to see where I'm going in reverse in the 1100C than it was in my old Gator. I have to check this out when I'm not plowing snow so I can figure it out. I probably just need to get used to it. Looking at pictures of both machines, I don't see any reason why there would be any difference in rearward visibility.

Attachments

• IMG_20181213_131012213_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181213_131012213_HDR.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Rear quarter.jpg
    Rear quarter.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

foxalaska

Most has been discussed but a couple things not yet mentioned.

If you go the block heater route as I did, consider getting one for the tranny as well. If your hyd fluid is also warm, you can start moving earlier. Mine are both 110v A/C and wired to a single plug that's easily accessible to plug into the wall with an extension cord. I also put them on a timer to have them come on an hour or 2 before I expect to need the RTV (normally, right after work).

I see you pull the RTV into the shed. If you're expecting a lot of snow, consider backing it in so you can use your blade to push any snow accumulated against or near the shed door.

You mentioned pulling it into your attached garage. Have you done that yet? I ask because I see you have a light on top of the cab. The RTV by itself fits under most standard garage doors. If you don't have taller doors, you may rip that light off the top. Don't ask how I know...

If you do put heaters on the engine and tranny, you won't need it to sit in the garage for 10-15 minutes. I pull mine out (at a crawl) almost immediately and let it do its further warming up outside.

What are you using for a heater on the trans and where are you placing it? I thought about doing the same thing but my power is 70 cents a kilowatt so I don't get carried away with heaters. Got two pad heaters on my oil pan and one heater in the block. I'm going to build a well insulated hut for my buggy next summer and heat with a hydronic loop from my boiler. That keeps everything happy. At -30 below I have to open and close the doors slowly to avoid damaging the closure cylinders. One of many little things that can be easily damaged in extreme cold.

foxalaska

>>The other weird thing, and it's probably just me, is that for some reason it's much harder to see where I'm going in reverse in the 1100C than it was in my old Gator. I have to check this out when I'm not plowing snow so I can figure it out. I probably just need to get used to it. Looking at pictures of both machines, I don't see any reason why there would be any difference in rearward visibility.<<

Same problem for me, and nothing I ever got used to after three years owning the machine. I've been a heavy equipment operator and off road truck driver all my life, so it's not because I'm a total idiot. I back into crap all the time. I need side mirrors, but haven't researched the issue much. Anybody have suggestions??????

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What are you using for a heater on the trans and where are you placing it?
Look at the first post in this thread.

www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11055

Mine are placed on the bottom of the engine and tranny. Be advised, mine are on a 2004 RTV900 so you would need to see which models fit your RTV.

I don't have a cab on mine but do have side mirrors. Where I park, I only have a couple inches on each side but don't have a problem backing it in there by using the mirrors.

foxalaska

Look at the first post in this thread.

www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11055

Mine are placed on the bottom of the engine and tranny. Be advised, mine are on a 2004 RTV900 so you would need to see which models fit your RTV.

I don't have a cab on mine but do have side mirrors. Where I park, I only have a couple inches on each side but don't have a problem backing it in there by using the mirrors.

Pad heaters. I've got two on my oil pan. The reason, the lazy turds at my Kubota dealer didn't want to do the work to remove the bottom skid pan, so they stuck the heater on the side of the pan, above the oil. I installed a pad on the bottom of my pan last winter. Everyone in Alaska sticks the pads on with silicone. My engine is heated with a plug element that screws into the block. Works well. It's standard set up by the dealer. Nothing in this part of Alaska is sold without block heaters, oil pan heating pads and pads on automatic transmissions. Battery pads are generally installed also. I probably should install something on my hydro, but I haven't had any issues so far and feel warming the whole machine is the answer. Side mirror info would be greatly appreciated. Although 99% of my operation is on town roads, I do get in brush and need something that can be easily removed.

RKP in SB

Foxalaska, it looks like they do have something. I kind of just blew past this when I ordered my 1100C, but now I see that it says EXTERNAL rearview mirrors and gives you the option of ordering 2. So I'm guessing that's what I'd normally call a side mirror.

I might check this out before I bash up the rear end of my machine. So far all I've run into are driveway markers, but I'm on track for trouble unless I can see better when I'm backing up.

Attachments

• Mirrors.jpg
    Mirrors.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 97

foxalaska

Foxalaska, it looks like they do have something. I kind of just blew past this when I ordered my 1100C, but now I see that it says EXTERNAL rearview mirrors and gives you the option of ordering 2. So I'm guessing that's what I'd normally call a side mirror.

I might check this out before I bash up the rear end of my machine. So far all I've run into are driveway markers, but I'm on track for trouble unless I can see better when I'm backing up.

I've seen them. Bolt to the top door hinge I believe. Would you let me know what price your dealer quotes you? My dealer in Fairbanks seems to think a 200% mark up isn't unreasonable.

I'm with ya brother, just a matter of time before I back over something spendy.

John

wheeler

i use Kubota 15w40. a good battery is important

Thanx Aurthuritiss, , I am Presently using Kubota 15w-40. Just wondering if a synthetic would be better. And at what viscosity.
I have used Mobil Delvac 15w-40 in my farm tractors for Years and aaaaaaaaaayears, but it seems a number of folks are strong advocates of synthetics now.
Searching for opinnions.??:letitsnow:

hondajoe

Block heater

I think I would go with coolant heater.Have used them in the past with good luck.Your eng will start at 120-140 and that will help with cab heat. Plus hand throttle would help kick rpm at 2000 after start up.I use syn oil.JOE

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
I ordered mirrors off of someone here on the forum but you could easily fabricate some fox I will take a picture for you

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Let me first say I got these from toolman77 here on the forum as well as a in cab gun rack with flashlight clips. I have been very happy with both. If I could change anything I would get a bit sturdier mirror.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Pics

Attachments

• 61CB326E-D835-4106-AE72-BBB105B34D62.jpg
    61CB326E-D835-4106-AE72-BBB105B34D62.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 35
  • AE87F69D-1629-4968-B146-57CA6775305D.jpg
    AE87F69D-1629-4968-B146-57CA6775305D.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 34
  • 634A5512-048C-4D6A-8FC8-2460114037AA.jpg
    634A5512-048C-4D6A-8FC8-2460114037AA.jpg