Earning money with your tractor

Mith

It's funny Mith. You'll quote one job and the homeowner thinks it's highway robbery.

I dont think I've ever had anyone say 'thats all?' before. I think people round here are just cheap :D

Y'know, the best people I have worked for are people who have been in the business before.
You turn up, they tell you what you want and trust you to do it for the right price. No BS. Charge too much or do poor work and its your last job for them, get it right and they take care of you.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
... the best people I have worked for are people who have been in the business before.
You turn up, they tell you what you want and trust you to do it for the right price. No BS. Charge too much or do poor work and its your last job for them, get it right and they take care of you.
So true. I've been on both sides of the table on that one. When I engaged a contractor to frame the second story on my home, I stuck my nose into only two issues: figuring a layer of shim so the second floor joists didn't bear on the first floor ceiling, then later designing the staircase because the architect had figured a big ugly boxed-in lump in the living room ceiling to fit the top stair when the stairs could be done without bothering that ceiling. I had feared the framer might need continual supervision but he was good and the best help I could give him was to stay out of his way.

Dougster

Old Member
I dont think I've ever had anyone say 'thats all?' before. I think people round here are just cheap :D
As God is my witness, it's true! :) Both on tractor work (specifically: my fixed-price patio prep work) and on snowplowing jobs.

It reminds me of my old friend Bruno... whose logic regarding price quotes was twisted at best. He'd rather have lost a job (presumably based on price too high) and felt happy that he didn't under-quote the work... then to win the job and feel that he must have under-quoted it. :confused:

And if the client had added the words: "That's all"?... he would have gone positively berserk! :yum:

Dougster

Advertisment; Never stop self-promoting. Drop your name into every conversation you can. I printed up flyers and hang them EVERYWHERE. Probably 90% get snatched down because they don't belong where I'm putting them. Even so, I've got several good jobs as a result. Cards are cheap too. Hand them out like candy on Halloween. I avoid costly advertising. No yellow pages. Only ONE 30-day add in the local fish wrapper. Once again, the basis of my limited success is keeping overhead to an absolute minimum. (That from a guy who's just bought 2 new tractors, 2 new trailers, and 2 new batwing mowers.....)

My day job is preparing bids for a general contractor. We just completed a job that grossed $177,000,000 for 22 months of construction with 16 sub-contractors involved. We brought it in for 2.7% UNDER budget. The trick is NO wild guesses. NO rampant overspending. And NO give-aways to draw FUTURE business. If you don't make it on TODAYS job, there might not be a tomorrows job.

The absolute best advertisment known to man is word of mouth. Doing quality work, on time, and ON BUDGET will spread like wildfire. Then your customers do your advertising for you. :rolleyes:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Come on guys. Put yourself in the other guys shoes. When you give someone a price if they say "That's all!"; what would you think? I'll tell you what I'd think if I had just quoted them .... I'd think darn, I under bid!!! :pat::shitHitsFan:

...Then I would also wonder if I missed something and if I'm really going to make money on the job.
So, those folks are taking it easy on you. Not causing you extra stress by making you think you bid to low. :D

Dougster

Old Member
Come on guys. Put yourself in the other guys shoes. When you give someone a price if they say "That's all!"; what would you think? I'll tell you what I'd think if I had just quoted them .... I'd think darn, I under bid!!! :pat::shitHitsFan:

...Then I would also wonder if I missed something and if I'm really going to make money on the job.
So, those folks are taking it easy on you. Not causing you extra stress by making you think you bid to low. :D
I'll tell you what's happened to me when I have accidentally let out a little comment, squeal or other hint of joy at a much-lower-than-expected price. The bidder changes gears on a dime and quickly says something like: "Well, that's the bottom of the range, of course" and quickly requotes the "upper end of the range" to as much as double. :eek: Then, of course, I acknowledge with a wink and a smile, turn around and walk away. :D

I refuse to pull or stand for that BS. Strikes me as WAY too blatent & dishonest. I couldn't pull it off with a straight face anyway. I take my lumps and try not to do it again on the next quote. :eek:

Dougster

If a guy was to retire but wanted to stay active, can you really earn money with your tractor or TLB?
I know some of you guys are already doing that so I would like to know what kind of jobs (besides snow plowing) that you look for?
I'm guessing hooking up with a few plumbers & electricians would be good so you could do trencing for them ... but I'm not sure how hard that is to accomplish.
Once you do get the jobs how do you price them out? By the hour or by the job? Just looking for rules of thumb and how you guys do it.
TIA.

A lot of the underground electric is now being done with horizontal boring equipment...its faster and less impact on the neighborhoods...

Breaking into the plumber connection is basically how CHEAP will you work?

And when it comes to BH work, they do not want to deal with OJT on projects that are time sensitive...

The other thing I did not see mentioned is that you will have to have LIABILITY INSURANCE...to protect your assets, when you cut an undocumented phoneline, waterline, sewerline, or electrical feed...:rolleyes:

If you want to do TLB work...Order this book...read it and then practice some of the drills listed in it until you look like a pro...:D
https://www.equiptrain.com/backhoes.htm

Like when the guy asked the virtuoso how to get to Carnegie Hall...
"Practice...Practice...Practice"...:mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLqAmWo2BI8

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
when you cut an undocumented phoneline, waterline, sewerline, or electrical feed...
or gas main or transcontinental fiberoptics trunk line. Yeah, don't overlook the insurance.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I suppose it will vary per local, but in ballpark figures how much is does the insurance costs run per year?

Dougster

Old Member
I suppose it will vary per local, but in ballpark figures how much is does the insurance costs run per year?
Don't want to publish my actual negotiated price on the Internet... but I can tell you that it's all based on what you tell them you want to do, how much experience you have in that area, how many employees plan to use and how much you expect to bill annually. Obviously, the more employees you have and the more work you plan to do... the more they want you to pay. On renewal, they will look at what you actually billed for the previous year AND what you expect to do in the coming year. Actual premiums are literally all over the place. For an excavation start-up, some will refuse to insure you at any cost. What other business you do with the particular agent or broker makes a world of difference.

I had to shop near and far for my very basic $1 Million business liability policy. Some agents wouldn't even talk to me. Some wrote restrictions so onerous, that I wouldn't have been able to do much more than mow lawns. :rolleyes: It was not a fun experience. :eek:

Dougster

workinallthetime

I made a bit of money doing this until my cfo shut me down and sent me back to working for the man, ugg:hide: . I started out with a few signs i bought and put them on a few corners around my area. I got 1 jog doing clean up for a lady who had to many horses on not enough land with a little bx23 tlb. Craigs list got me vey busy doing french drains, land leveling, flower beds, tree removal, grave drives, dry stream beds, rock retaining walls, building pads, creek cleaning, on and on the list goes. I think the key was my background, and abilities on and off the tractor.
I always said "your project your way" I would have the customer buy any materials and call the locating service. I never would out right bid a job, i told the customers i worked for 50 bucks an hour with a 2 hour min., that way if the customer jacks around while you are there making a decision its costing them, but also you will find that you will get alot of the "while your here" things you will end up doing.
one thing i can suggest is that you be able to diversify as much as possible, but a mower if you dont have one.
most jobs you will do once but the grass grows all summer
I ended up the season with a new b3030 tlb, zd326 zero turn mower and a bunch of power equipment. It was the best time and the biggest money making time of my life and i cant wait to get back to it as soon as possible !!

Last edited:

Dougster

Old Member
I made a bit of money doing this until my cfo shut me down and sent me back to working for the man, ugg:hide: . I started out with a few signs i bought and put them on a few corners around my area. I got 1 jog doing clean up for a lady who had to many horses on not enough land with a little bx23 tlb. Craigs list got me vey busy doing french drains, land leveling, flower beds, tree removal, grave drives, dry stream beds, rock retaining walls, building pads, creek cleaning, on and on the list goes. I think the key was my background, and abilities on and off the tractor.
I always said "your project your way" I would have the customer buy any materials and call the locating service. I never would out right bid a job, i told the customers i worked for 50 bucks an hour with a 2 hour min., that way if the customer jacks around while you are there making a decision its costing them, but also you will find that you will get alot of the "while your here" things you will end up doing.
one thing i can suggest is that you be able to diversify as much as possible, but a mower if you dont have one. most jobs you will do once but the grass grows all summer
Hey Dan - Now folks here know why you are my "successful-self-employment-using-CUT" inspiration and hero! :wave: Even if you did go back to workin' for the man when he came callin' with that tall stack of green!!! :) You proved rather convincingly that it could be done! :thumb:

Dougster

workinallthetime

thats the thing about a cut, you can go into a nich with a rather small investment and make a good living do honest work. You can get where a cat or a case can not get to and for what you charge people are happy to work with you

Dougster

Old Member
thats the thing about a cut, you can go into a nich with a rather small investment and make a good living do honest work.
Well, that's easy for you to say! :D You've already done it! :thumb:

The old Dougster is still fighting for survival at this point after making every business mistake in the book. :eek: In my defense, I will only offer up that I am up against my strict town bylaws, some serious cut-throat competition from the local illegal community and my staunch opposition to taking on regular lawn maintenance work. That being said, my single biggest mistake was still where I put my 2007 advertising dollars (a mistake I will soon rectify but never forget!). :rolleyes:
You can get where a cat or a case can not get to and for what you charge people are happy to work with you
Can't argue with that. :wave: In fact, that is the whole idea!!! :respect:

Dougster :starbucks:

workinallthetime

ill take a pic of my t shirts some day. they are cat yellow with black lettering thats say nickel creek services on the front pocket area and
"laws, tractor work, landscape'
on the back. the color is for keeping your temp cool and for visability, cant say how many times i got stoped and asked about doing some work for someone. I didnt get hats because someone has to get right in your face to read it and thats just not somewhere i like a stranger, lol
Standing in a check out line somewhere i would get asked about something on a regular basis, oh my phone number was on there also.
We are less than 5% of the people in the world who know how to use a tractor and what you can do with one, so you have to think like the other 95% to get their attention.
good luck all.

Dougster

Old Member
We are less than 5% of the people in the world who know how to use a tractor and what you can do with one, so you have to think like the other 95% to get their attention. good luck all.
Excellent words of wisdom from someone who has actually done it successfully. :thumb:

Like Dan, the hat thing strikes me as more of an appropriate customer gratuity than a really effective advertising media... unless, of course, you can print very large or come up with a nifty, easily-recognizable logo. The T-shirts are probably much better as an everyday marketing tool, but unfortunately the poor old Dougster does not normally work or walk around town in a T-shirt anymore. :eek: My "old man's" preference is for light-colored, slightly over-sized, button-up, short-sleeve shirts. :cool:

Dougster :starbucks: