New Blades and What a Difference!!!!

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Also forgot, I had broken the fuel filter assembly last spring. I wasn't able to turn the fuel off so I could change the fuel filter. What happened was, it was stiff and I couldn't turn it. So I thought I would get some extra leverage with a Crescent Wrench.:pat: Snapped it off, so I've been meaning to get a new one for awhile as I've been running the same fuel filter now for a little over 200 hours and I usually change it with every oil change at 100. Started taking it apart. Took the line that goes to the engine off. Fuel starts flowing out of the filter. :pat:I hurry up and push the line back on. Take the return line off the top. It rips off as it is stuck to the filter assembly. Fuel starts coming out of the top.:pat: I hurry up and get a pair of Vice Grips and clamp the fuel line off. Problem was I was too close to the fuel filter becuase of no room. I can't get the line from the tank off. So I try to move the Vice Grips, but can't get another good bite, but OK. Then I try to get the clamp, but still not enough room to completely get the clamp off. I'm pulling on the fuel line it is stuck. About this time it lets go. Unfortunately, not from the fuel filter. It lets go from the tank.:pat: Fuel is going everywhere. I hurry up and get a finger on it. In the process I drop the vice grips and the needle nose pliers and I can't reach any tools. End up having to call Monica to have her come out of the house and help me. She just kept "yelling" at me saying, thought you said it was about out of fuel. What she doesn't realize is, 1/2 gal to a gallon of fuel, can make a very big mess when it starts spreadying out over a concrete floor.:shitHitsFan: Ended up having to remove the dash, but finally got it all put back together, but I did end up losing the rest of the fuel, so off to buy more tonight so I can bleed the injectors and start mowing grass.

You are making me feel better!

I thought I was the only one who had troubles like that. :pat:

Jim

jwstewar

Staff member
Just picked up another set of blades as last year when I was mowing I was leaving more than I was cutting. It looks as though with the high-lift blades I'll get about 2 years out of them vs. 4 for the original set that had the standard lift. I started looking on line for some cheaper replacements as last time they were like $33 each. I found some for $20 each + S&H. I didn't order as these weren't NHs and I was a bit skeptical. So I went to the dealer today, now instead of being $33 each, they were $25. So ended up being roughly the same price and they are still NH blades. Now to get some grease and get the deck put on and get my forest knocked down. Of course, I'm kinda wondering if I should leave the old blades on for the first mow.....decisions....decisions.:blob_blue:

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Maybe for the first mow, leave the old blades on and cut it high. Then this weekend or so cut it at proper height with the new ones.

jwstewar

Staff member
ugh, just went out to install the new blades. They sold me the wrong blades. The hole is too small. Guess I'll be going back tomorrow at lunch.