4 H Clubs

BaiJiu

I spent the entire day judging 4-H members on their speeches and demonstrations, junior to senior. I don't know if any of you have ever had the opportunity to do this but it is the most rewarding day you can have. These smaller adults ranged in age from 7 to 21 and are so grown up with so much character and confidence, they are the future movers and shakers in the agricultural (actually any) industry. If all kids went through this program, crime rates would drop minimum 50%, education levels would improve and most of all smarter more rounded and knowledgeable people would rule the world. I just wish we could introduce this to the city environment. So many of these kids have already started businesses, some at 17-18 already have dairy facilities, many are already in veterinarian programs. I could go on and on; just so impressed. Mentor a kid every opportunity you get.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I would have liked to get my kids into 4H but there's none very local and my setup isn't commensurate to having animals.

BTW, why is this in the ATV forum section? Can I move it to a forum section more related to the topic?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ummm, we don't seem to have an Outdoor Living or Rural Life section on this forum (there is over on Doc's other site, forumsforums.com)

I put it in the RTV section as that's where most of our members visit.

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Zoom, I grew up as a 4-Her and have three grown 4-H children. Animals are jus a part of 4-H. There's projects such as fishing, shooting, small engine repair, sewing, on and on. One of the best is public speaking. Please don't let the "lack of area for animals" to be the one thing precluding involvement with 4-H. BaiJiu is correct, it is a GREAT place for kids.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
As I mentioned, there's no 4H clubs nearby. My son has been in Scouts for 6 years and I was a leader for 4.
We both left the Scouts at the end of 2013. It's hard to be a leader when you have to accept being gay as being "Morally Straight". As leaders, we're also not allowed to make any arrangements or adjustments for sleeping.

There's a new organization out now called "Trail Life USA". It was formed by a bunch of high-level people in the BSA who also couldn't accept the new policies and therefore left. We're giving them a year to establish then will look at joining them.

urednecku

I was also raised in 4-H, & was actually my oldest sister's project when I was a baby. (Yea, they said I kept her busy :drive2:)
If you can name it, they probably have, or will make, record books for it.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
It's hard to be a leader when you have to accept being gay as being "Morally Straight". QUOTE]

I too, was a scout !!! I stood proud and I stood strong.
Worked hard for the merit badges and patches that was worn. It taught me how to treat people, help the man next to me. It was taught to me patriotism, self reliance, courage and the values of life.
The scouts help so many young men with the positive experiences and to mature and prepare them to become responsible adults.

I have still, in a wooden box, All the rewards, badges, patches, canteens, and tools that I carried as a scout. I also have the memories of the times spent learning all the things that the scouts offered and it was up to me, to go forward with what they taught me.

Fathers, Grandfathers, Great-Grandfathers, and so many "leaders of these young men", It also breaks my heart to see this magnificent organization go
down like it has.

I Thank God, for the Memories that I have in the Scouts !!!!

........................ jamie

Attachments

• Boy Scout.jpg
    Boy Scout.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 79

pop58

I kept my kids out doors as much as possible while they were growing up and I do the same with my grand kids.
A lot of kids today are out of touch with the outdoors. They text to much and don't even look up to see what is going on most of the time.

BaiJiu

Pop I had two girls but they could both start a fire, set snares, catch and clean fish, shoot a 22 rifle with precision, drive my boat and ATV before they were teen agers. Thought they would pass it on to their kids but both ended up marrying husbands who if stranded over night likely wouldn't make it to morning.

pop58

My kids were doing the same. Had them cleaning deer at 5, with help of course. One day it will all come back to them and they will remember who taught them.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
My kids were doing the same. Had them cleaning deer at 5, with help of course. One day it will all come back to them and they will remember who taught them.

AMEN BROTHER !!!!
...... AMEN ....

..... two guns

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
As I mentioned, there's no 4H clubs nearby. My son has been in Scouts for 6 years and I was a leader for 4.
We both left the Scouts at the end of 2013. It's hard to be a leader when you have to accept being gay as being "Morally Straight". As leaders, we're also not allowed to make any arrangements or adjustments for sleeping.

There's a new organization out now called "Trail Life USA". It was formed by a bunch of high-level people in the BSA who also couldn't accept the new policies and therefore left. We're giving them a year to establish then will look at joining them.

Thanks BUD for truly following the "natural" laws that have made this country what it is.........lol....or is it what it WAS. Sad to say that for sure to be the generation that watched and stood by as our COUNTRY......OUR COUNTRY......became a 2nd class power.

Surely NOT to rob the idea of this thread but am truly fed up with the lack of folks that stand up for what is right.

Back to the thread........HERE......our county agent is also the "sponsor" for the 4H leadership in all of the schools. Seems that is a perfect use of county funding. Also really strong here is the 4H folks go right into FFA of course and then the "young farmers" help turn them with their organizational skills into REAL farmer/ranchers..........Yes, it is being passed on......WHEN and if those of us who CAN make a difference DO....

For instance, we don't publicize it; but the county agent has carte blance to bring a needy kid who is truly interested to come by and pick out one of our young kids to wether and have as a project....Usually they sell in the 100's.......Often we GIVE bottle babies to a 4H child KNOWING it will be raised right and put to good use.......
..God bless.....Dennis

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
1797601_512096968899666_1574133645_n_zps86b61758.jpg

pop58

You know, the only reason there city's in this world is because of farming. Im not a farmer but I appreciate them. Can you imagine everyone in the city being a hunter gatherer.
Back on subject, the 4-H fairs are a great thing. Wish more kids were involved.