Snowblower Height for Gravel Driveway

Pauly

I have a Kubota B2781B snowblower that I plan on using on a gravel driveway. Any suggestions on setting the height? I am thinking 1".
Thanks

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What size gravel (or stone) do you have?

I'd start at about an inch and see what that does for you. Depending on how much stone movement you have, how hard of a base you get... you can tweak it up and down.

Pauly

I have a mix, from traffic bond to golf ball size. Late in the season I have a traffic bond / recycled asphalt mix in parts of it. It's a quarter mile long. The area where I have the the larger stone has the mix over the top. It is a fairly hard base.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds like you're using rotomill which makes a nice base.

I'd make sure you're staying above that. When it (rotomill) comes out (like if your lower edge of the blower catches it), it's not uncommon to come out in chunks a size that your augers aren't going to appreciate. Keep shear pins at the ready.

If your shoes your using to set blower height are not sliding over your surface cleanly and are digging in, consider pulling those out and installing some small tires on the outside of the blower in the same area. If it were a push blower, I'd recommend bicycle training tires (very thin) but for a 3PH, I'd go with tires the size you normally see on hand trucks (2-wheel dollies).