RTV Daily uses, What did you do today with your RTV?

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Shortly after transporting this load of Ash from down the road from a neighbor who doesn't burn wood for winter heat, on the next load that consisted of smaller cut up branches, one was poking out the front of the bed through the 'headache rack and when I dumped it, it took out the rear plexi window. Gonna have to replace that before winter. Emerald Ash Borer has devastated the Ash trees n this area. First the Elm, now the Ash...hope another imported bug doesn't come along that likes Oak or Sugar Maple.

Same here... 3 years ago everything fine... two years ago tons of woodpeckers... last year dead crowns.. this year they are all dead, the only Ash that survived are as big as your arm or smaller.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Tried to start the RTV to go to my river dock. Cick cick click. Hmmm my battery is down. Had to make other transportation arrangements ....ATV. and put battery on charge. It started right up tonight. But it appears it is the original battery in my 06 RTV 900. So ...wondering where you guys buy your replacement batteries It appears I need one, sooner rather than later.
When my OEM battery quit, I replaced it with a deep-cycle marine battery of the same size (physically and CCA). The OEM battery couldn't run the accessories (like the stereo) very long with the RTV not running. Don't have that issue anymore.

TRIBUTE100

DOC, if you can go back and read my post "New Battery for my RTV 900... dated 3/12/17, it might be of help to you. I got an AutoZone part no. 35-AGM battery for mine.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
I think that photo of the RTV was taken in Australia, the land down under.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
:yum:

------------------
I replaced the battery in my 06 RTV today. Had signs it was failing for the past few weeks. Finally took the drive to the Bota dealer and shelled out $151 for a new battery. I figured since the original lasted 11 years I'd get another.

Then when I got to the dealer and got the new one I could tell it was not the original battery. Dang it. I bought the RTV in 2012 ...so the 1st battery was replaced in the first six years of ownership. Surprised me. How long did your RTV battery last.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I pulled my OEM battery after about 2-3 years only because it struggled to handle the accessories, especially when I was using them with the RTV turned off (e.g. running the stereo/amp with the RTV not running).

I replaced it with a deep-cycle marine battery. It's now more than 10 years old. I do keep a battery tender on it, otherwise it'll go dead after a few weeks if I don't run the RTV. I think there's a small draw on it all the time which runs it down.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Since my Kubota tractor battery lasted 13 years I assumed the RTV battery was original. Oops. The only accessory for my RTV are a couple of little rear lights for the bed. Nothing else. At a minimum I use my RTV every week since it performs duties of a trash hauler to get my trash to the curb.

Last winter the battery did run low so I hooked a battery tender to it, and kept on charge during the winter months when it was not used as much. It came right back to life and lasted until now. Not bad.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
nice front rack for wood !
do you run a strap over it for hauling long distances ?

Thanks! It works as a great counter balance, I'm only hauling 1000 yards or so now but it is precariously stacked on there. I bought that rack to haul chainsaws and fuel so I could stack brush in the dump. The only place to put anything on the RTV's in the bed! Unless you want to ride with the stinky gas can in the cab.

If I ever run out of crap to do around here I'm gonna build a over the hood rack that's attached through the 2 inch receiver on the front. No one makes one for the 1100 because Hood opens I guess. So I'm thinking come out of the hitch go up build a horizontal rack above the hood that you can swing up vertically in case you need to open the hood for some reason.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't know of any aftermarket front racks for the 1100.

Here's one they make for the 900/1140 if it gives you any ideas.. Swings forward and down for access to under the hood.
http://www.orangeaftermarket.com/Utility-Hood-Rack-for-Kubota-RTV900-RTV1140-_p_3743.html

For front storage, here's what I was going to do (but never got around to it).
Get a trailer tongue box like what's pictured below.
You could mount it from below using the front hitch receiver or use U-bolts or similar that you could then just hook over the top of the grill guard and hang it from there.

T83-Trailer-Tongue-Toolbox-12.jpg

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wife and I did trail maintenance today. Trimming back multiflora from trail so it does not stick ya as you drive by.
While out there wife remembered daughter number one asked for buckeye nuts so she could make a wreath. So we looked and hit the jackpot. Found way more than we wanted to pick up.

Attachments

• buckeyes1.jpg
    buckeyes1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 140
  • buckeyes2.jpg
    buckeyes2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 137

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Mrs and I took the God sons around the farm to check the game cameras and give both of them a chance to drive a little. They are 9 and 11 and neither had been behind the wheel of anything. I was changin oil in my Uncle's 9n at age 11 so I figured it was about time.

They both did real well...the little one loves speed and bumps where his brother just enjoyed a slow cruise. A little more practice in October.

We took them to what I believe is about the highest point in Meigs county and my Wife had packed some hot chocolate...we parked and watched the sun set. Boys were getting cold so we headed back to the barn.

Very little work got done but you can't ask for better memories. I will feel guilty asking the good Lord for anything for a few days.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mrs and I took the God sons around the farm to check the game cameras and give both of them a chance to drive a little. They are 9 and 11 and neither had been behind the wheel of anything. I was changin oil in my Uncle's 9n at age 11 so I figured it was about time.

They both did real well...the little one loves speed and bumps where his brother just enjoyed a slow cruise. A little more practice in October.

We took them to what I believe is about the highest point in Meigs county and my Wife had packed some hot chocolate...we parked and watched the sun set. Boys were getting cold so we headed back to the barn.

Very little work got done but you can't ask for better memories. I will feel guilty asking the good Lord for anything for a few days.
It is awesome getting the young ones behind the wheel. My 8 yr old granddaughter was so thrilled to drive ours. Now our soon to be two grandson (turns 2 Oct 13th) loves riding and is convinced he is really driving when I let him have a hold of the steering wheel.

Highest point in Meigs county? Interesting. I'm at the top of the number two priority hill for Meigs county road crews when we are hit with ice or snow. :D

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I am told the highest point is on Arnold Road, just 100 yards from Dan Arnold's residence. You can clearly see Gavin and Keiger's stacks and no other higher point around it.

It is so much fun to see kids develop that love for driving at a young age...I believe my kids are better drivers as a result of that early exposure.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
We went to the "highest point in ohio" on our way to Indian lake this summer... that was funny, would barely be worth sledding in the winter;-). I'm sure your highest point and neck of the woods are more scenic than Campbell Hill Paw Paw