What do you like most and least about your tractor

Mith

What's your favourite feature of your tractor, and just as importantly, your least favourite?

For me, the best thing about my tractor is it is very small, and it'll go places that larger machines wont.
The worst thing about my tractor is the lack of traction. The rear end is pretty light, and with only 2WD it really does cripple it when its muddy.

Lets hear it!.....

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
The favorite feature on mine is it's size. It's small, but larger than yours Mith.
The least favorite is some of the safety features I guess. It has to be in neutral and set the brake before rising off the seat.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
4Wheel Drive. What a difference it makes.
Front End Loader (FEL) what a back saver these are.
Rotary Cutter (Bush Hog) this thing can do 5 acres in the time it took me to do 1/4 acre with a bladed weed eater.

I'm sure glad my tractor does NOT have that seat saftey feature that you mentioned Jerry. That would get annoying.

The one thing I don't like about my tractor is I have to put fuel in it. Besides paying for the fuel, the fuel fill placement is a bit awkward. I have to stand in the operator area to pour the fuel.

Mark777

6- Simple to maintain, diagnose and repair.
5- Locking differential, next best thing to 4WD
4- Thermal-Start (no glow plugs)
3- 4WD
2- FEL and Power Shift
1- Fuel Efficiency (OMG), Yep, number one!
1- Small operator platform...but you do get use to that.
2- Engine side covers... difficult to check oil dip stick when they're on.

PBinWA

I like everything my tractor has done for me.

I wish it had more power and strength in the same size.

Av8r3400

Tractor: 2006 Kubota L3400DT (Shuttle-shift, gear)

Plus:

Power (PTO, Pulling, General Grunt)
Weight (not Kioti weight, but...)
Speed
Very low fuel consumption

Minus:

Forward Low-Range is a lower ratio than Reverse :mad:
FEL is a little weak
3pt Has been 'repaired' under warranty with a new control, but is still too jumpy

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
+ FEL

+ Just the right size for my homestead and heavy (LMAO) too!

+/- Telescopic 3 point hitch arms. Great and timesaving for putting on implements. The direct opposite when dirt and rocks get behind the arms and they won't set in the lock position. Requires tear down and cleaning, always happens at the most inopportune time.

- If I don't put the seat belt latch in the cup holder, it's a sumb*&^h to get hold of when it falls on the floorboard.

- Mounting from the joystick side sucks.

BoneheadNW

Plus:
Small(er) size allows for moving between trees
BH is a wonder tool
Toothbar great for raking out ferns/brush
4wd essential for working in my yard

Minus:
Front end a bit light so front wheels tend to slide
More power, especially the BH, would make removing stumps easier
Small space in BH operators position makes my legs cramp
Bonehead

B

bczoom

I like most everything about my tractor.

The things I would change are incorporated into newer and bigger versions (e.g. open floor area, HST...)

- If I don't put the seat belt latch in the cup holder, it's a sumb*&^h to get hold of when it falls on the floorboard.
BigDog - I have receivers/latches for each side of the seatbelt under the fender handles. When I remove the seatbelt, I just snap them into the receivers (a copy of the female/male end for each side). A junkyard should have some that fit.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Opps, I forgot to mention HST as one of the major pluses on my L3010. I was planning to go with a standard shift of some type, but ended up with HST thanks to info from other HST users. I'm glad I listened. HST makes operation on hills safer and is easier on my knees. I'm liking that.

The operator area is cramped. No space to carry any thing extra on the floorboard.

B

bczoom

To all Tractor Manufacturers:

TOOLBOX!!! WE NEED A STINKING TOOLBOX!!!

Whew. Now I feel better.
Why not mount one yourself?

I made a tray that sits on the right fender. I removed the handle and mounted this tray. The handle was then moved to the front of the tray.
I went with a tray so I can set different toolboxes, coolers... for whatever the project at hand may be.
Not a good picture but here's what it looks like.

Attachments

• Tractor toolbox.JPG
    Tractor toolbox.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 465

Av8r3400

I agree that's what I must do.

BUT, why should we have to? This is a piece of equipment designed to work with attachments that need pins, clips, wrenches, etc. This should be part of the design from the beginning!

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Why not mount one yourself?

I made a tray that sits on the right fender. I removed the handle and mounted this tray. The handle was then moved to the front of the tray.
I went with a tray so I can set different toolboxes, coolers... for whatever the project at hand may be.
Not a good picture but here's what it looks like.

Genius .............. for you that have flat topped fenders! Be a bit more ingenius with curved fenders ...........:bangin:

B

bczoom

Genius .............. for you that have flat topped fenders! Be a bit more ingenius with curved fenders ...........:bangin:

OK, I'll be more ingenious.

On your Kioti, mount them to the inside of the fenders.

Here's some pics. Voila!

PS the "beverage" holder is handy as well. :beer-fresh:

EDIT: The Kioti belt clips are different than mine. I may be able to find you some if you can't but your dealer should have them.

Attachments

• CIMG0720s.JPG
    CIMG0720s.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 286
  • CIMG0718s.JPG
    CIMG0718s.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 241
  • CIMG0716s.JPG
    CIMG0716s.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 281

lb59

Opps, I forgot to mention HST as one of the major pluses on my L3010. I was planning to go with a standard shift of some type, but ended up with HST thanks to info from other HST users. I'm glad I listened. HST makes operation on hills safer and is easier on my knees. I'm liking that.

The operator area is cramped. No space to carry any thing extra on the floorboard.
This went the way of the crank HANDLE TELEPHONES.

:wink:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
lb,
How did you find this site?
Do you like ice cream?
How about buffalo burgers?

Mark777

lb,
How did you find this site?
Do you like ice cream?
How about buffalo burgers?

:yum: ......Deja Vou!

As compact as the Japanese tractors are...Yanmar did (does) include a small plastic box mounted on the seat tracks. Large enough for a few wrenches and hand tools, and maybe a pair of gloves. Unfortunately, they were red plastic and crumbled away after only 25+ years.

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
OK, I'll be more ingenious.

On your Kioti, mount them to the inside of the fenders.

Here's some pics. Voila!

PS the "beverage" holder is handy as well. :beer-fresh:

EDIT: The Kioti belt clips are different than mine. I may be able to find you some if you can't but your dealer should have them.

Thanks for the idea and pictures but honestly I was talking about the toolbox ..........:mrgreen: