' Tractor Sheds '

Erik

cowboy - I can't believe you took all those pictures and not one cat in them!
what'd you do, lock the herd up?
Great pics, by the way.

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Guys . I just fed the cats in there own little shed so I could take the pics Eric, lol . Bob

x595

Cowboy , great pictures , looks like you can stretch your legs out there ...

Later,x595

BoneheadNW

Great pictures from everyone. May sound corny, but it makes one appreciate what a beautiful place we all live in.

Wish I could post a picture of my tractor shed. We just had an addition made to accommodate our van and decided not to extend the structure for the tractor. Too much $$. Right now it is being stored under a tarp right next to the wood pile behind the house (in front of basement windows in center of pic).
Bone

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 373

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I would like to see all the Members Tractor Sheds ... The place where you park your Pride and joy and do its maintenance
Wow, lots of gorgeous places.

Meanwhile over on the poor side of town ...

This little farmhouse and its outbuildings are maybe 90 years old. Grandpa bought it in 1950 and never changed anything, then Dad inherited it and made a point of hauling in used materials to keep his repairs 1920 authentic. This is where I learned carpentry as a teenager, making piles of junk into window frames and workbenches, replumbing the rusted-out pipe, putting lighting in the tractor stall, and helping Dad pour a concrete floor in that stall after it had been bare dirt for the first 50 years.

Everything looks about as I remember it as a small child - with wavy [pre WWII] window glass, one space heater in the main room heating the whole farmhouse, even the chicken coop looks the same but its my fuel storage shed now. The windmill is still up there above the water tower building. At this point I could probably make a lot more as a weekend rental, 'authentic Grandpa's farm', compared to the income from the apple orchard.

Here's a photo showing the tractor stall. This photo is part of a set describing the tame peacock who arrived one day and just moved in. The whole story with more pictures is over on Forums Forums.

Looking at my picture, 1) I cut up those boxes the next day, after this photo made me notice how trashy that looked. and 2) the photo reminds me that when I was a kid there was a mid-30's Mack flatbed with a huge stack of wooden apple lug boxes (40 lb harvest boxes) on it, in one of the garage stalls. I climbed up into the truck once when I was about seven and got in big trouble - I know now that shifting it and releasing the brake would have let it roll right out of its stall. Ok, enough history. In summary I love this place.

P1550310rPeacock&L-conversation.JPG

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful place Bone. Awesome. :thumb: :D

I see what you mean CA, especially having to follow Bones post. :D nice functional buildings you got there. At least they keep the tractor(s) out of the weather. :thumb:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Bonehead, Cowboy, Doc, everybody, those are gorgeous places you have.

Doc, thanks for the kind words. Since our primary home is in town and this ranch is more of a hobby getaway, I don't think I'll ever make major changes to what's there. A barn with lots of clear floor area is the one thing I am planning to add.

Being retired, spending a lot of time there is like a second childhood with toy tractors and everything. I'm having a great time at it!

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
Fine looking places Bone & CA . Thanks for the history as well CA . Love seeing Yer feathered friend as well , Perty critters for sure .

We had one that mixed in with the wild turkeys around here a few years back , it would come up & eat with the cats as well . We haven,t seen it in awhile but everyonce in awhile here it down by the river so its still around . Hopefully first snow it & the turkeys will show up again . I,ll have to see if I can find some pics of them . Bob

BoneheadNW

Thanks for the compliments. When I see pictures of other people's homes, I try to imagine what it would be like to live there. I have lived in several places, all on the west coast from here down to San Diego, and have visited many areas in the country, but I just don't have a good feel for how most of our country really lives. That is what I am getting from threads like this.
Bonehead

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
When I see pictures of other people's homes, I try to imagine what it would be like to live there.... but I just don't have a good feel for how most of our country really lives. That is what I am getting from threads like this.
Good point. I agree. In fact that was one reason I chose my screen name 'California' long ago on another tractor board when it was small and seemed to be 99% Upper-Midwest and Southern - region folks. It was clear to me then that there exists a world of rural living that I knew nothing about. Here in California most rural land has been conglomerated into huge agribusiness corporate farming, for example most of the US crop of tomatoes, vineyards run by NYSE corporations, etc.

Old one-horse farms like mine that supported a single family have nearly disappeared. Now they are either weekend getaways for city folk or retiree showplaces, or more likely have been subdivided for commuter communities. The population here has gone from 8 million to 38 million in my lifetime and all that new housing was put on what was some of the finest farmland in the world.

So its interesting to see landholdings that are simply enjoyed by families, and are not pressured out of existence by high taxes or development.

Again, I appreciate seeing all these photos.

BoneheadNW

Some people have predicted that, in the not-too-distant future, long commutes will become unaffordable (amongst other changes) and thus suburban sprawl that you describe will revert back to farmland. Having lived in S. California and with family still there, I have made the drive from here to there many times and know of what you speak. It amazes me that people commute to the larger cities (in the Bay Area for example) from the Central Valley and areas in between. It used to be just smaller farms- now it is huge fields of tomatoes, vineyards, etc. with housing developments.
Bonehead

x595

Bone , nice place you have , I guess good news for the Van and bad news for the Tractor ...

California , your place is just fine and glad you was able to keep it in the family ...

You talking about the past and all , what I don't understand is how all of the Grand Farm Barns and Outbuildings you see across our Nation is left to deterioration and forgotten about , it's a shame ...

Later,x595

BigAl

Heres mind ,but I ain't quite done building it yet . 1400 sq.ft apartment upstairs

Attachments

• 1911.jpg
    1911.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 320
  • 1910.jpg
    1910.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 315

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful Al. Is that your place in Idaho?
Is all of the 1st floor garage? That would be awesome!!!!!!!

BigAl

Beautiful Al. Is that your place in Idaho?
Is all of the 1st floor garage? That would be awesome!!!!!!!

Yep , thats it / First floor is two stalls , two tack rooms, one hobby room,one full bath, one laudry room, one tool room , one repair and mechanics area , room for at least 4 cars, and 20 tons of hay

x595

BigAl , that is one nice Tractor Shed/Human Shed/piece of Property !!! How far out from the town folk are you ???

Later,x595

BigAl

BigAl , that is one nice Tractor Shed/Human Shed/piece of Property !!! How far out from the town folk are you ???

Later,x595
Only about 2 miles to the little town of Elk City but we are 54 miles from anything more than a gas stop/cafe ..
More likely to be ran over by a ATV Deer ,Elk, or Moose than a car up here . Last year we had a Moose and baby in town so everyone was pickin up kids to take them to school .

J

jeepfreak4x4

This a picture of my shed - I built it originally for my wife's dog training business, but it has since become mine...
you cant see the 7x9 garage door on the far end, but having a 16x24 shed is a wonderful addition. My wife said I couldn't build anything so "difficult" but 13 days later, I got to this point. Since then the walls were insulated, and sheet rock was hung, mud was slung, and paint was done!!!

Day%5E_13c.jpg

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
This a picture of my shed - I built it originally for my wife's dog training business, but it has since become mine...
you cant see the 7x9 garage door on the far end, but having a 16x24 shed is a wonderful addition. My wife said I couldn't build anything so "difficult" but 13 days later, I got to this point. Since then the walls were insulated, and sheet rock was hung, mud was slung, and paint was done!!!

Day%5E_13c.jpg

Sounds nice . I,m just getting a red X though . Bob