Industrial Tires

Mith

You can get heavy ply AGs. Got a pair of 8 ply on mine, max inflation is 60psi or something.
Might be that they are putting tyres on with a slightly lower load capacity to that of the front axle, so if you put much heavier tyres on you wont know its so overloaded.

Dougster

Old Member
You can get heavy ply AGs. Got a pair of 8 ply on mine, max inflation is 60psi or something.
Might be that they are putting tyres on with a slightly lower load capacity to that of the front axle, so if you put much heavier tyres on you wont know its so overloaded.
The funny thing is that the differences I'm seeing... and the apparent accelerated wear/deterioration that I'd love to avoid... seem to relate more to the composition and strength/hardness of the rubber than to the ply rating, although it could be that the two go hand and hand for all I know. :confused:

Given industrial tire prices and other priorities, I'm probably not going to be upgrading tires anytime soon. Gotta save up to address that split and those gosh-darned punctures first! :rolleyes:

Related to this, does anyone know if moderate to major flaws in fairly new rubber tracks... as found on certain skidsteers and mini-excavators... can somehow be repaired? :confused:

Dougster

Mith

Sorry, should have used the quote feature, my reply on the ply rating was regarding the weight ratings rather than the wear.

I would have thought that industrial would be better against wear on hard surfaces, that is what they are designed for afterall.
My tractor only weighs about 2000lbs, and I can see the tyres wearing on concrete, they leave black tread marks, and you can see the top of the cleats getting scuffed. Fortunately my use on the hard stuff is limited.

Why can't R1s be made with the rating of R4s? With loaders and round bales, it would seem to reason today's tractors carry more weight on front. I have lost chunks of ribbing on the tires of my old Ford. Stumps do that sometimes. Are the Titans, as equipped on the Mahindras, lower in the quality department? On another note, my dealer gave me some pink valve stem caps. I painted them red to match the Big Red Beast.:thumb:
hugs, Brandi

Brandi,
I have 12 plys on the rear of my tractor. I believe you can get a heavier tire for the front too.

Ed,
I have 6 ply all around. When I need new tires, I will search out the higher rated tires.
hugs, Brandi

Brandi,
The rears are no problem finding 12 plys. The fronts are a different story. I think your tractor has 9.5R24's on the front. If you can't find them in 12 ply you might do one of two things. Get new rims and wider fronts w/ a 12 ply rating, or go with the existing size and have them hard filled, this is only if you don't mind a slightly bumpy ride. :mrgreen:

Archdean

I think your answer is pretty much on the mark. I see these smallish, cheap Chinese tractors coming over and being sold with aggies and I wonder how happy a homeowner can possibly be with that combo.

I would only dispute the notion that R4's will outlast a tractor. I am experiencing plenty of wear and deterioration with my Titans... plus some ugly punctures and one split. My front tires... not true R4's but skidsteer tires... are wearing noticeably and chunking. Part of the problem is that I work mobile and can't load the tires... meaning some occasional loss of traction and slippage. It also may indicate my lack of experience dealing with certain tough terrain (read: rocky) jobs, but I sure don't see these current Titan tires lasting forever given the residential client grading & excavation work I do.

Dougster

For your purposes I suggest you look at the solid rubber tires designed for skid steers / forklifts and are designed to be better at " dealing with certain tough terrain (read: rocky) jobs," Your next best bet is a small dozer with steel tracks, lacking that expense I did have a set of rubber tracks for my Bobcat 754 w/12 plys but really didn't need nor like them and they were returned to my dealer!

I run Titans R4's 8 ply front and back w/o the problems that you describe, I'm unable to speak to other brands!

Dougster

Old Member
For your purposes I suggest you look at the solid rubber tires designed for skid steers / forklifts and are designed to be better at " dealing with certain tough terrain (read: rocky) jobs," Your next best bet is a small dozer with steel tracks, lacking that expense I did have a set of rubber tracks for my Bobcat 754 w/12 plys but really didn't need nor like them and they were returned to my dealer!

I run Titans R4's 8 ply front and back w/o the problems that you describe, I'm unable to speak to other brands!
The funny thing is that you look at an easy appearing job... like a patio prep job... and you think to yourself: "How many dang sharp rocks can there be under there"??? :confused: Then you get the job and one week later you find out!!! :eek: OhMyGawd!!! :eek2:

Those solid rubber tires might be nice for the front of the Red Beast... but they are oh so expensive. Gotta buy new wheels too... an expensive solution to what is still mainly a curious nuisance problem.

Steel tracks are out for me... at least for now. I may buy a rubber-tracked mini-excavator In January (i.e., next tax year)... I just looked at a pretty good deal in a used machine yesterday.

I must admit that I love the ASV RC-50 and RC-60. ASV's are practically a status symbol among high-end landscapers around here. I continue to bid slightly used ones every chance I get... but they are most likely out of my price range for a very long time to come. Folks all say that wheeled skidsteers cost a lot less and make the most sense... but a tracked machine would really be perfect for some of the jobs I've lost just because the heavy, awkward, tippy Red Beast couldn't quite go there. :rolleyes:

Dougster

Mith

Dougster, if your main problem is stuff giving you punctures over here we have a product called nailguard. Its a liner made from braided kevlar and rubber I believe that goes inbetween the inside of the tyre and an inner tube.
Word is, they are the dogs...., well, you get the idea, very good in any case.
Maybe there is a similar product on the market in the USA.

Dougster

Old Member
Dougster, if your main problem is stuff giving you punctures over here we have a product called nailguard. Its a liner made from braided kevlar and rubber I believe that goes inbetween the inside of the tyre and an inner tube.
Word is, they are the dogs...., well, you get the idea, very good in any case.
Maybe there is a similar product on the market in the USA.
In the crazy world of the Dougster, my tire wear & deterioration problem doesn't even make the top ten... so I don't want anyone to think this is a crisis. As I said earlier, it is more of a curious nuisance issue that I'll need to keep in mind when the time does come to replace my tires. I don't think there is much I can do to slow the external deterioration. I address the punctures as they happen or as I find them. Someday when it makes sense, those tires will have to be patched from the inside and that one nasty split will have to be addressed.

In the end, I'm not sure I'd want to spend a lot of money trying something internal that would address only punctures. External wear, chunking and splitting are far more of a concern.

Dougster