Backblading a bad idea?

Dougster

Old Member
My Kubota papers says to use the 'heel' of the bucket. I think they would have said not to do it if it would have hurt something. Of course any time you 'rub' something on the ground there is a certain amount of wear. (Mabe they want to sell me a new one if this one wears out?)
Once I bought my monster CAT skidsteer bucket... I stopped worrying about bucket wear and tear forever. It will outlive me and the Red Beast by decades. My light-duty bucket is another matter. I've already bought the steel to reinforce the bottom edge... but my lack of welding skill and, apparently, correct welding machinery has put the job on hold until spring. :eek:

Dougster

I am aware of the cautions and of the high ram forces involved in high dump angle back blading. My experience of 340hrs with the ML275 on the 7520 is that it can take it. This doesnt mean you cant hurt it by being careless - only that youre not likely to break it at any angle using steadily applied force as opposed to hitting something at speed. I have BDed at 90 with loaded AG rears scratching and the loaded fronts in the air. Ive done this so many times to start penetration that Im thru worrying about it - just go slow and back the angle down when you dont need it. I also back drag logs at more than 90 since this tends to lift the log and prevent rolling it and skating over. It also brings the point of force application upward on the bucket which moderates the force on the rams. Altho I know these are extreme cases I do these when I need the full capability offered by the machine. Based on many experiences at the limit, I wouldnt think twice aboutgoing to high angles of 80 or less when BDing with this TL combination.
larry

I do not wish to argue the capability of our tractors, that is for sure.:forgetit: A lot of the compacts don't have the linkage or the strength of our tractors. Mahindra recommends 15 degrees or less for back dragging. Myself, I have no idea:confused: why anybody would want to back drag dirt with the bucket at a steep angle. If the desired result is to smooth and flatten, then having the bottom of the bucket flat with the ground is what I have found to work the best. Having 24 inches dragging dirt works better that 1/4 ".

Just my experience, yours may be different.

SPYDERLK

Myself, I have no idea:confused: why anybody would want to back drag dirt with the bucket at a steep angle. If the desired result is to smooth and flatten, then having the bottom of the bucket flat with the ground is what I have found to work the best. Having 24 inches dragging dirt works better that 1/4 ".

That would be when you need some penetration in harder stuff to move it back and feather it into a lower area. I will start out at a high angle and modify it while moving. Typically a long pull will include custom modifying the angle back and forth while moving so as to suit whats needed in different parts of the drag. I find it wiil re-rise to hi angle even during a front suspended BD. That shows that pressures under normal conditions do not go above relief. That in itself is a relief
larry

That would be when you need some penetration in harder stuff to move it back and feather it into a lower area. I will start out at a high angle and modify it while moving. Typically a long pull will include custom modifying the angle back and forth while moving so as to suit whats needed in different parts of the drag. I find it wiil re-rise to hi angle even during a front suspended BD. That shows that pressures under normal conditions do not go above relief. That in itself is a relief
larry

Larry, I'm thinking that you are using your bucket where I use one of my rear blades and that is why I am not following your use of the bucket. The only time that I do what you are talking about is when I am working with our 580 backhoe.

Bindian

Larry, I'm thinking that you are using your bucket where I use one of my rear blades and that is why I am not following your use of the bucket. The only time that I do what you are talking about is when I am working with our 580 backhoe.
Brian,
You got a point there.:Tip-Hat2: I am clearing brush with mine. I have been using it all the way down pointing to the ground. But only in low 1st gear.:thumb: I too, roll logs with the bucket while I am backing up. One day I may yank a rod out of a cylinder, but that will be one day.:waiting:
hugs, Brandi

Dougster

Old Member
Brian,
You got a point there.:Tip-Hat2: I am clearing brush with mine. I have been using it all the way down pointing to the ground. But only in low 1st gear.:thumb: I too, roll logs with the bucket while I am backing up. One day I may yank a rod out of a cylinder, but that will be one day.:waiting:
hugs, Brandi
Somehow, I don't think that all you rich members of the ML275 club have an awful lot to worry about. ;)

Dougster

I do not wish to argue the capability of our tractors, that is for sure.:forgetit: A lot of the compacts don't have the linkage or the strength of our tractors. Mahindra recommends 15 degrees or less for back dragging. Myself, I have no idea:confused: why anybody would want to back drag dirt with the bucket at a steep angle. If the desired result is to smooth and flatten, then having the bottom of the bucket flat with the ground is what I have found to work the best. Having 24 inches dragging dirt works better that 1/4 ".

Definitely NOT dirt, but when I'm cleaning out the manure bunker...I'll drop the blade semi-vertical down the backwall of the bunker to drag it away from said wall, so I can then run in and scoop almost every last little bit with the FEL to transfer it to the spreader...:mrgreen:

ALso, when I pull snow away from the barn, I use a high vertical, so I get a nice pack and then can run in and scoop up the snow pile...same technique, different color...:mrgreen:

Last edited:

Dougster

Old Member
Definitely NOT dirt, but when I'm cleaning out the manure bunker...I'll drop the blade semi-vertical down the backwall of the bunker to drag it away from said wall, so I can then run in and scoop almost every last little bit with the FEL to transfer it to the spreader...:mrgreen:

ALso, when I pull snow away from the barn, I use a high vertical, so I get a nice pack and then can run in and scoop up the snow pile...same technique, different color...:mrgreen:
Similarly, back dragging large rocks and logs away from trees, buildings and other rocks/logs requires a fairly steep angle to be effective. Using the heel of the bucket for such tasks is too dangerous for me. I can't afford to have those things rolling into my front axle. :badidea:

Dougster

SPYDERLK

Yeah, BBs are great. Often in my case tho, the rear blade will get in the way of maneuvering. The FEL gives more flexibility - down pressure, on the move change in attack angle to dig in, shape or pack down in one pass, ability to reach high and beyond to drag back. Out in the open I would surely employ both, but I am impressed and gratified that the FEL can take firm treatment. I would venture that all FELs that are correctly sized for their tractor will not be harmed by taking advantage of a fairly high BD angle. However, I am basing this on only my use of the loaders on Mahindras and Kubotas. That said, the one on the MH is far the most impressive.:respect:
larry

Bindian

Somehow, I don't think that all you rich members of the ML275 club have an awful lot to worry about. ;)

Dougster

WOW, I didn't know there was a club for us. The local Army reserve just called. They want to use my 6520 & ML275 to lift one of their tanks out of the mud.:poke:
hugs, Brandi

Bindian

Yeah, BBs are great. Often in my case tho, the rear blade will get in the way of maneuvering. The FEL gives more flexibility - down pressure, on the move change in attack angle to dig in, shape or pack down in one pass, ability to reach high and beyond to drag back. Out in the open I would surely employ both, but I am impressed and gratified that the FEL can take firm treatment. I would venture that all FELs that are correctly sized for their tractor will not be harmed by taking advantage of a fairly high BD angle. However, I am basing this on only my use of the loaders on Mahindras and Kubotas. That said, the one on the MH is far the most impressive.:respect:
larry
I only had a BB and a rotary cutter to use for 3 years before I bought my ML275. I used the BB for all kinds of unmentionable things. But I love the ML275 with it's 84 inch bucket for working dirt smooth and level after having fun with my backhoe. I would use the loader any day over my old BB. There is way more control, unless you have TNT like Brian does. Working brush, the loader bucket is a hands down winner over a BB. It definitely is easier on my neck.
hugs, Brandi

I only had a BB and a rotary cutter to use for 3 years before I bought my ML275. I used the BB for all kinds of unmentionable things. But I love the ML275 with it's 84 inch bucket for working dirt smooth and level after having fun with my backhoe. I would use the loader any day over my old BB. There is way more control, unless you have TNT like Brian does. Working brush, the loader bucket is a hands down winner over a BB. It definitely is easier on my neck.
hugs, Brandi

All tractors should have these.:thumb:

Attachments

• PB040030.JPG
    PB040030.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 127
MtnView has just said he's going to make sure that everyone here has a TNT...all right...:thumb:
I'm first in line...:mrgreen:

Wait just a garsh darned moment, just because I said that all tractors should have a TNT didn't imply that I was going to pay for all tractors to get them.:badidea: I'm not Bill Gates you know. I think that it should be a more common option though.;)

Dougster

Old Member
Wait just a garsh darned moment, just because I said that all tractors should have a TNT didn't imply that I was going to pay for all tractors to get them.:badidea: I'm not Bill Gates you know. I think that it should be a more common option though.;)
Sorry... but we already know you've got more money (and toys) than GOD!!! :thumb:

I'll take a Cat 1 set-up if you please! Thank you! :)

Dougster

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter

The neighbors L5030 has TNT. It is handier than a pocket on a shirt.

Just send me the parts for an L3040. I can install it myself :yankchain:

Brian couldn't afford a backhoe. :eek:

:yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum:

Dougster

You are absolutely correct, my 580 Case extendahoe was less $$$$ than if I had bought a 511. That is one of the reasons that I have such a hard time with all these removable backhoes that everybody has. Why buy one of those when you can have a full size one for less $$$$?:confused: Unless you have size restrictions or transportation issues, why would you buy one of the removable hoes?

Attachments

• P3310028.JPG
    P3310028.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 95