TC24D

Missy

Hi-
I'm new at tractors, and we've got 5 acres and 2 horses to look after with my husband Mike. We've recently found a NH TC24D, a 2001 with 560 hrs on it. It's got a front loader on it and comes with a pulverizer (?) and a box rake. :confused:

It seems like New Holland has had 2 mods since this one, and I'm wondering if this means there were some significant changes made and if so why? Can anyone help me out with some pro's and con's on this particular tractor?

We've managed with nothing but a z-drive for cutting the pastures for 5 yrs now, but there's so much to do- posts need replacing, dirt moving, rock piles, etc... plus admit it- what guy doesn't want his own tractor? I just want to get him one that will do the job but not bust our limited retiree budget.

Thanks!
Missy

Mith

Welcome to NTT Missy,

Member Jbrumburg has a TC24D if I recall correctly, I'll reckon he'll be along in a bit with his thoughts.

560 hours is barely broken in though, you might have hit a winner on that tractor.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the Forum!

I'm a Kubota guy but some of the NH folks should be here sooner or later and can help you.

Like Mith said 540 hours is not that much.

Post pictures of your place when you have a chance.

We have something similar here. 5 acres with 2 horses.

Jim

jbrumberg

Hi-
I'm new at tractors, and we've got 5 acres and 2 horses to look after with my husband Mike. We've recently found a NH TC24D, a 2001 with 560 hrs on it. It's got a front loader on it and comes with a pulverizer (?) and a box rake. :confused:

It seems like New Holland has had 2 mods since this one, and I'm wondering if this means there were some significant changes made and if so why? Can anyone help me out with some pro's and con's on this particular tractor?

We've managed with nothing but a z-drive for cutting the pastures for 5 yrs now, but there's so much to do- posts need replacing, dirt moving, rock piles, etc... plus admit it- what guy doesn't want his own tractor? I just want to get him one that will do the job but not bust our limited retiree budget.

Thanks!
Missy

:wave: Missy and Hubby to NTT :D! This is a friendly site, but let me warn you there is a cast of 100's of "interesting characters" here :cool: . I have a NH TC29DA and I have had no complaints with this tractor. My wife is telecommuting today because of the weather here in western MA so I have to log off right now, but I will be back to "wax prolific" about the Boomers :eek: . Please introduce yourself in the introductions and get a chance to get to know us. Tell them Jay sent you :rolleyes:. Jay :letitsnow:

PS: I think the 560 hours are low and if the tractor was well maintained go for it. I also think for moving around in stalls and maintaining 5A's the "24" should meet your needs.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I also think for moving around in stalls and maintaining 5A's the "24" should meet your needs.

Jay, how does the 24 compare to the Kubota BX2350? We have a 2350 and it is GREAT around the stalls and will pull the manure spreader as if it wasn't even there.

I've posted a picture. You can see my L3400 in the background.

Jim

Attachments

• cleaning_tun_outs.jpg
    cleaning_tun_outs.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 52

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Missy,
Welcome to NTT. I know that member jwstewar has a TC24, his might be the TC24DA. If I remember correctly he bought his in 2003. He may log in and let you know more specifics on what changed over the years. He is definitely busy right now with his House Rebuilding (read all about it over at www.forumsforums.com ). He uses his to maintain approx 5 acres.
Mine is the Class I TC18. That model has no D or DA designation.

irwin

Hi-

Thanks!
Missy

Hiya Missy;:wave:

One thing I've been noticing, a good deal on a low hour big name tractor, means a sold tractor, to someone else unles it's a friend of yours that selling it. The high priced and high mileage tractors seem to be forever on sale. Been looking for another one for a while.
I have a 24 horse older J.Deere with loader and backhoe, and even my penny pinching much better half is glad we have it, made a huge difference in how much gets done on our own 7 acre 2 horse farm.

The big difference for many is the transmission type, mine is gear shift, similar to a manual on a car, sept you stop to shift out of and into any gear, lots of guys (and gals) love a hydro transmission due to it's ease of operation, less work to reverse or speed up. Might be a good idea to drive a few at a dealership, just to experience the differences.

Missy

5 acres, 2 horses, no tractor

Wow! That's fast you guys- Gone a few hours and you all are all over this. Mike and I are sched to see this rig on Friday. We're both retired CG, and he's an engineer, so he does the check-out. I'm the operator, so I get to drive it!:wink:

I'm hoping that it's in good shape, the pics look good.

Some of you asked to see our place. I'll get some and put them here soon. Thanks for all of your input. I'm glad to hear that this size tractor is enough for our size place.

I'll keep checking in for any more info.

L8R
Missy

Missy

Follow up with Jay

:wave: Missy and Hubby to NTT :D! This is a friendly site, but let me warn you there is a cast of 100's of "interesting characters" here :cool: . I have a NH TC29DA and I have had no complaints with this tractor. My wife is telecommuting today because of the weather here in western MA so I have to log off right now, but I will be back to "wax prolific" about the Boomers :eek: . Please introduce yourself in the introductions and get a chance to get to know us. Tell them Jay sent you :rolleyes:. Jay :letitsnow:

PS: I think the 560 hours are low and if the tractor was well maintained go for it. I also think for moving around in stalls and maintaining 5A's the "24" should meet your needs.

So Jay- sounds like you're the one I need to get the low down on the TC24D line... I did post some info on the intro page. MIke and I would appreciate any leads you can give on this tractor.
Thanks!
Missy

jbrumberg

Missy & Mike:

I just lost my second "long winded tome" to you two to the gods of the internet and dialup :pat:. In order to save our sanities (Mine is already questiond around here.) as well as eyesight I will be brief. The TC line is a solid line of tractors. I believe that the "24" will meet your long term needs for a lot of reasons (already lost :mad:). Do not get hung up on HP. 560 hours is really just past "break in" so do not worry about hours. I also would not worry about replacement parts for the TC line. The biggest complaints about the TC's was gauges, switches, and fuses, but I have not had any problems with mine. If the tractor is in good shape and well maintained go for it if the price is right. Tractors are a long term investment; I would not worry about the model changes. I am very curious about your "pulverizer". Please send pictures. Jay :D

PS: Do not fear those who use :starbucks: and :letitsnow: smilies. Feel free to send me any questions. I am more than willing to help you out and I do not sleep very much.

Missy & Mike:

I just lost my second "long winded tome" to you two to the gods of the internet and dialup :pat:. In order to save our sanities (Mine is already questiond around here.) as well as eyesight I will be brief. The TC line is a solid line of tractors. I believe that the "24" will meet your long term needs for a lot of reasons (already lost :mad:). Do not get hung up on HP. 560 hours is really just past "break in" so do not worry about hours. I also would not worry about replacement parts for the TC line. The biggest complaints about the TC's was gauges, switches, and fuses, but I have not had any problems with mine. If the tractor is in good shape and well maintained go for it if the price is right. Tractors are a long term investment; I would not worry about the model changes. I am very curious about your "pulverizer". Please send pictures. Jay :D

PS: Do not fear those who use :starbucks: and :letitsnow: smilies. Feel free to send me any questions. I am more than willing to help you out and I do not sleep very much.

Jay...you need to start doing your tomes in WORD and pasting it in when you are ready to send...:rolleyes:

Like on her other thread...I gave her the best advice...don't sweat your first tractor purchase...because in general, it won't be your last...:D

jwstewar

Staff member
Missy,

Like Jerry said, I have a 2003 NH TC24D. It has been a good little tractor. I'm over 800 hours on it now. I maintain a little over 7 1/2 acres with it. No horses, but my daughter would love to have some. If I knew what I was doing I would probably give in a get a couple.:yum:

Anyway, tractor wise I love it. Sometimes I wish it was a little bigger, but then all of a sudden I'm doing something that tells me I bought the right size. My neighbor has a 36 HP Long. He likes my tractor much better. He says it is better size for what we do and he likes the NH loader design better. I can actually fit more stuff in my bucket because of the way the are designed.

I've had a couple of little fluid leaks, but nothing that wasn't taken care of by tightening a line or a bolt here and there. There is a bit of the problem where the seat mount develops some stress cracks, but usually a piece of steel run underneath the seat will fix that problem.

I use the 60" MMM to mow about 5 acres. I then use a 4' cutter to mow the other 2.5+ acres 3 or 4 times a year. I also use a 60" tiller, 60" box blade, 60" scraper blade, and an 12" auger. Also use it to pull my little trailer around the yard, I guess I also use to put our big trailer in place. It moves our 28' camper like it isn't even there. I used it to build our 30x48 pole barn. I also dug a small Koi pond for my wife's flower garden - she now wants to redo the pond and enlarge it.

I love my little blue beast. Just wish I had a mini-excavator to go with it.

Oh, some of the things that changed on the newer DA lines was the placement of the throttle lever and the headlight switch and they changed the front headlights. I like my throttle lever placement better, but I would like the new headlight location because my knee always hits the switch and turns my headlights off and I end up in the dark for a second or 2 (like that is unusual) until I figure out what happened. Headlight wise, I like the looks of mine better, but the new ones supposed shine a little more to the side. Either way, you'll want to add some to the ROPS as the loader will block the lights on front anyway. Any way, the new TC26DA is pretty much the same as a TC24DA, except 2 extra HP. I don't believe the changed the HST anyway, so that will still be your limiting factor. The hydro pressure relieve valve will usually kick before your motor runs out of power.

jbrumberg

Jay...you need to start doing your tomes in WORD and pasting it in when you are ready to send...:rolleyes:

Like on her other thread...I gave her the best advice...don't sweat your first tractor purchase...because in general, it won't be your last...:D

Paul:

Sage advise for Missy and Mark as well as for me. Seat/tractor comfort level has had a lot of influence on my tractor acquisitions as well as dealer "feel" as I have bought my tractors from local dealers. Thanks- Jay :letitsnow:

jbrumberg

Jim: Come to think of it I had one small hydraulic leak at the connector clamp for the hydraulic radiator (no big deal). The DA light design does throw a little more light out to the front sides, but it still kind of dark in front when working the FEL at night. I also have a grill guard which does affect the light pattern to a degree. I will ultimately add some additional lighting forward from the ROPS/FOPS (on the list :rolleyes: ). I still believe the HST is unchanged- two range. I really think NH did a bone head move when the went to the TZ series instead of keeping some of the TC's. I believe the TC's to be more solid machines. Jay :letitsnow:

PS: Missy and Mark: Good luck and keep us posted. This should be a fun activity. Have fun and send pictures.

jbrumberg

Jay, how does the 24 compare to the Kubota BX2350? We have a 2350 and it is GREAT around the stalls and will pull the manure spreader as if it wasn't even there.

I've posted a picture. You can see my L3400 in the background.

Jim

Jim: I never really compared the TC24DA to the BX2350, but I did some serious comparisons between the NH's TC30 and TC29DA and several of the Kubotas B2630 HSD, B2910, B3030 HSD, the L2800 and L3400. It was a pretty difficult decision because of the similarities. I obviously went with the TC29DA more for the tractor's ergonomics as they "fit" me as well as my long term relationship with the NH dealer. But I really liked the L3400 (Dealer turned me off). If I ever have to go to a cab I guess I will be talking to Kubota. Jay :letitsnow:

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Jay, I was thinking more of physical size than anything. The BX gets around the stalls and turnouts just fine and the 23 hp is enough for its size.. The L3400 just won't fit in some places. Same with the bucket, the L3400 is to wide for the manure spreader. Every bucket load drops some off the end of the spreader and then I have "stuff" to clean up. The BX bucket is just right.

jbrumberg

Jim:

I agree about the size challenge. I do not have horses nor stalls, but I have trails and woods that I need to negotiate. A midsize frame tractor best fits my needs even if I could use a little more HP every now and then. I have no problems reminding myself that I maintained the same property with a 13/11+ HP 4WMFWD tractor for many years. Jay

PS: I really do miss my little Ford 1100 :(.

Missy

Paints. Here's a pic of our gelding, Peace

Jim
Jim-
Nice looking horse! I've got a bay arab, Tim (my avatar), and Mike's got a palamino Rocky Mountain, Dusty.

We've got a double slant load trailer with LQ- when you say you move your trailer around with your tractor, you mean something like this? How?

Missy