2010 RTV900 Transmission Issues - won't move

JD9000

Hi All,

Looking for some help or suggestions here. I have a 2010 Kubota RTV 900 G9 series purchased used (from golf course) with 1500 hrs. Just put a plow on it this fall and after the first use, there appears to be an issue with the transmission.

Problem:
Plowed a few passes and was working fine, backed up, then shifted forward and there was no power then on. I can shift through all the gears and all linkages appear to function correctly but it won't move forward or reverse. Of note, there is no resistance like there was previously when shifting through gears. ie I usually always have to use the hydro-static release to shift in addition to lots of brake pressure.

Observations / Checks:
  • All transmission linkages appear to function correctly
  • verified transmission oil level and added a little UDT. All appears ok.
  • Hydraulic pump for dump box works fine. I believe this implies that the driveshaft from the motor in the transmission is turning or at least the part that drives the dump hydraulic pump.
  • Interesting note, I ran the engine yesterday for about an hour in -5C temperature outside and the transmission oil did warm up to about approx 15-20C (warm to touch). This makes me think the pump part of the transmission is working assuming it generated heat from transmission fluid moving around.
  • spoke to dealer about some common issues and they mentioned the range gear shift forks can break inside the transmission - this does seem to align to my problem. Pic of parts page attached for reference.

My thoughts are the issue has to do with either the motor part of the transmission or gearbox inside.

Does anyone have any recommendations on further checks to diagnose the problem or have you ever changed the gear shift forks on this unit?

Thanks

Attachments

• shift fork.jpg
    shift fork.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 66

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
to confirm the forks are shifting the gears. put the unit in any gear and get out and push it by hand on a level concrete surface. then shift into neutral to compare. if the gears are engaging you will notice a substantial difference. you can do this with the engine off or running. i would do both and compare. also make sure the park brake is released and not stuck at the axles. you can confirm this by rolling in neutral.

JD9000

Thanks! This is a great tip! I'll try it out tomorrow when it warms up and let post the results. I'm hoping this is it as dealer said replacing forks run around $500 vs the transmission assembly $$$!

to confirm the forks are shifting the gears. put the unit in any gear and get out and push it by hand on a level concrete surface. then shift into neutral to compare. if the gears are engaging you will notice a substantial difference. you can do this with the engine off or running. i would do both and compare. also make sure the park brake is released and not stuck at the axles. you can confirm this by rolling in neutral.