Need Trailer for hauling tractor

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The price of gas has caused my dealer to raise his cost for pickup and return of a tractor to $3 per mile. I'm 40 miles away. I hate the thought of paying $240 dollars just for hauling my tractor to and from the dealer, so I'm looking at my options and thinking of getting a trailer.

I have a Kubota Grand L 3010 which weight is listed at 2900 lbs. With loaded tires and the front end loader I'd guess I'm close to 4500 lbs. So I would want a tandem axle trailer for sure. What type is best for hauling a tractor? Would a car hauler fit the bill or a utility type trailer? What kind of trailer do you have to get the job done?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I use a 16' (+2' dovetail) utility.

It's rated at 7K# so that size would work for you.

As pictured here, you can see I put rails on the sides but the tractor fits easily between them.

Ramps are stored under the deck.

Oh, and those logs are damn heavy... I "might" have been a little over my weight limit with those. :hide:

Attachments

• 2012-10-23_09-25-47_672.jpg
    2012-10-23_09-25-47_672.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 55

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Get a utility trailer. If you can't find a use for it all time, your neighbors will. :mrgreen:

As for a a car hauler, check that the gap between rails isn't too broad for your front tires. I brought my larger Yanmar home on one rented from U-Haul. It was a nuisance to back the tractor on with no margin for steering it. I wouldn't buy that trailer for my use.

My little 4x8 was sufficient for bringing home the smaller Yanmar. Just within the 2k rated capacity, dimensions, car's rated towing capacity, everything.

Neither tractor has ever been off the property since.

attachment.php

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks guys. Good info.
I wondered about the gap between ramps on a car hauler. The reason I'm even considering a car hauler is because I already have a single axle 12x6 utility trailer that does me great for most things ....but underrated for my tractor dang it.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
This is what I thought of when I read "car hauler". But Cal was talking about a Uhaul car hauler which is much smaller.

My utility trailer is 18' and rated 7,000 but Doc's tractor would ruin the mesh tailgate

Attachments

• carhauler.jpg
    carhauler.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 51

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks nice Jerry. Is that the huge trailer place in Grove City? I was looking at their site the other day. Off hand do you know what one like that would run? Guessing it is 16' long.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Just saw your post with the car hauler. That is a nice one to. I'm drooling. :yum:

So you think my tractor would be to much for the mesh tailgate?

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Just saw your post with the car hauler. That is a nice one to. I'm drooling. :yum:

So you think my tractor would be to much for the mesh tailgate?

Yes that is Rocks in Grove City. I didn't see what the prices were. And I'm on my phone right now. I'm guessing the car hauler would be under $4000. And the utility was under $3000. He may have some used ones too.
I think the mesh tailgate wouldn't stay straight for very long. But the width might be an issue on the utility.

urednecku

Thanks guys. Good info.
I wondered about the gap between ramps on a car hauler. The reason I'm even considering a car hauler is because I already have a single axle 12x6 utility trailer that does me great for most things ....but underrated for my tractor dang it.

Just a thought, check to see if adding another axle, or maybe a pair, would work on your trailer. After bending an axle on my gooseneck I had the 2 3500# axles replaced with a pair of 7000#, jack replaced with a new one, and they went over the lights for less than 1/2 the price I could find another used trailer the same size for.

ItBmine

I wanted an open side car hauler for hauling my 55 Allis Chalmers to the shows and pulls, and to bring my RTV home, but thanks to covid no one around here had anything in stock and new orders were 5 to 6 months out. So I ended up with this because my Kubota dealer had a couple in stock. It's only got a 5700 pound load capacity, but it's enough for what I need to haul.
Only bad thing about having sides is I can't open the door very wide on the RTV to get in and out. But all it would take is to load it on top of a set of planks and the doors would clear the sides.
And I wanted 18 foot but had to settle for 16.

Attachments

• 20210505_180006.jpg
    20210505_180006.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210505_181759.jpg
    20210505_181759.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210505_181609.jpg
    20210505_181609.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Doc

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Tilt bed 20 ft. 14k rated. sold trailer with ramps a few years ago. Saves back and don’t have to worry about backing down the ramps.

Attachments

• 39418883-7DB8-4094-B90F-01DFF8E73F4F.jpeg
    39418883-7DB8-4094-B90F-01DFF8E73F4F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Reactions: Doc