wheel rusting around filler nozzle

dgerwig

Gents

Just got my tractor 2 weeks ago and today I noticed this: Can this be welded or brazed to strengthen the area? Is it time for a tube? The rest of the L2900 is so immaculate (garage kept - 700 hrs) and since I've never had filled tires, I never thought to look for a problem here!

Cheers

David

Attachments

• IMG_2002.jpg
    IMG_2002.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 53

urednecku

I'd say there is more than water in that tire. Some people use Calcium chloride for ballast because it does not freeze. Don't know where you are, but around here, in central Florida, we don't need it. We just use plain water. Others where it does get cold enough to freeze tires, use regular anti-freeze or 'rim guard', which I think is beet juice. It it were me I think I'd drain that tire, remove it & the tube from the rim. Then sand-blast & re-paint the rim. Clean up the tube & everything GOOD before putting it back on. And if you need the tires loaded, use something besides Calcium chloride.

Just my opinion!

OrangeBuggy

My Dad restored a Farmall H a few years back and the rims were rotted out at the stem, other wise they were in really good shape. What he did was find a couple of beat up rims, cut out the good area in them then cut out the bad area in his rims and welded the prices in. Did some grinding and nice finish work to them. You never know it was done. Don't know if yours are that bad, but if so it may be an option for you.