Kubota BX2200 problem

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
I have a BX2200 that I bought new at the end of 2000. It has been a good tractor until this year. Earlier this year I had a lot of hydraulic hose leaks. Many of the leaking hoses were under the tractor, and almost impossible to get to without a major disassembly of the tractor. The dealer kept the tractor for about 6 weeks and never did fix all of the hydraulic problems. Fortunately we have a company in the area that will come to your farm and make up replacement hydraulic hoses. They can't handle the steel hoses, but do replace the flexible hoses.

My latest problem has to do with starting the tractor. As soon as you turn the ignition key to the start position, the tractor starts like it always did. However, when you release the key and the key automatically returns to the run position, the tractor shuts down. It does this just like you turned the key to off.

Well, being a complete novice, I said that sounds like a bad ignition switch. I called a Kubota parts dealer and asked his opinion. Yep, bad ignition. So I bought a new ignition switch, and guess what, it didn't fix anything.

I still have the problem of the tractor starting, but when you release the key, the tractor shuts off.

I'm lost as to what may be causing this problem. The dealer can't pick it up until Friday, and expects it will take at least a week to repair.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks, Bob

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Any chance you got a bad ignition switch? Sure sounds like that has to be the problem. :confused: Keep us posted.

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
Any chance you got a bad ignition switch? Sure sounds like that has to be the problem. :confused: Keep us posted.

Um, Doc, that is the first thing I tried, and it did not fix the problem.

Anyone else?

Bob

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bob, I read your reply and know you tried that. I recently went crazy with an electronic distriutor module got a new one and still had the problem. Turned out the 1st new one was bad. Unusual but it happens. I thought maybe you got a bad ignition switch. Stranger things have happened.
Any way to bypass the switch and wire it up direct?

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
Bob, I read your reply and know you tried that. I recently went crazy with an electronic distriutor module got a new one and still had the problem. Turned out the 1st new one was bad. Unusual but it happens. I thought maybe you got a bad ignition switch. Stranger things have happened.
Any way to bypass the switch and wire it up direct?

I didn't think about the new switch being bad, but I can see that as a possibility. I don't know if I can wire it direct or not. The manual is out in the garage so I'll have to check it tomorrow. The switch has one of the plastic wiring connectors to connect it to the tractor's wiring harness, so not sure if there is a way to wire it directly or not.

Thanks for the thought.

Bob

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
I checked out the new switch this morning, doing all the tests shown in the manual. Everything tested as it should have, so I'm right back to where I started.

The dealer is picking it up tomorrow.

Bob

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry I couldn't be of help. I will be very interested in hearing what the solution is to this issue.

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
Talked to the dealer yesterday. Seems the fuel shutoff solenoid is bad. They don't have one in stock and it will take about 3 days to get one in from Kubota. I think he said they cost around $150. My maintenance manual mentioned this, but as dense as I am, I could not find it. Sure not a lot of room in that engine compartment, especially with the FEL installed.

Hopefully I'll be back in business by the middle of this coming week.

Bob

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting. Unusual problem from my perspective. What year is your tractor and how many hours do you have on it? Sounds like that is something that will get many of us Kubota owners.

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
Interesting. Unusual problem from my perspective. What year is your tractor and how many hours do you have on it? Sounds like that is something that will get many of us Kubota owners.

We bought it the fall of 2000. It has between 500 & 600 hours. Once I get it back and can see where the bad solenoid is located, maybe I can snap a picture to show everyone where it is located, and how you test it to see if it is bad.

I'm curious to know how it is connected to the fuel system. Assuming the fuel passes through the solenoid, then I'm not sure I would have attempted to replace it myself, especially if the injectors have to be bled.

Hopefully it will be back mid week and ready to go to work.

Bob

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ut Oh. I'm just a couple years behind you. I bought a 2002 model and I'm must over 400 hours.
Yeah, a pic of the location and how to test for the problem would be very handy. Like you, I'm not sure I would attempt to change it myself, but I like to understand the issue. :thumb:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ut Oh. I'm just a couple years behind you. I bought a 2002 model and I'm must over 400 hours.
Yeah, a pic of the location and how to test for the problem would be very handy. Like you, I'm not sure I would attempt to change it myself, but I like to understand the issue. :thumb:

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
We bought it the fall of 2000. It has 840 hours. Once I get it back and can see where the bad solenoid is located, maybe I can snap a picture to show everyone where it is located, and how you test it to see if it is bad.

Bob

The tractor was returned last Saturday. The Engine Stop Solenoid was bad. The new one cost $114.50 plus installation. It must not have been too difficult to install as there was only 2.5 hours of labor billed. Included in the labor was diagnosing the problem; replacing the fan belt; changing the oil, oil filter, air filter, hydraulic filter; and replacing all fuel filters.

The driver who brought it back could not tell me where the solenoid was located. I looked the tractor over and could not spot what I think is the solenoid. They power washed the tractor so it was not as simple as looking for a new part. Plus the FEL is mounted, and it is difficult to remove the side engine covers with the FEL installed.

Even though I could not find the solenoid, I'm pleased the tractor is running again and I thought the bill was very reasonable.

Bob

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Heck yeah, I would be pleased just to have her back and working. Congrats. Sounds like they went above and beyond with fixing and cleaning her up for you. Got to like that kind of service.
In 2 1/2 hours they can remove and put back lots of pieces parts. I think I'd be glad they did that work for you. :thumb: :D

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Bob,
That's great. A good total price considering all of the other work too.

Janalator

The Engine Stop Solenoid is very simple to replace - two bolts and a wire connection. Takes about 5-10 min. to remove and reinstall. If you face the front of the engine, it is located to the right, slightly recessed. The soleniod on my Kubota BX2200 also went bad - I would like to know where you got one for only $114.50, however.

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
The Engine Stop Solenoid is very simple to replace - two bolts and a wire connection. Takes about 5-10 min. to remove and reinstall. If you face the front of the engine, it is located to the right, slightly recessed. The soleniod on my Kubota BX2200 also went bad - I would like to know where you got one for only $114.50, however.

Janalator, the $114.50 was the price on the invoice for the solenoid. I have no idea how expensive the solenoids are - I can only go by what the dealer charged me for it.

Bob

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
This has been an interesting thread. I have a B2400 that is a year or so older so it may be getting close to time and it'll be something that I'll be looking out for. I just did it's 1600 hour service. It doesn't get the work that it once did, not since the L4740 showed up.

Kerry

I had this happen on a new John Deere 4100 back in 2000. You could put a volt meter on the solenoid and it would show 12 volts going to it. It still would not start. Then after a while it would. Drove me nuts. The dealer came and got it. It drove them nuts for a while.

What they found was when they put on the FEL the guy had to undo the main ground point to move the wires out of the way. After he got the FEL installed he never tightened the ground point back up. Therefore causing intermittent failure.

90lxtc

Just replaced the Stop Solenoid On my BX2200 today...once the front cover is off it is directly on the side of the Injector pump. Right hand side of the Engine. Takes 5-mins to replace. Mine was Plain Locked up and engine would run even if it solenoid was unplugged. However Tractor now will not start......