Backhoe - digs!

olcowhand

Jim could be out there working on this hoe, but like me, he's sitting in front of a computer! Man I do wanna see this thing in action Jim! But right now if you're like me...a cup of coffee & a soft chair....I'm set!

Mith

:D You got it!
Just brewed myself another cup to take me through the next half hour :)

I did more work on it on friday and saturday. Basically all the parts are done now, just need to paint them really, and get the last few hoses. Hopefully have it done by Christmas.

Mith

Supposed to be storm force gales on the coast today, we are about 30 miles inland, and its still pretty unpleasant, lots of water flying about.

Anyway, couple more pics for your viewing pleasure. Just got the bucket linkage and bucket to make now really, and 8 more hoses I believe.

Second picture is the scene under the seat. Just hope they are all connected to the right place!
Pump is towards the front in the middle, and a filter to the back. Bottom left of the picture is the diverter to switch between loader and backhoe, and a guage.

Attachments

• 02-12-07_1509.jpg
    02-12-07_1509.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 02-12-07_1445.jpg
    02-12-07_1445.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 132

Mith

She digs!
Dug a little trench this evening, I need to learn the controls, I pulled the wrong lever many times, so digging wasnt too fast.
Hopefully I'll get to play more on Sunday and I'll get some pics then.

Attachments

• 13-12-07_1852.jpg
    13-12-07_1852.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 129

shinnlinger

Mith,

THat is way cool....how were the hydruallics to deal with? I have yet to venture into this world, but I have been amassing parts to do just that. I have some valves, a pump, a couple of puniy single acting cylinders and a a whole extra valve block that came with my excavator.

It is all old junk and I dont know what I want to build, but the desire is there.

Mith

Shinn, the hydraulics weren't too bad, I bought all new stuff, which takes out 90% of the headaches. The biggest problem is getting all the hoses made the right sizes and fitting them out of the way.

Braved the cold and went digging earlier. A few tweaks to do, and I need to sort some teeth for the bucket, beats a shovel though :D

16-12-07_1322.jpg

Mith

:D No Mrs to upset, but I did dig a hole right outside the workshop door, which was a mistake as it makes entry a little tricky!
'Braved the cold', its been hovering around freezing temp all day, I'm not a fan of the cold!
Cheers

blacksmithman

Great job Now all you need is practice practice practice. Jim will have the yard ,field or forest everthing with long straight ditches. Have fun with your new toy.

blacksmithman

There once was a man overseas
Who would build things with ease
He had this red tractor which he added more wheels
But ended up not a big deal
So he added a loader with a bucket
that when up to the sky.
That was not enough he built a backhoe
to dig a deep ditch if he try.
He said he did not like the cold
But with his new toy he was very bold.
He stayed out all day and into the night.
They found him the next morn still digging
with all his might.
You could not remove him from his new toy.
He would play in the dirt like a very young boy.
As he dug out of sight
you could hear him yell with all his might.
I made this new toy
and I will use it with joy.
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

Mith

BSM, you got it, need to make sure I push the right lever the right way every time. I've got the damage to prove I havent reached that stage yet!
Brilliant rhyme there, you came up with it yourself? Gunna print that one out, excellent!
Cheers, and a Merry Christmas to you aswell :D

Milwaukee

I have idea why don't you make best ditch because we heard that every year your yard get flood then become muddy area that you need use another tractor to pull out rally or toro.

I wish but I don't know but how much cost for all to make? P.S. Please put in USA's price not Europe because some of us don't know price in Europe.

It worth to build for big tractor with 3 pt like this one?
attachment.php

If I did then I would need find 500 pounds for front end to hold that weight on rear end.

is that a cad plan that you drew up?your fabrication skills are top notch,what are you using to make your cuts?im trying to figure out how to mount my bucketand the piston set up,i thinking of doing pretty much identical to yours if i could get some idea on the throw and curl configuration id be ahead of the game,to bad the weather stinks in ri now rain cold snow,uck

Shinn, the hydraulics weren't too bad, I bought all new stuff, which takes out 90% of the headaches. The biggest problem is getting all the hoses made the right sizes and fitting them out of the way.

Braved the cold and went digging earlier. A few tweaks to do, and I need to sort some teeth for the bucket, beats a shovel though :D

16-12-07_1322.jpg

I thought moats were passe in Merry Olde England...:D

Mith

Milwaukee, I am thinking about draining the muddy areas, but that would take all the fun out of it!
Pricewise, I'm not sure what the cost would be in the USA, our hydraulics tend to be far more expensive. Not to mention steel etc.

Lou, thanks.
I used a bandsaw to cut the steel, one of the cheap ones you get for a couple hundred $$. Brilliant tool!
I drew plans on CAD for it yes, I drew a 3D model (see picture) to test all the ram placements. It saves alot of trial and error. I was finding the even moving a ram 1/4" would change the resulting movement alot.
All the rams are 12" stroke except from the swing which is 6". By far the hardest ram placement to get right is the swing ram, it really is a compromise between power and the swing angle.
As I'm sure you'll appreciate I'm reluctant to freely give out specific details and dimensions as I did invest an awful lot of time into making and testing the design.

Paul, gotta keep the immigrants out somehow :D

Attachments

• untitled3.JPG
    untitled3.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 108
great idea!!!ive been using my torch and grinder,cut it strong and finr tune with grinder,slow but its the best i have.i have a fairly old and good size scroll saw i wonder if that would work?im most impressed with your swing set up i dont think i could do that with torch and grinder.i hope you have enough power to sweep with the bucket for backfilling etc.i consulted with my nieghbor who is a mechanical engineer,his firm designs software for CAT,and some others,he took some measurements today and get back to me said he needed to dust off some reference books,i forgot he was an engineer,should of asked before oh well.i offered to move some compost and grade some loam around his house in trade and i get to play:brows: :brows:

quincy

Hi Mith, I havent posted on here much recently, been busy at work and such. I do pop by from time to time to catch up but not as much as I'd like. Maybe when the weather improves again. You asked how my Kubota was doin.... I know its a clichée but..... "I dont know how I managed before". I use it for everything. My ol ride on mower I used to use is sitting idle, months now. The kubota is such a useful tool to me.
I'm making a poormans front loader at the moment (a rear box) and hope to have it finished soon. I have a lot of material I want to move from the front of the house around to the back.
I made a sub soiler but I havent been able to use it as the soil is too wet, it just slices into the clay and hangs up my kubota if I go too deep (turf tyres).

N

Nicahawk

Milwaukee, I am thinking about draining the muddy areas, but that would take all the fun out of it!
Pricewise, I'm not sure what the cost would be in the USA, our hydraulics tend to be far more expensive. Not to mention steel etc.

Lou, thanks.
I used a bandsaw to cut the steel, one of the cheap ones you get for a couple hundred $$. Brilliant tool!
I drew plans on CAD for it yes, I drew a 3D model (see picture) to test all the ram placements. It saves alot of trial and error. I was finding the even moving a ram 1/4" would change the resulting movement alot.
All the rams are 12" stroke except from the swing which is 6". By far the hardest ram placement to get right is the swing ram, it really is a compromise between power and the swing angle.
As I'm sure you'll appreciate I'm reluctant to freely give out specific details and dimensions as I did invest an awful lot of time into making and testing the design.

Paul, gotta keep the immigrants out somehow :D

Mith, really professional work. :tiphat: Now that you've been thru it once and have a feel for the cost and time committment, you should start building these for others. I'm sure there is some $ to be made!
icon14.gif