Well...... I bought it!

quincy

I'm officially a Kubota owner now folks!

Very pleased with my purchase. Had a lovely relaxing ferry ride between Ireland & UK yesterday followed by a drive through Lancashire UK (lovely country side and quaint little villages). Even todays return trip was nice, calm seas, quiet roads.... very nice..
The owner of the kubota was a nice genuine guy and made the experience very enjoyable. I went through the machine from stem to stern, looking through everything (thanks to the owners manual I felt I already knew the machine).
I was delighted to find it was cosmetically in very good nick. Everything was there, some mild surface rust but nothing significant. I'll have to get a new seat cover as the one fitted is torn. Took it for a ride through the guys farmland, going through the gears, lo/high ratio good, 4wd working fine... no strange noises or vibrations... Went up a very steep incline about 35/40 deg slope in 4wd and it barely slowed. I recon theres loads of torque left in this girl.
It starts nice, a little smokey for the first 5-10 seconds on startup but after that no smoke at all or only if you give it gas it smokes a little but not much. The engine bay was in good clean condition. Dusty but not oily and manky. Oil was fine, black, no droplets of water, coolant was clear green, not contaminated, transmission fluid clear.
There were only two problems that i could find. The worst of which I think may be the hydraulic lift at the back. It does raise fine no problems but it is very lazy to drop. Unfortunately, I didnt know enough about the internals of the hydraulic system to know how bad this was but I am hoping it is economically fixable.
The other problem were the lights were not working but i'll be fine with sorting this.
All in all I am delighted. Boy this machine can move! in top gear it flies!! No power steering, but the steering seems light enough for this not to be a problem. It has turf tyres and they are almost new by the looks of it. Rear tyres are 29X12X15 and the front 20.5X8X10. Even just going for a potter around my garden this evening, the big fat rear turf tyres really soaked up the bumps I have at the back of my property. I always hated that area on my lawn tractor...
Apparently the hydraulic lift was not used on this tractor, the tractor was primarily used for towing a trash can collection trailer in a community park. There is a 3 point link assembly supplied with it but still in its oil paper wrappings, I'll have to figure how that lot goes together later.... There is a plate and tow hitch fitted just below the PTO which I plan to remove. For towing, I'd like to make up a tow hitch bracket that fits on the 3 point link.

Most of the decals on the kubota have faded. The writing on the labels is written in french and english but most is illegible (the warning stuff mainly).

My poor little "WHITE" LT is sitting there next to the kubota and it looks like a toy.

First thing I'd like to do is change all the fluids, engine oil, transmission, differentials, etc, kinda have a good base to start from...

So heres my first technical problem post (kinda), Hydraulic lift/Drop.... anybody got some ideas for me on this one? Is it a big deal to fix? (I negotiated a good discount on this problem).

thanks,

Quincy

Last edited:

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
CONGRATULATIONS!

Sounds like it is in pretty good shape.

Did you have any weight on the 3 pt arms when you lowered it? It might be ok.

I use a draw bar between the lower arms on my wife's new BX. Ir has a row of holes in it for a pin hitch. I've attached a picture. The red part is the draw bar. I think I gave @$30.00US for it. I also have the vertical bar and the 2" adaptor. That keeps the bar from rotating making it easy to pick up the tongue of a ball type hitch without getting off the tractor.

I think the 3 pt arrangement on our BX is probably similar to a B model. I'll take some pics of the back of it and post them for you.

Jim

EDIT: the pic is from the Northern Tool Catalog. My Kubota is Orange :)

Attachments

• draw bar.gif
    draw bar.gif
    24.5 KB · Views: 113

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
:pat: I should be sure my brain is fully in gear before posting. Just remembered. There should be a knob under the front of the seat. It controls the flow through the valve regulating the 3 pt lowering speed. Try turning that and see what happens.

Jim

quincy

Hi Jim,

There was no weight on the hydraulic arms when I moving the control lever. When I pushed the control lever in the arrow up direction, the two hydraulic arms raised powerfully, but when I moved the control lever in the arrow down direction, the hydraulic arms dropped very slowly, I could push on them and they lower faster alright but they dont appear to drop down under hydraulic control. As i mentioned, all the linkage stuff is in a box so there is no weight on the system.
If this is normal behaviour for a hydraulic system then COOL!!!

I like the look of your hitch set up Jim... better than what I had in mind. If you can post some more pics when you get the time, I'd appreciate it (if you dont mind me copying the design and fabricating one of my own).

also putting the 3 point stuff together, I have about 7-8 pieces in a box out in the workshop, I'll need to figure what bit goes where, a pic of your set up will really help me out, thanks.

quincy

Last edited:

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Quincy,
If you had no weight on the hydraulic lift and it hasn't been used much, it's most likely fine and will drop at a decent speed when you have something attached to it, just like Jim suggested.

quincy

Hi Jim, just read your second post, ok, I'll check that out tomorrow. I know theres a little plate under the seat with a plugged outlet and a small lever. It looks like a changeover valve where you would connect a hydraulic line to for running an implement? I did try to move that lever (as you do with new toys...lol) but it was jammed. might give it a shot of WD40 see if it budges...
thanks,

quincy

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It's too dark to go to the barn to take pics. I'll get them for you tomorrow.

Here's a page from the manual. Do the parts you have look anything like these?

Jim

Attachments

• bx_3_pt.jpg
    bx_3_pt.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 48

Mark777

Quincy,

You may be searching for a feature called 'Power Down' and I don't think that model has it. Many models with 25 PTO HP and under (diesel) use float and power up for the 3PH.

Am I guessing right about what you expect to happen when the draft is in the lower position?

Mark

quincy

Quincy,

You may be searching for a feature called 'Power Down' and I don't think that model has it. Many models with 25 PTO HP and under (diesel) use float and power up for the 3PH.

Am I guessing right about what you expect to happen when the draft is in the lower position?

Mark

So what you're saying is there is only "power up" with the hydraulic 3 point on the 7100...? So when I push the control lever to the "down" position, it is only the weight of the 3 point linkage (and implement if fitted) that causes the lot to drop...? there isnt a hydraulic push down on it... Well then.... thats GREAT!!! I dont have to fix anything major then.... (although I now feel a bit guilty for pushing for a discount... just a little bit...:wink: )

Sorry Mark, I dont understand what you mean by saying "when the draft is in the lower position". What is "draft"?

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That's right quincy, there is no "hydraulic push down".

And that is what I was trying to describe and not doing a very good job of it.

You use hydraulic pressure to raise the hitch and to lower it you bleed the pressure off

The adjustment I talked about controls the rate of bleed.

since it is a bleed off always leave whatever is on the rear on the ground when not in use. If you leave it in the air all you have to do is pull the lever and it drops maybe on someone.

Jim

quincy

Found it...

I love that owners manual!!!

liftadjust.jpg

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good job guys. I'm glad 'yall' were able to help quincy figure out that he didn't have a problem with the slow downward movement of the 3ph. I do believe all 3ph's have that same characteristic. You'll find that with a PHD (post hole digger) one thing often talked about is that they 'wish' they had hydraulic force to push it down, rather than just the weight of the PHD.

And you will notice it lower a whole lot quicker when you have an attachment on the tractor. I am rather surprised the original owner of the tractor didn't know this and explain it to you. No matter, congrats on your purchase and getting her home safely.

The ferry ride to the UK sounds like fun. How long of a trip is it for you to cross, and what was the total travel time from your house to where the tractor was. Just curious.

Mith

Congrats Quincy!

As has bee said, the 3ph will go down slowly with nothing on it. I had to stand on the 3PH arms to make them go down.

Dont forget the pics :D

quincy

I left my house on Saturday morning at 5am, driving, got to dublin at 8.30am. The boat sailed at 10am and didnt arrive in Liverpool until 5.45pm. So almost 8 hours on the boat. It was nice though, time to chill, read a book, watch the sea rolling by... Once I got to the UK, it was only 1 hr drive from Liverpool docks to my destination. I was lucky I had about 45 minutes of daylight left to give the kubota a good looking over before nightfall. It gets dark in the UK a lot earlier than back in Ireland so that caught me out a bit, wasn't expecting that. Total time was about 14 hours door to door and about the same return trip the next day.
All in all, a nice weekend with a good result.
All I need now is a few hours to go into the workshop with user manual in hand, and get myself familiar with the new toy. I haven't bought myself something in such a long time that its like being a kid again, it really is. I normally spent my cash on my house, kids, wife, etc..... something for me is unusual... nice.

I am rather surprised the original owner of the tractor didn't know this and explain it to you
Yeah, the more you guys explain this to me, the more surprised I am too. He did have a look at the hydraulics, as I was questioning it as maybe not working correctly, and he was looking for something which he did not explain to me. He just kept saying its probably fine, probably fine... At least I saved a few quid with a bit of haggling on this point which is all good for me!

I'll need to find myself an implement now to hang off the back of it!!!

Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What a trip. Sounds like fun really. Do you take the ferry to the UK often?

As for 3PH implements .....
Box Blades are cool. They take a bit of working with to learn to operate the correctly. I say that with a grain of salt as I've had mine 5 years now and at times I wonder about my skills with it. The good part is you can tear up more than you intended and go over it enough times and it's all leveled out. The top link is the key. Shortening it for smoothing and lengthening it for tearing.

A box blade is much more useful than a blade to me.
Of course the draw bar like Jim showed is also extra handy. You'll need one of those for sure.

quincy

What a trip. Sounds like fun really. Do you take the ferry to the UK often?
Actually no, I havent been on a ferry in a long time. Last time was when I was going to France on a camping trip about 6 years ago.
I usually fly if I'm going to the UK. The cheap airlines over here are as good as what you guys have over there, "Ryanair" being the one of the most successful carriers. I can get to most destinations in the UK for €50-70 euro. It costs more to park my car in the airport carpark than it does to fly... go figure...
The draw bar, yeah, cooincidentally, I'm just back from my local farming supply store and got the bits I need to make one up. a 50mm hitch ball, 2 7/8 pins and a 3/4 pin for the top link. Should be able to knock up something with some 2inch box iron I have at home.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
here's the 3 point hitch on the BX. The top link is not installed.

Jim

Attachments

• MVC-001F.jpg
    MVC-001F.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 31
  • MVC-002F.jpg
    MVC-002F.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 31
  • MVC-003F.jpg
    MVC-003F.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 30
  • MVC-004F.jpg
    MVC-004F.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 31

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
here's the 3 point arms on the L3400. little different design as the bx. Maybe one of these is close to your B6100.

Jim

Attachments

• MVC-006F.jpg
    MVC-006F.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 31
  • MVC-007F.jpg
    MVC-007F.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 28
  • MVC-008F.jpg
    MVC-008F.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 28
  • MVC-009F.jpg
    MVC-009F.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 28

Mith

Quincy, this the the back of my old B6000, it should be similar to the setup on your tractor. (sorry about the clutter)

Attachments

• Back 2.jpg
    Back 2.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 30