Tillage - tiller vs plough and harrow

Mith

Wondering what you all thought about tilling versus ploughing and harrowing.

Ploughing and harrowing seems to still be the method of choice for the large areas, I guess because its faster. But I wonder whether it gives as good seed bed as tilling does.

I would imagine that tilling is the only way to go with a small garden, as by the time you dug a plough to depth it'd be time to lift it out again......

Anyone doing it the good old fashioned way, ploughing and harrowing? or anyone doing anything different? Thoughts about which is best?

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I think tilling is better but I have to be careful because my place was a rock farm in its former life. :biggrin:

For grass, I use a disk harrow, a rock rake, and a drag harrow, in that order. Sometimes I have to replow with the disk harrow at a 90 degree angle to the first pass.

I use the tiller around the house for the flower beds and inside the house fence.

Jim

PBinWA

I think it depends on what you are planning on growing. Tilling will cause the soil to compact more. I know the lawn areas I tilled and levelled 2 years ago are very firm (probably too firm) so I do my best to aerate them frequently.

The word from more knowledgable people than I is that for crops you will get better results turning the soil with a plow. There is alos a greater chance of getting "plow pan" from using a tiller too much.

That being said. A tiller is much quicker and easier.

Of course, I don't know much and am not an expert and do not claim to be one.