Roming "Pets"...killin' others animals

MBDiagMan

E-5, US Army 1968 to 1971
Site Supporter
My wife and I are serious animal lovers. That said, if a dog, even my OWN, gets to the point as described by the OP I will take him out. It's a tough thing to do, but when it's necessary it MUST be done IMHO.

If PETA reads this thread I guess they'll come after us all, but that's just the way it is and in the big picture, it's probably best for all concerned, animal OR human.

Goat

I have a policy of:

If I see the dog, and know who owns it (and it is not bothering any of my animals), I call the person and tell them that this time they get a "bye". Next time the get a bullet.

If I DO NOT know the owner, I attempt to call said dog. If it comes, I try to find the owner, then (see above).

If said dog WILL NOT come, then it is fair game.

I have the "Dead Dog Walking" policy with any dog I don't know, or one who won't let me find out. Feral cats end up the same way.

I have an LGD (Great Pyr). She had bonded with the goats and cows (even the cats) - and WITH US. She is a PET but NOTHING comes into the pens without her attacking it, except when it is with us, or our two house dogs that travel with us to the barn yard occasionally. Unfamiliar dogs get munched.

As for Llamas - yes they usually do not like dogs, but the tend to be lazy and fight the goats for food.

Donkeys - well we THOUGHT about a donkey until we learned that people use Great Pyrs to protect herds of donkeys. They are good at controlling thistles, though. My wife's dad has a donkey, it runs and hides when it see's a duck.

BTW - that video of the donkey "attacking" the Mountain Lion? It's been proven - and admitted - that the cat was dead before it all started and the whole thing was staged.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
We have a coyote problem for sure. The state guys released a pair a few years ago just up the road and NOW there are 2 packs competing for food. Deer have diminished in number it seems and it is a rare day when one sees a cottontail on the edge of the road.

We keep Anatolian/Pyr mix in our registerd breeding stock Boer pastures....In 10 or so years we have never lost a critter......Each year though we hear more and more coyotes around us at night......A good guess would be 15 or so of them in the 2 packs that communicate.....We insist upon the MIX.....2 per pasture.....One can really get ganged up on by pits and loose where 2 of them can take on anything........We like the mix as the Anatolian has shorter fur and therefore less maintenance problems, is a bit more fierce than the pyrs and is LOTS more obedient.......Also they are more active.......Just as big if not bigger.......

We tried a donkey years ago; but they eat to much, tear up a pasture, and if a BC happens to get in to work the livestock or just follows you into the pasture the donkey will get it down and tear it up.............

Our momma dog retired herself from guarding the livestock a month or so ago and has decided that she needs to live up here at the house and be a porch/yard dog with the BCs..........They are quite the pack now and in fact have become a problem that I talk about in a NEW thread..........SHE WOULD NOT stay down at the pasture or in the barn.........That is another thing about them....they are stubborn for what they want........Anyway, she would go over a 4 ft fence with electric at the top or over a barn fence gate that was electrified to get out and come up to the house.......That is all she wanted was to get to the house and porch........NOT run loose and wander......

Anyway, we needed another yard dog at night...........God bless.......Dennis

Philt

I think that every farmer has encountered this problem or will at some point. We have a saying ( a stray dog in the pasture is a dead dog) .243 will do a number on any dog usually the damaging dogs run in pairs though.

jwstewar

Staff member
I'm on the other side of this spectrum - to an extent. My daughter (my daughter is 14 and pretty responsible) had let our older black lab out last Monday night. They were playing and having fun. She had been running and got hot and thirsty. She went in the house to get something to drink. While she was in there she got distracted by something or someone and didn't come back outside right away. In the mean time, I was on the tractor working at filling in a trench I had dug for an electric line. When all of a sudden I see someone out of the corner of my eye. It is my neighbor. She said your dog killed my chickens. I immediately apologize to her. Holler at Oreo, scold her and told her to go to her cage. I then again apologize to the neighbor. I say that I want to make it right. I will either give them cash or order new chickens in for them. I ask how many chickens did she have? She said 12 and they can only find 1. I say OK, just let me know. He then (we get along pretty well) comes up later with a hatchet (because Oreo brought a rooster back with her that wasn't completely dead). I said that we had already shot it and buried it. I asked again - do you want chickens or cash? He said chickens. I said, OK, I will order 15 hens, what kind do you want? He said that is too many. I said, I want to do right, I feel really bad this happened. So Tuesday, Wed, and Thursday go by. No word. Friday I'm mowing the grass and I see him out. So I drive the tractor back to talk to him. I asked him if they knew what kind they wanted yet. No, we don't know if we want to do chicks right now..blah, blah...I then look over and they still have 7 chickens 5 hens and 2 roosters. Oreo had kill 4 hens and a rooster. He says we may just have you pay half the food bill, again, I say, OK, whatever you want, just let me know an amount. We then continued to chit-chat for awhile, he isn't mad (she is a bit more of a b.... and probably is though) and just says he should have had the run done because the dog was just being a dog and if she hadn't got them, something else would have...any way...I just want an amount that I owe them so that I can get this off my chest. I feel bad about it and want to make it right. I know either cash or chicks either way, isn't going to be quite right as they were close to getting eggs from them. They had gotten them the first week of March, so within a couple months of getting eggs. I know we were wrong, but I don't think they are doing me right either in changing what they want and then not telling me amount so that I can make restitution.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had a similar incident with my dog and chickens. Some friends were "babysitting" my dog on their farm. Dog got loose and killed all their chickens. They didn't tell me about it until a few months later. I wanted to make it right but they said I already did in a way. They were sick of the chickens so my dog pushed them into the direction they wanted.

Scooter

I'm of the opinion that a pack of dogs is much more of a problem than coyotes. I've witnessed several times dogs trying to take down calves. I spend about 75 days per year bow hunting and have for close to 25 years. That is when I have witnessed dogs after calves. In that same time I've never seen a coyote even approach cattle but have seen them change directions to avoid contact with a heard of cattle. Coyotes much prefer mice, rats, rabbits and believe it or not " grasshoppers". I've taken out to dogs this year chasing deer. If they will chase deer I assure you they will chase calves. After a dog kills a calf or deer they leave the carcass and start looking for the next chase. At least a yote will eat its catch. Packed dogs are just blood thirsty. I have and love dogs but as a reasonable pet owner mine do not run loose. Chaps my rear that so many city folks decide they no longer want Fido so they dump him off a few miles out of town. When a few fidos pack up you got trouble. You did the right thing taking out your problem.