Oil field pipe value ?

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
I hope this is Ok to post here . I have some old used oil field pipe like for fencing & I,m trying to find out what its worth . Its 2 & 3/8 inch OD , Has the larger connector one one end & has some type of white plastic liner on the inside .

I have 50 31 ( 1550 ) foot lengths & wanting to get rid of it but dont know what a fair price would be . I,ve seen it from 50 cents to 3 bucks a foot . Quite a bit of a difference , so know clue what to price it at. Thanks in advance for any advice. Bob

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have no clue on that type of pipe, so I searched the web. Came up with some dealers but hard to tell if it is the same as yours. Maybe call around your area and see if you can find someone who sells it or who works with it. I figure they could give you a good idea on value. Craigs list or ebay might be the perfect place to sell the pipe.
Good luck!

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Doc . I,ve seen lots of want ads on CL latelly wanting the same type of stuff is the main reason I was wanting to find out . But typicall CL ads , wanting free or cheap . The locals I,ve contacted said if it had the plastic lining in it Its not worth anything , I find that hard to beleive , So I thought I,d ask here . Bob

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I would have thought it worth more ....but what do I know. Plastic lining sounds like a good thing. Hopefully someone will mosey along that knows a little about that kind of pipe. I thought we had a member who worked the oil rigs but dang if I can remember their handle. I'll PM them if it comes to me.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
It might be hard to use it for fencing if it's lined. The welding process might get ugly. Lots of heat on the plastic liner. Just a thought that popped in my head.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Most, if not all, newly manufactured pipe comes plastic lined (customers choice) so I would guess that the pipe you have is "new or near new". The plastic lining is helpful in reducing circulating friction pressure losses inside the pipe as the drilling mud is pumped down the pipe and out through the nozzles in the bit. The solids in the drilling mud (barite, bentonite and especially drill solids and sand) gradually wear the plastic lining off the the pipe as it is used.

I don't know what the current value for drillpipe is but usually when you see it being very cheap it means that it was used in a well with hydrogen sulphide gas or in some other corrosive environment, and it basically junk for any purpose at all.

The plastic lining is usually teflon or teflon based so I'm not sure that welding would affect it all that much but I've never heard of anyone welding on newish pipe so I don't know for sure. When you narrow down the price range for this pipe, I'd look to start towards the higher end because presumably it's in pretty good shape.

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the info Frank , Much apreciated . I was also wondering about how much the lining would effect the welding TC . I,ll do some more research locally . Thanks for the input , Bob

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
I thought I,d update this thread as to what I found out about the value . Seems around here its worth a buck a foot Minimum . I Priced it at 40 bucks per 31 foot stick & I,m hopin it will all be gone by this weekend as I have several people wanting it .

Theres no Problem cutting or welding it with the thin plastic lining & it also makes great firewood racks I found out . Its also Financing My latest toy if it goes through I posted in the other thread . Win Win :wink: . Thanks for the Replys . Bob

ghautz

The plastic lining is usually teflon or teflon based so I'm not sure that welding would affect it all that much but I've never heard of anyone welding on newish pipe so I don't know for sure. When you narrow down the price range for this pipe, I'd look to start towards the higher end because presumably it's in pretty good shape.

I recall something about a toxic gas released when teflon is heated to high temps. I would look into that before welding it.

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
I recall something about a toxic gas released when teflon is heated to high temps. I would look into that before welding it.

Yep good to Know ghautz Thanks . I,m not really sure how long that kind of stuff has been around . But this is far from new pipe its been Sitting for 30 some years at least that I know of & still in Perty good shape as far as I can tell Heres a few pics of after I drug it up here & one of a firewood rack that is made from the same stuff . :tiphat: Thanks Bob

Attachments

• PB030009.JPG
    PB030009.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 94
  • PB030008.JPG
    PB030008.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 93

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
If the pipe is that old it sold for less than a $1 a foot. Today that pipe new is about $7 a foot. Take it from there ............

I would recommend recycling instead of selling as fence.

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
If the pipe is that old it sold for less than a $1 a foot. Today that pipe new is about $7 a foot. Take it from there ............

I would recommend recycling instead of selling as fence.

Thanks Big Dog , I still have it . Seems as soon as I posted it for sale Everybody & their brother has the stuff Laying around & keep underpricing Me . Everybody wants it but Noones showed up Yet .

I,m not sure what You mean about Recycling it though . Its been sitting around for a long time so I,m not sure it could still be used for its intended Purpose . Thanks , Bob

Erik

I think BD means chop it into smaller pieces and sell for scrap.
if you have a welder handy, I'd make up some more of those wood racks and offer them on craig's list.
you could also weld up a pretty decent park bench and give it a coat of rust converter and sell those.

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
I think BD means chop it into smaller pieces and sell for scrap.
if you have a welder handy, I'd make up some more of those wood racks and offer them on craig's list.
you could also weld up a pretty decent park bench and give it a coat of rust converter and sell those.

Ah , Gotcha Eric . Steel Prices are so low now it Wouldn,t be worth the cost of cutting it up IMO . But I might go the firewood rack deal . Thanks , Bob

ghautz

I did a bit of research. I was told about the dangers of overheating teflon back in the dark ages, when I was in the Navy (early '60's), so the memory was fuzzy. Apparently the heat of a lamp can release enough gas to kill birds under certain conditions. Teflon (PTFE) is apparently safe for cooking temperatures up to about 260 deg F. Widipedia led me to this link:

http://www.fluoridealert.org/pesticides/teflon.decomposition.prod.htm

A quote from that link:

Overheating of PTFE generates fumes of highly toxic PFIB and poses a serious health hazard to the human respiratory tract. PFIB is approximately ten times as toxic as phosgene [2]. Inhalation of this gas can cause pulmonary edema, which can lead to death.

That link did not define "overheating." I guess if I were to weld pipe containing teflon, I would be very careful about ventilation.

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
I did a bit of research. I was told about the dangers of overheating teflon back in the dark ages, when I was in the Navy (early '60's), so the memory was fuzzy. Apparently the heat of a lamp can release enough gas to kill birds under certain conditions. Teflon (PTFE) is apparently safe for cooking temperatures up to about 260 deg F. Widipedia led me to this link:

http://www.fluoridealert.org/pesticides/teflon.decomposition.prod.htm

A quote from that link:

Overheating of PTFE generates fumes of highly toxic PFIB and poses a serious health hazard to the human respiratory tract. PFIB is approximately ten times as toxic as phosgene [2]. Inhalation of this gas can cause pulmonary edema, which can lead to death.

That link did not define "overheating." I guess if I were to weld pipe containing teflon, I would be very careful about ventilation.

Thanks for the warning ghautz , I Haven,t tryed welding any as of yet but plan to use a good resperator when I do , Sorry I,m so late replying . :tiphat:

Cowboy

Gold Site Supporter
cowboy - if you still have any of this left, there's someone in your neck of the woods looking for sucker pipe to build a fence.
off craigslist on 3/24 but in wichita
http://topeka.craigslist.org/grd/1659974092.html

Thanks Erik , Yes I did see that & replyed shortlly after He posted & like ussuall with most people wanting never got a reply . Seems everyones expecting free these days .

Unless I sell it soon I,ll probbly just cut it up & make it into firewood racks Like you said . That is if dont blown away by then :yum: . there was a fellow in Hutch this winter was sellin the same racks for 300 bucks each , I cant imagine him getting that out of them though . Thanks again & take care . Bob :tiphat:

Erik

Good luck - and I completely understand about the wind. It's pretty breezy up here today as well.