My CK20S is a Work Multiplier Cutting Wood (Skidder)

Rider7767

Site Supporter
I have been using my CK20S to drag logs to level ground. After I get it on level ground, I use the rear lift to hold the log up. It is much easier to cut at waist level. So far so good.:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Rider7767

Site Supporter
Some things I still do by hand. I have a log splitter, but for smaller stuff, it is just easier to do it by hand. Especially, when you take into count getting it out and moving the wood around. I may at some time get a 3 Point Hitch splitter.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great pics!

A couple thoughts.
If you have a heavy log or want to keep a log from moving around much off the boom, consider moving the chain and logging tongs inward. I attach mine where the main boom meets the 2 upright booms (where you have the chain wrapped around). This will give you better lift capabilities and will keep it more stable as your log will then slide in the V.

If you have a log splitter, I'd personally stick with it. My reasoning is that when I'm doing firewood, the tractor is in play doing other things (like bringing the logs to the shed). Also, I'd rather put all the hours splitting on a 6HP Briggs as opposed to my tractor with the hour meter running. A 50-hour maintenance on a 6HP Briggs is a quart of oil. Quite a bit more for the tractor.

Rider7767

Site Supporter
One thing to mention, You got to watch the toes. After cutting, a piece of wood fell and almost hit my toes. I was not paying attention to my foot placement :pat:.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Get ya some Steel toed boots.. I finally had to get a pair because the cows kept backing up on my toes when I was behind them in the squeeze chute. I have the insulated rubber, steel toed boots- hard to find in small sizes but real handy. Warm and protective.. It helps eliminate the dreaded toe mashing when it''s painfully cold out. bordercollie

Rider7767

Site Supporter
Great pics!

A couple thoughts.
If you have a heavy log or want to keep a log from moving around much off the boom, consider moving the chain and logging tongs inward. I attach mine where the main boom meets the 2 upright booms (where you have the chain wrapped around). This will give you better lift capabilities and will keep it more stable as your log will then slide in the V.

If you have a log splitter, I'd personally stick with it. My reasoning is that when I'm doing firewood, the tractor is in play doing other things (like bringing the logs to the shed). Also, I'd rather put all the hours splitting on a 6HP Briggs as opposed to my tractor with the hour meter running. A 50-hour maintenance on a 6HP Briggs is a quart of oil. Quite a bit more for the tractor.

Great minds think alike. I was talking with my friend today about welding hooks on over the A frame. I lifted the logs today with out problems, but I would run into trouble with larger logs.

Your point of view on the log splitter makes a lot of sense. I think I will stick with what I have. Thank you.:agree:

Rider7767

Site Supporter
Get ya some Steel toed boots.. I finally had to get a pair because the cows kept backing up on my toes when I was behind them in the squeeze chute. I have the insulated rubber, steel toed boots- hard to find in small sizes but real handy. Warm and protective.. It helps eliminate the dreaded toe mashing when it''s painfully cold out. bordercollie

I was wear steel toe boots. Still, those logs falling got a pretty good bounce.
You reminded me of a time when I was about 8, and we were bottle feeding calves. One stepped back onto my foot. Ouch! my foot was black and blue for weeks. I have not thought about that in years.:thankyou2: The black and blue foot hurt, but those where good times. It is just hard to find sin in hard work.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Good memories.... oh yes. ;) You are right the steel toes do nothing for your upper foot .. mash that - I also have.... and you can "about pass out".. I remember seeing metal foot and leg protectors when my Dad was a logger.
I have once and never again ,pulled stuff "up high" with the bottom end dragging, If it gets hung, and then lets go, it can come in on ya, like a sling shot.That is one reason we put an expanded metal headache rack on the old JD4020. It looks a lot like the RTV's but much heavier. and I am sure you know this already but thought I better mention it is.. having a log etc come out the top back of the bucket when it is up in the air and roll across the hood and into you lap, and keep on going.. An experienced farmer had that happen not long ago.. a freak killer accident ...
I forgot to add that is a great looking pup in that recent picture. bordercollie

Rider7767

Site Supporter
Good memories.... oh yes. ;) You are right the steel toes do nothing for your upper foot .. mash that - I also have.... and you can "about pass out".. I remember seeing metal foot and leg protectors when my Dad was a logger.
I have once and never again ,pulled stuff "up high" with the bottom end dragging, If it gets hung, and then lets go, it can come in on ya, like a sling shot.That is one reason we put an expanded metal headache rack on the old JD4020. It looks a lot like the RTV's but much heavier. and I am sure you know this already but thought I better mention it is.. having a log etc come out the top back of the bucket when it is up in the air and roll across the hood and into you lap, and keep on going.. An experienced farmer had that happen not long ago.. a freak killer accident ...
I forgot to add that is a great looking pup in that recent picture. bordercollie

Bordercollie,
I did pull the tree low, but it was out of instinct. I left the farm in 1986 and joined the Military. I was a Maintenance Warrant Officer and I dealt with heavy maintenance in both track and wheeled vehicles. Having said that, I have not worked around a farm or logging in over 28 years. I pulled trees yesterday low, but I may have pulled one high tomorrow, had you not said something. I have lead Soldiers for the last 27 years, and to be a good leader, you have to know how to follow first. You keep those nuggets of knowledge coming! I want to live a little longer. :tiphat:

Rider7767

Site Supporter
Great pics!

A couple thoughts.

I moved the logging tongs toward the A frame. Much more stable.

RedAnt

If not for rain the last two days I would have been able to add my own first experience cutting down trees since owning my dk40se. I have been collecting chain for a few weeks, and have a decent collection. I went by my dad's house and picked up a dolmar chainsaw that he wanted me to have after his stroke.

I had selected some medium sized trees near my power lines that I want gone. I have a plan of attack.

I think my next tractor time will be road maintenance on my driveway hill. The rest of the road and driveway faired well, but the hill has some erosion.

Oddleast I have been opening up the old logging roads on the property. I was even able to utilize the chain to pull a boalder from the brook crossing ramp. Always plenty to do.

Rider7767

Site Supporter
If not for rain the last two days I would have been able to add my own first experience cutting down trees since owning my dk40se. I have been collecting chain for a few weeks, and have a decent collection. I went by my dad's house and picked up a dolmar chainsaw that he wanted me to have after his stroke.

I had selected some medium sized trees near my power lines that I want gone. I have a plan of attack.

I think my next tractor time will be road maintenance on my driveway hill. The rest of the road and driveway faired well, but the hill has some erosion.

Oddleast I have been opening up the old logging roads on the property. I was even able to utilize the chain to pull a boalder from the brook crossing ramp. Always plenty to do.

RedAnt,
You are right about that. Alway work to be done. I split wood all day with my neighbor today.
Many hands make lite work. I used the tractor to move logs and the splitter. I am loving this tractor. You should be able to pull some big logs. Have fun and be safe.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Y'all be careful pulling loads on hills. If a tree or boulder should slide off the trail and start rolling down hill when connected to the tractor, it can pull the tractor down the hill as well.

As it relates to chains, I'm getting older and find them getting pretty heavy to use, especially when I have to haul (hand carry or drag) up hills. I've switched to 2" nylon straps for most lengths. 100' of strap weighs about the same s 6' of 3/8" chain.

RedAnt

Thanks for pointing out the danger of attaching to heavy objects on hills.

I bought a strap too, but haven't used it yet. It sure seemed like a good alternative to chains. I've also heard that the elastic stretching of the nylon can help a little when extracting stubborn trees.

So far most of my chain has been 5/16", as the 3/8" is heavy and I don't expect to hit the 4000lb weight limits on the 5/16. The other day I was shocked to see the Lowes logging chain in 3/8" had a lower working load than the 5/16 towing chain next to it. Sure makes you wonder where the weak link is?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The other day I was shocked to see the Lowes logging chain in 3/8" had a lower working load than the 5/16 towing chain next to it. Sure makes you wonder where the weak link is?
Made in China...

Rider7767

Site Supporter
My wife caught this picture. I thought it was cool.
20130831_114503.jpg

Mother's idea of getting the wood in. She is just using the tongs on this one. Just tossed the ring over the ball of the easy lift reciever. That 10,000 electric is handy.

Attachments

• paul,home,alaska 183.jpg
    paul,home,alaska 183.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 51

Rider7767

Site Supporter
Mother's idea of getting the wood in. She is just using the tongs on this one. Just tossed the ring over the ball of the easy lift reciever. That 10,000 electric is handy.

That is a big log. My hills are to steep for me to pull a log that big. I love the winch. Nice set up.