5500 dodge build

I just picked up a cab and chassis. It is a new 08 and was marked down considerably.
Just finished putting a 12ftx8ft bed with a 14t hoist. It came with the electric hoist so I used that. If I have one ounce of trouble being that the truck is ready for the pto unit I will opt to change it out.
It was a 4 day build from bringing the raw steel in to paint. Had a friend cutting stake pockets and cross members for me so it went really well. Those little pieces take the time away from welding.
Will try to put up a pic or two.

Last edited:

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
WOW, very nice! I have a 07' 3500 dump the same color, has all of 3800 mile on it ....... :respect:

Attachments

• IMG_0256.jpg
    IMG_0256.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 153
Nice setup Reddog. I used to have a 77 ford with a box like that, sure miss it. Sold it for more than I paid for it after 5 yrs use. Was like a big boys tonka toy.

Of course it is in no league with these dodges. The more I sit in the seat the more I like this rig. Found the paperwork on it in the glovebox. Didn't realize it is set up for the pto upgrade and the trailerbrake wiring. Was a nice find. Too bad the dealership didn't take the time to go through it with me.

I do have an engine light on. Will take care of that tomorrow. 600mi shouldn't need anything.

Where do I start.

First I took it in and they said no problem. We will flash it with the computer. They flashed it and it would hardly crawl out of the parking lot. I limped back to the garage and as it turned out, two techs were doing the same thing at once. As the receivers are not hard wired the signals got crossed up. The other truck wouldn't even start.

They reflashed and said we will need ti for a day. The turbo is shot?????? 600mi and turbo it out?

Well, got a call for work and lit out for Ak. Truck handles great, comfortable and rides fairly well. Everything looking great until I hit Canada at a buck nineteen a litre. Wow hundred eighty a tankfull lol. Wouldn't even mind that but at 12-13 mpg really hits the wallet. I was told to expect 14 fully loaded and pulling everything I could hook onto it. When I left the dealership at first it was 14 and was told it will get better as it breaks in.

I looked into one of those computer programs for it. Wow are they proud of those. A few fellows I talked to said they work great and will up the mileage and get more power out of the engine.

Wonder what that will do to the warrantee. Oh well, it will be parked most of the summer anyway.

I left Washington at 6pm on friday and drove into Anchorage at 1am on Monday morn. Did the speed limit and less the whole way. The roads are a mess up in the Yukon. I know that truck has 50,000 miles on the frame now, 3200 on the speedo.

PBinWA

Nice rig rd! I always fill up before heading across the border but if you are doing a lot of driving you eventually have to pay those extra gas taxes. :(

shvl73

Nice find! I'm suprised they couldn't move it with the 2010's having a price increase for emissions. I've driven one and they will do 75mph and hold it uphill, loaded to 18,500lbs. That Cummins is sweet.
What was the story w/ the turbo, did they say?

They figured it was just a bad unit from the factory.

I am in Ak now. Left at 6pm on Fri and pulled into Anchorage at 1 am Monday morn.

The roads were not bad, hit some snow coming down the mountains at night on the south end of Watson lake.
The roads did detereoate sp? after whitehorse to the ak border. Fuel was a buck nineteen in canada per litre.
They told me when I bought the truck it would get 14mpg loaded and pulling a trailer. I was on cruise most of the time at 60 getting 12-13.5 with just a quad and a small motorcycle, took it to the dealer up here to see if maybe when they set it up after the turbo fix it might need a retune. I was told that was about right for that rig. Bummer in a big way. Salesmen, how do they sleep at night.
Was told by some locals that they have done some tuning of their own with aftermarket units. Have any of you tried this? And what are the honest results. I went to shucks to see about them. They are not cheap and I figured I would try to get some input from folks before shelling out for one.

Thanks fellows.

I am going to Valdez for the summer so won't be on much. The rig will be parked close to work and I will use the bike for running around. At 65mpg with it, that truck will stay parked.