Demolition breaker hammer/ jack hammer

aarkie

I keep hitting rocks trying to put in fence post. I got tired of trying break them be hand. After finding out how much it cost to rent a jack hammer with a air compressor by the day, I started looking for a electric jack hammer. I got the Stark 2200 watt demolition hammer, it looks like the same unit with many different names, from E-bay. It has a parts breakdown in the back of the manual, all 10 pages, that said it was a model HM 1306. I tried a search on the internet for HM 1306 and found that Makita makes a unit with the same number and with very little difference looks the same. I also found a parts list for it and checked several parts and they all matched be the item number and the part number. At under $200 it cost less than 1/4 of what a Makita does. I am not saying they are the same inside but it looks to me like they could be the same. Take a generator with you and it is a lot easier breaking thru the rocks. After using it a few times I'm happy with it for the cost. Do your research before buying it could save you a few hundred dollars.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Timely post. I have some busted out concrete that I'm planing to use on a trail / road repair project. Some of it will need busted up and something like that jack hammer would sure save a lot of pain in my back. Thanks for the pointer. :tiphat:

aarkie

Doc, I found on you tube some video's of these units. Just search for electric jack hammer. It may not be as fast as the big units but it cost less and it belongs to you.

I have also used it to put t-post in rocks. The bit will get hard to pull out after you are down a few inches so you have to clean the hole often. What I found is that you can use a wet/dry vacuum with a small hose to clean the hold. Just chip down a couple of inches, vacuum the hole out, and chip some more. If you keep the hole small for the post you cannot clean it out by hand. After you install the post use a hammer, the back end of a t-post driver works good, and pack the dirt back around the post. The post should be solid.

I just wish I had a longer chisel for the post holes to make it easier on your back. Doc, don't work too hard busting the concrete.

aarkie

Something else I found you can use it for is break the bead on a tire. I had a lawn mower tire I was trying to get off the rim, it had been seated for years, but the sidewall was too soft to break the bead on one side. After trying a lot of different things I decided to give it a try. I used the chisel bite a few seconds at a time close to the rim and moved around the tire. I about a minute it was broke loose. I will be replacing the tire but it was not damaged any from the hammer. It should work on a bigger tire but might take longer.