2008 1100 rtv front drive shaft removal

I tried to use search for this information but I guess I don't have enough skill to do it. I have a torn boot on front of the front 4 wheel drive shaft. wanted to get some info for removal before starting, it is the one piece shaft. also I have not bought a shop manual for this machine, would this be a wise investment?

thanks in advance

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
a good shop manual is a good investment in my opinion. are you talking about the front propeller shaft that drives the front diff from the transmission? if so it is a spring loaded affair on both ends where you push the shaft further onto the spline output shaft while slipping up and off of the input shaft. or visa versa.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi ,I had a 900 that I changed the boots on. I posted it here on our great forum. I'll do a search for it and see if I can find it. I don't know if its the same as your larger model but may give some ideas. Be sure to read the whole thing because at the very end there are some good pointers such as jacking the machine high enough to just let the A arm swing down instead of removing it. :) collie

edit: http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14060&highlight=front+boots
some folks were able to get quality seeming complete aftermarket assemblies for not much more than oem parts. .. see Banjo's post there.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
yes it is spring loaded on both ends. my understanding is that the clearances are pretty tight. from reading it sounds like plenty of penetrate oil and working it back and forth helps. do a quick search on this site for "front propeller shaft"

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I misread the post. I see now that its the 4wd shaft. I have read that it is spring loaded as well. The one piece on my 2011 900 was. Will also mention , and don't know if it is the same on yours, but under the floor mat on my 2011 900 was a triangular floor panel that unbolts and gives more access to the shaft. bordercollie