Calcium chloride loaded tires BX2230

1kubota

Hi Group,
Thought I would give you all a heads up on a problem I had with calcium chloride loaded tires. I put tubes in so not to rust my wheels away. Well turns out I was getting some seepage at the valve stem area on one tire. I removed the wheel and tire, looked it over. Something told me to roll this baby outside before I removed the valve cap. Good thing I did. Removed the cap, liquid everywhere and pieces of the valve core. The mixture also ate away the threaded part inside the valve stem. I removed the other wheel, samething. I ended up breaking down one side of the tire, pulling the tubes out, rinsed the inside of the tire and rim really. I installed a tubeless stem in each tire. Went to wally world bought 20 plus of their 1.00 windshield washer fluid. I put 10 gallon in each tire, could have got 11 in but thought I should leave a little room for expansion. I did'nt air the tire until I got the fluid in. Just pushed down the side I had broke down, poured it in. The tire came up tight enough to the rim, I had NO problem airing it up. Only put 6 lbs. in each.

Larry

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds good.

Good riddance to calcium in the tires. I recently replaced the rims on my tractor after it ate around the valve stem. I went with Rim-Guard since I'm in a relatively cold climate.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's a liquid ballast that's preferred by most. See below.

I see you added your location as N IN. Did you get the winter version of WW fluid? You'll want to watch out for freezing.

http://www.rimguard.biz/

From their site:
. Rim Guard™ is nearly 30% heavier than water.
. Rim Guard™ is non-corrosive.
. Rim Guard™ is non-toxic and biodegradable.
. Rim Guard™ is freeze-resistant down to -35°F.
. Rim Guard™ is cost effective because inner tubes are not needed and tires are easier to repair.

1kubota

The jug said winter mixture/version -25º Don't plan on being out with the tractor when it's that cold. Getting tooo old to enjoy the wind and snow. Thanks for the info

Larry
Northern,In 12 miles south of the bottom of Lake Michigan

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't mind the cold (but do find I need to work a little harder at staying warm as I get older). Having the proper attire is absolutely key. Although it's rare to get temps below -10 or -20, I can still go out in those temps and be perfectly comfortable. I have one parka that I don't use unless it goes below zero as it's too warm for anything higher then that.

tk1469

What is RimGuard made of ? Anyone know? Someone told me it was made from "beet juice". Any idea how the cost of RimGuard compares to WW fluid or regular Calcium Chloride ?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Rim guard is made from a byproduct of processing sugar beets. There may be some other things added (but I'm sure it's proprietary/patented) but whatever it is it's harmless and can actually be fed to livestock.

I don't recall pricing.
I'll never use Calcium Chloride again. Whatever cost savings you may get up-front will be negated should it leak out and you have a mess or after it eats your rims and you're out buying new ones.

WW fluid is common so long as it has ample freeze protection.

tk1469

Thanks. I'm DEFINITELY going to stay away from CC for loading. I agree that paying a little more now will avoid having to purchase new RIMS down the road.

1kubota

As bczoom said Rim guard is beet juice, supposed to be the best tire loader out there. Weighs more per gallon than water. I read somewhere it runs about $5.00 a gallon, that's why I used .99 washer fluid. The way I filled my tires was to remove from tractor, lay flat on ground, remove air, break down one side from rim, pour liquid in tire, then air it back up. Leave expansion room in the tire. My BX-2230 has 12" rims, tires are 12" wide, 26" high over all 12x12x26 I put 10 gallons of washer fluid in each.
Larry

It's a liquid ballast that's preferred by most. See below.

I see you added your location as N IN. Did you get the winter version of WW fluid? You'll want to watch out for freezing.

http://www.rimguard.biz/

From their site:
. Rim Guard™ is nearly 30% heavier than water.
. Rim Guard™ is non-corrosive.
. Rim Guard™ is non-toxic and biodegradable.
. Rim Guard™ is freeze-resistant down to -35°F.
. Rim Guard™ is cost effective because inner tubes are not needed and tires are easier to repair.

I have rim guard in the rear tires of my L3540 ... The product is basically Beet Juice (Keeps it from Freezing), Molasses, and Water which makes it non toxic and bidegradable. If it ever leaks due to puncture etc... just wash it off with water (it is sticky). I had the local tire service come out and put it in for me ... took about 1/2 hour for both tires and cost about $160. If I remember correctly I gained about 800lbs of ballast.

What is RimGuard made of ? Anyone know? Someone told me it was made from "beet juice". Any idea how the cost of RimGuard compares to WW fluid or regular Calcium Chloride ?

Rim Guard = Beet Juice, Molasses, & Water ... Beet Juice doesn't freeze. Very thick and sticky but a great product!

Here in NE Ohio a lot of towns pretreat roads with beet juice. It's economical and doesn't harm road surfaces or structural components like salt does.

1kubota

Yep I used the winter grade washer fluid. 10 gal per rear tire didn't ad much weight but I think it helps some.
Larry
Northern,In