Electic powered attachments, will it catch on?

Mith

I just stumbled across this article in FarmShow, its actually about a Deere tractor that provides power to attachments not by a normal PTO, but by electrical power outlets. 400V 3 phase, and 240V DC.

Interesting idea, but I cant really see it catching on despite the benefits. I just cant see some of the attachments, like balers, being run on electricity

FarmShow article

Dougster

Old Member
I just stumbled across this article in FarmShow, its actually about a Deere tractor that provides power to attachments not by a normal PTO, but by electrical power outlets. 400V 3 phase, and 240V DC.

Interesting idea, but I cant really see it catching on despite the benefits. I just cant see some of the attachments, like balers, being run on electricity

FarmShow article
Well Mith, years ago the hydraulics for all pick-up truck-mounted snowplows were run off the engine. Now they are powered off the battery. There are many reasons for that evolution, of course... but with safety concerns everywhere these days... the eventual demise of the conventional PTO drive (as we know and love it) would not be a total shocker. :rolleyes:

Dougster :starbucks:

Well Mith, years ago the hydraulics for all pick-up truck-mounted snowplows were run off the engine. Now they are powered off the battery. There are many reasons for that evolution, of course... but with safety concerns everywhere these days... the eventual demise of the conventional PTO drive (as we know and love it) would not be a total shocker. :rolleyes:

Dougster :starbucks:

Yup instead of farmers getting wound up in the PTO we will be reading headlines like Farmer Electrocuted by Tractor

Mith

Yup instead of farmers getting wound up in the PTO we will be reading headlines like Farmer Electrocuted by Tractor

Thats what I'm thinking, voltage this high are very dangerous, particularly using the attachments in the rain! I'm sure they will be suitably insulated, but PTOs are protected and people still gets killed by them.

Thats what I'm thinking, 240V DC is incredibly dangerous!

That plus the fact that the attachments, which are not cheap to begin with will be even more expensive dut to the added motors and wiring. Try to tell a farmer that this will make his life easier and better, but by the way the cost of the implements have just gone up 20% to 30%.
I don't believe the idea of electric implements will catch on too quickly. :sorry:

Mith

I can see the advantages to some attachments, like seeders and spreaders, but no way does that make up for the downfalls though IMO.

Some of the other features on the tractor in the article are nice though. Compressor, reversible fan, and AC power sockets in the cab :D
The van at work has AC power off the engine, and its is the handiest thing since sliced bread. Great for field servicing.

PBinWA

Are they referring to linear actuators instead of hydraulic pistons?

I'm not sure of the strength of an actuator but if they can be made strong enough and cheap enough then they would be viable.

PBinWA

Are they referring to linear actuators instead of hydraulic pistons?

I'm not sure of the strength of an actuator but if they can be made strong enough and cheap enough then they would be viable.

Whoops - missed the link in Miths post. Still a cool idea. I could see it in some smaller tractors where adding remote hydraulics for light duty implements is too expensive.

I've thought of doing a simple electric linear actuator based grapple for light duty work but haven't found any info on how rugged actuators are.