RTV Daily uses, What did you do today with your RTV?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I finally got my RTV back from the dealer. While there fixing the linkage that slipped out of sync, I had a few other things done that by themselves were not worthy of a trip to the dealer. Left melted headlight fixed, fuel gauge replaced (it had been intermittent but turns out it was the gauge, no labor for replacing). I also had tubes put in the rear tires and I got the hand throttle yall had been talking about. Awesome.

So today I used the tractor FEL to load gravel in the RTV and ran the loads down to problem spots in my trails. Road maintenance I call it but actually is it trail maintenance. So much better to climb hills in M with the hand throttle than to chug along in L. Wish I had moved on this item a few years ago instead of procrastinating like I did.

Then I used it for it's weekly duty of hauling the trash up to the road for pick up tomorrow. Such a nice day, I'm wore out. Not ready for Monday workday tomorrow but somehow I'll survive.

Mark.Sibole

suggestion for ya Doc if tubed run them a little harder.If you dont the tube willl move about ever so slightly and wear the tubs causing to to leak.It happened to me several times before I learned

Kanook

Never could figure out why they thought tying the throttle linkage to the HST control was a good idea. For hauling heavy loads or pushing snow with a front blade the hand throttle does the trick for me. Been hauling full loads of oak, ash and maple out of the woods and creeping along in L with the rpm set around 1800 (no tach, so just guessing) works for me.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My RTV has been sitting in the garage. :(
Although I've been busy this time of year doing Spring "stuff", the RTV hasn't been the "go to" vehicle lately.
The tractor has been doing the brush-hogging and tilling for the garden; the ATV has been doing the light work. The RTV is loaded for harvesting firewood but that's not a priority right now as I'm already years ahead.

ovrszd

Hauled 12 loads of dirt Sunday. 1/8 mile one way. Had to blow the rear tires up to 30psi. They didn't like that much weight at 15psi. Sorry, no pics of that event.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Well at least they are rated 34 psi . :) Oh yea, I took this picture last week to show the tread left even after 3 years averaging over 600 hrs a year- so well over 1800 hrs on these.

Attachments

• 0418161323.jpg
    0418161323.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 647
Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Have had a lot of problems with the electric fence and spent a lot of time on the RTV the past couple of weeks keeping the 3 chargers hot.. ( All that Spring grass makes the cows want to reach through the fence to the greener other side.) The strange weather with all the rain and wind have added to the problems.. collie

Mark.Sibole

Mine is in constant use.If its not going down weekly to haul trash its bringing up fire wood to the house for the wood whore (boiler).I have 1 U joint in need of replacing but just havnt had the ambition to do it yet.Tear down is easy but with my hands U joints are a bear for me to replace as i always seem to loose a needle every time...

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I worked my RTV hard again yesterday, hauling more rock and spreading into the ruts on my trails. The trails are truly shaping up. This is a two fer effort .... I would not be able to accomplish this work without the help of the tractor with the FEL and the RTV with the hydraulic dump. Awesome dynamic duo. :D

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well at least they are rated 34 psi . :) Oh yea, I took this picture last week to show the tread left even after 3 years averaging over 600 hrs a year- so well over 1800 hrs on these.
Your tires look like new Collie. Impressive. Mine are similar but I do not put near that many hours on mine. Driving mostly on grass and dirt really saves the tires. Concrete wears them down so much quicker than good ole mother earth. :thumb:

cchaffee

Alternate use

I have used mine since I got it and rebuilt it 1 1/2 years ago for more things than i could imagine. The last 2 weeks i traveled for work and had near 150 hours.
So after I got home, mowed my yard. I rolled the wet areas with the RTV because of the 4-wheel, prepped my big mower for the season and then at 10:00 on Sunday...

I said enough. I haven't done this in a year. I fired up the orange truck and went over the hill and found trails and found more trails and, well you get it. 2 hours and 45 mins later i came home from putting in low, watching turkey, deer, grouse, looking at rock formations, found an 1861 cemetery for a whole family in the woods, Dominican Cigar.. just relax and roll .

Easiest job she has ever done, most peace I have had in a long time.

I've resigned myself to make time for this and do it more often.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Judy - the tread looks good and strong but the sidewalls look like they're dry-rotting (or is it my imagination)?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the thoughts Zoom. You are right in seeing the crazing. I park the RTV on the south side bay of the carport now that is exposed to sun all day. Remember about 2 years ago when my truck tires went bad ? I had my truck parked there then and the tires on the left hand,both "rotted "within warranty period with just a few thousand miles on them.
The RTV's side walls are still strong but it is concerning.... also need to post a more accurate picture of the tread from the top, because from the side the tread looks unscathed.
I have cataracts now too..I would suggest eye protection and sun block nowadays . If I leave plastic in the sun very long it rots too. remember the rubber band experiment from science class? ............. hummmm

Attachments

• 0412161337.jpg
    0412161337.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 606

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Rained like the dickens here yesterday morning, I used the RTV to get the mail, and planned to haul more rock to the trails but we had a tornado warning and more rain late after noon so the RTV got the day off for the most part.

Kanook

The 'Turtle' ( as the RTV is affectionately known in and around the neighbourhood) and I ventured out yesterday into the woods and returned with a few small spruce and balsam evergreens for transplanting near the house. BTW...Turtle name was borrowed from a post by 2GUNS several years ago. Everyone refers to the RTV by her given name "TURTLE".

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Well, today was our annual bull offering first pick, so the RTV was used to carry the folding chairs, tables and snacks to the barn. Then the bota shuttled a few folks to the restroom in the carriage house. After it was over, it carried the stuff back to the carriage house.. so much easier than using a truck...

xtruckerbob

Now that we have a 25D we have been hauling dirt to fill in washout spots, and hauling trees we dug up on our fence row to a big burn pile. We use it ever day for something even if it is just riding around the farm.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My wife's sister and her kids families visited this past weekend. 7 of them plus our kids and grandkids made for a total of 17 people to haul 3/4 mile to our river dock over very hilly terrain. The RTV was the main shuttle vehicle allong with our Honda 450ES ATV. I put two old car seats in the bed of the RTV and that allowed a couple folks to ride back there. Better than just sitting on a cushion in the bed, which is the way we did it last year.

FTG-05

Hey border, are those the PTI Whitewater Revolutions you got from Ronnie over at NoTerrainOffLine? I got those same ones, they are great!!!!

Lesterearl

I have read past post from 2009 talking about lift kits for the RTV 900 which say it alters the camber. Is that still true for the new 900's. I have a 2015 and have considered putting a lift kit on it as well as more aggressive tires. I saw the pic from bordercollie of the 26x11 tires. I am concerned about loosing power if i put what would be a two size increase from what came on it. Sorry to sound ignorant about this, this is my first post and first RTV.