crack in the cylinder head

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I do not believe there would be a noticeable loss of power. A leaking head gasket or a crack in a cylinder head or bore can result in an internal leak.

When there is an internal leak, coolant will flow into the cylinder when the engine is off and during the intake stroke. So coolant level might be a little low.

What makes you think you might have a cracked cylinder?

urednecku

Not sure about loss of power, but depending on where the crack leads, it would blow pressure into the coolant jacket, blowing coolant out & causing it to over heat quick. (Of course, overheating could have caused it to crack.)

stingray

oil level keeps on raising on the dip stick, i also got the oil tested to see what was in it, a lot of coolant was found in the sample tested.
so took of the head clyinder on the tractor and found the crack in the cylinder head:a1:

I do not believe there would be a noticeable loss of power. A leaking head gasket or a crack in a cylinder head or bore can result in an internal leak.

When there is an internal leak, coolant will flow into the cylinder when the engine is off and during the intake stroke. So coolant level might be a little low.

What makes you think you might have a cracked cylinder?

stingray

could it also be metal fatigue.

Not sure about loss of power, but depending on where the crack leads, it would blow pressure into the coolant jacket, blowing coolant out & causing it to over heat quick. (Of course, overheating could have caused it to crack.)

urednecku

could it also be metal fatigue.

I'm no mechanic, for sure. I'm not sure what all the causes of a cracked head could be. Most popular I recall tho I think is overheating, then maybe pouring cold water in it too fast with the engine shut down.

stingray

hmmm, maybe it could be the cause, but i put it down to old age, or metal fatigue, as the engine pistons and crankshaft is all renewed and i guess the pressure on the cylinder head was to much for the old 1959 mf35 tractor, now i have replaced the cylinder head with a new one:wink: all so good:smile:

I'm no mechanic, for sure. I'm not sure what all the causes of a cracked head could be. Most popular I recall tho I think is overheating, then maybe pouring cold water in it too fast with the engine shut down.

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
Sure is nice to be able to find major parts like that for 50+ y,o, tractors. Wonder if my heirs be able to find a head for my Kioti in 50 years? Or, more likely, in 20+ years?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sure is nice to be able to find major parts like that for 50+ y,o, tractors. Wonder if my heirs be able to find a head for my Kioti in 50 years? Or, more likely, in 20+ years?
I wonder that too ...or will they be able to make one with their 3D printer?