Bypass valve adjustment for 2011 900XT?

doggman

My 900XT is really hard to get out of reverse when I’m back up on an incline. It doesn’t do it on level surfaces. I looked at the “sticky” thread for adjusting the bypass valve that was posted by Doc and written by Ovrszd. However, the XT (not the newer X models) doesn’t have the same linkage set up as the earlier 900s.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to adjust the HST on the XT so that it unloads the pressure in idle? (I have tried waiting 10 seconds, using the handbrake, etc., but it’s no help)

Also, it occurs to me that it could be a shift fork or shift linkage issue but I have no idea how to constructively make those adjustments. (The RTV linkages remind of an old Weber Side Draft carburetor where making one adjustment would affect the other 19 valves and jet adjustments.)

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
if your unit is shifting out of gear on a level surface then you bypass valve doen't need adjusted. what is happening is the gravity is rolling your RTV against the gears and binding against the static HST. if you wish to check the poppet valve then on a level surface press the brake peddle and check to see if the poppet valve is pressed all the way in. you might consider lubing the poppet and pushit in with the engine off just to make sure it isn't sticking.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
the poppet valve that the brake peddle actuates is on the right rear of the RTV as you face it from the rear. it is a spring loaded cable mechanism that when you apply the brake hard it releases the poppet. first check the poppet to make sure it isn't sticking and if it is as most are put some HST oil on it and gently tap it in and pull it out and repeat until it is finger tight without the engine running. then check for adjustment and proceed.

hondajoe

pressure bypass

you must ck for neutral first jack it up pin the throttle if the tires move adjust that first.If not your bypass will never work to much oil to relieve.Its like a garden hose with a pin hole in it not going to work.Joe

doggman

Ovrszd - the 900XT doesn’t have a dash mounted relief valve control nor does it have the same driver side brake/relief valve linkage that the older models had. I’ll see if I can locate the poppet valve on the right that Aurthuritis described. Plus I’ll jack it up and see if the wheels are spinning in neutral. I don’t live full time where the RTV is garaged so I’ll check it out when I’m back at the farm.

BTW - I saw mention of an online shop manual but I couldn’t find the link. Could someone post it for me? I found the link for the operator’s manual but I have my original paper ones.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
the mechanism that operates the high pressure relief poppet valve on the rear right of the transmission. look for a small about the size of your thumb spring on the right rear of your machine. it has a lever attached to a bell crank that pushes in the relief valve when you depress the brake peddle. first make shure it isn't stuck by lubing the poppet and tapping it in with the engine off. then with the engine running in neutral have someone press the brake peddle and see it the bell crank pops the valve. i would recommend adjusting the whole system for proper operation first.