RTV-X1120 Side Bolster

Maine

We purchased a new RTV-X1120 last week, and it came with a "bolster" on either side. My guess is the bolsters are intended to help keep the occupants inside the ROPS in case of roll-over.

The only photos I've seen on a Kubota website of RTV's with the bolsters are photos of the new RTV-XG850 Sidekick.

Construction appears to be steel stamping welded to the side rail which is covered by a molded plastic shell.

Attachments

• RTV with Bolster.jpg
    RTV with Bolster.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Bolster 1-2.jpg
    Bolster 1-2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Bolster 2-2.jpg
    Bolster 2-2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 70

Maine

What I called "bolsters" in the post above are described as "shoulder guards" in the Kubota Sidekick brochure.
Half doors and shoulder
guards
Half doors on both sides keep out dirt, brush
and other unwanted elements while making
it easy to get in and out. Shoulder guards on
the ROPS help keep everyone safely inside
the vehicle during tight turns.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
if it were mine i would use a very thin cut off wheel and remove the side thingy's. if you do i neet job and go slow so as to not create to much heat then just a little debur and some touch up paint you would never know they were there. the next owner could reweld if need be.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Those are factory welds ? It's safety feature I guess, but would interfere with my spraying and vision. My elbow is always "out there " too. I definitely would remove it.
What I would like to see is a little protective shield below the arm rest- like if a dog was jumping off and got their rear leg hung . I've been considering doing that on the passenger side on mine- but only that. collie

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
If it works good deal, I'm 75 yo 6'3" and 225# and it would be just a PITA to keep avoiding as I enter and leave the machine. As an alternative, I'd probably cut off the mount about one inch or so above the tubing and cut an arm rest out of 2" pine and bolt it on the stub mount.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
I think they are for preventing the breaking of limbs in the event of a roll over. The Yamaha rhino ran into this, they figured out the first thing people would do when the machine was rolling onto its side was throw their leg out to catch themselves and well you know what happens next.