Help! b1700 very difficult to start

luvmybota

My b1700 (a '99 model with 450 hrs.) is extremely difficult to start when it is cold. Would anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong? When it's warm it cranks right up.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum!

Are you pre-heating your glow plugs? Not sure on your model but it's in the key. You set the key to a certain position and it heats the glow plugs. Hold it in this position for 10-15 seconds or until the glow plug light goes off on the dash and then it should start.

How cold are you talking about? Fuel jelling can be another culprit if it's really cold and you didn't add an additive.

luvmybota

Thanks for the welcome! I should have been more clear but what I meant was when the engine was cold not the air temp. As far as the glow plug light it doesnt go out, it just comes on when the key is in the glow plug position and stays on as long as the key is held in that position.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi luvmybota, Your unit being 11 years old, I wonder if you have checked the fuel lines? I have mentioned this before in other threads, but will just in case it might help.. Those lines will harden tiny cracks may form, and the clamps will loosen up . The vacuum will be lost as air seeps in- allowing the unit to loose prime. Then you have to crank and crank (and crank) (No electronic fuel pump) to get the fuel pushed to where it belongs. I have had this happen with 3 of 4 machines. The Case skid steer was a good example. Crank and crank and crank till you thought the battery was going. Then it would finally catch. When cold, the same thing.After trying to crank ,jump off and listen to the fuel line s and see if you can hear air seeping.Sounds like a faint way off mosquito .You could also see if a little tightening up on the clamps will help on the second time around. Anyway , I replaced my fuel lines and got new clamps too. No more problems. I see now why the manufacturers recommend changing the fuel lines after just a few years. By the way, I had no diesel leaking but could hear the air seeping . And I also tightened up the clamps on the old JD 332 because I forgot the new fuel lines and it kept its prime this past week. Good luck , Bordercollie

Kanook

LUVMTBOTA......
I own the same machine with approx the same number of hours only it's a '96 vintage..Have you replaced the paper element in the glass fuel filter bowl?

Kanook

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to NTT luvmybota!

Since the glow plug never go out I'd guess they are not heating like they should. Might be time to replace them.

Kanook

What LUVMYKUBOTA is reportingabout his light being on only when the key is held in position is normal operation for this machine. I'm not saying that his glo-plugs aren't bad but I had a similiar problem caused by the paper element in the line ilter bring partially clogged...easy and cheap to replace.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for clarifying kanook. On mine the glow plug light goes out when the plugs are preheated. I assumed his kubota was the same as mine. bad assumption on my part.

LETHAL GTS

Thanks for the welcome! I should have been more clear but what I meant was when the engine was cold not the air temp. As far as the glow plug light it doesnt go out, it just comes on when the key is in the glow plug position and stays on as long as the key is held in that position.

It is not suppose to go out as long as you hold the key in the glow position. Unlike the the bigger more elaborate L and M series tractors.
Your problem doesn't sound like a fuel issue, it sounds more like you need to replace your glow plugs. They do fail over time.
The reason I don't think it is a fuel issue is because you said you only have this problem when the engine is cold. If it was a fuel issue, such as a cracked line, plugged fuel filter etc.. It would be hard to start even when the engine is at operating temp.

Let us know what you find.