RTV X1100C Speedometer issue

NC Retiree

I have a second hand RTV X1100c (2015) that is always showing a 0 (zero) for speed and the mileage meter is no longer increasing. Everything else on the assembly meter works fine. Hour meter works fine. When I got it, it was working fine but just started acting funny and now just shows 0.

I checked the connector at the sending unit mounted on the side of the engine and it showed 12.5 volts on terminal 1 and 4.8 volts on terminal 2 (the middle one) which were according to the specs in the shop manual. I replaced the sending unit but that made no change.

So I assumed it must be the assembly meter located on the dash. I borrowed a used one from a dealer and found the same issue. He said it was from a waranteed work done from another RTV.

Either the meter needs to be replaced or there is some other gremlin messing with me.

Before I spend $250 to $300 on a new meter (which I can't return) I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how did you solve it?

I know this is long and appreciate and help.

NC Retiree

Last edited:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i think there is another sender somewhere on the transmission that picks up rotation and converts it into speed. probably just unplugged

shinnery

Any senders on the engine would only give you engine speed info or RPM as in a Tachometer. Vehicle speed or distance info has to come from the tranny output or differential somewhere. I believe you need to keep looking. Some VWs ran the speedometer off the front wheel. My '06 RTV900 has no speedometer.
Bryce

NC Retiree

Sorry for misstating the location of the speed sending sensor unit. I just confirmed that I am properly talking about the speeding sensor. I have replaced that unit but that made no change in the operation of the zero on the assembly meter. So as far as I can tell, there are no other sensors that might effect the proper operation.

I will go back and check the wiring harness and the contacts on the sensor but I'm pretty sure, unless someone else knows anything else, the meter will need to be replaced.

Thanks

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
i think there is another sender somewhere on the transmission that picks up rotation and converts it into speed. probably just unplugged

Aurthuritis is right regarding a side location on the models like I have had. I also remember installing one on my '05 - Now true, this was 12 years ago( ! wow ! and BCZoom sent me directions he found, on how to install it back then- :tiphat: ) I believe it was on one side of the transmission near the axle on the '05 . collie
edit : does the speedometer light up with the lights turned on?
edit: I misread your post but will leave this reply just because I want to shock Zoom with my great memory and eternal gratitude :) . have a great evening . :) collie

Last edited:

NC Retiree

We all need a shock every once in a while. I just confirmed the sensor is mounted on the transmission rather than the engine.

I hope I don't get bit buying a assembly meter and that does not fix the problem but that's life right?

If that fixes it, I'll post to let everyone know. If it doesn't, my 2015 RTV X1100c well have a newborn birthday.