L 39 Front Grille/Radiator Guard

M

mtntopper

After running over something while working brush piles for another party, I made a modification to the front end of my L39. I actually hit something hard enough underneath the radiator mount to bend the lower radiator mount, run the fan into the shroud and ended up replacing fan and shroud. My dealer worked quckly to get the parts under possible warranty. They sent their service truck to do the job as we did not see what caused the problem until disassembly. Since we had the machine apart I sent my stock grille guard back with the dealer to modify to prevent this from happening again. They welded a brace on the RH side under the radiator mount and reinforced the complete guard and added side guards to the existing grille guard. They did a great job on this mod to keep materials out of the grille area and to help prevent damage from underneath the radiator area.

Stock grille guard has no underneath support bracket on the RH side which allows the possibility of bending lower radiator support.
L39TLB Front.JPG

Modified and reinforced guard should prevent damage to grille and radiator support and also provides more side protection for the front end.
PB170005 (Medium).JPG

Mark777

Wow!

They did an excellent job.

You often see customization for a factory oversight cobbled together...and usually not very flattering to the original design. Not so with your present modification. I think it complements it more than the Kubota stock guard.

Dougster

Old Member
Wow! They did an excellent job. You often see customization for a factory oversight cobbled together...and usually not very flattering to the original design. Not so with your present modification. I think it complements it more than the Kubota stock guard.
I agree! That is the best looking "customized" grill guard that I have ever seen.

Where do I get mine??? :D

Dougster

M

mtntopper

Heartland Kubota in Sheridan WY can make one for your Kubota. They are a great dealership to work with and have a complete stock of new Kubota equipment, used equipment and accessories in stock. I have been to the dealerships in Billings MT and Rapid City SD which are much larger cities and the local dealer in the smaller town appears to have more new Kubota equipment, used equipment and accessories than the other two dealers put together. Talk to Brian if you want a similar type grille guard. I am sure he can put a HD grille guard together for your Kubota. He can use tractors on his lot to pattern off of as he did for mine to assure a good fit when I took it home to install.

http://www.heartlandkubota.com/

Mith

That looks pretty nice, looks kinda 'star trek' :D

You've definitely made the right decision to have this done before you get something through your radiator, I understand they are outrageously expensive!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nice. I need one also. I wonder if Markham welding will pick up on this and start selling them (no idea if there would be enough market for them).
The guard on my L 3010 is like the original one you showed.

shinnlinger

That does look nice...I have been meaning to whip one up for my rig for a while now...thanks for sharing....just when I think I know what I want I see somthing else.

You coud buy your own welder and have it pay for itself on your first project!

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That looks great. You have a good dealer!

Can I borrow it and see if it fits my L3400? :yankchain:

Dougster

Old Member
Now I guess I've got to be the one to ask... and please forgive me if this has been asked and answered a dozen times before... but what the heck is this??? -d

Attachments

• Mystery Part.jpg
    Mystery Part.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 111
M

mtntopper

It is an add on accessory air pre-cleaner for the air filter. Air enters the pre-cleaner, swirls, and settles here prior to entering the actual air filter. You can just dump it out and it saves the main air filter from most of the dirt that normally enters and blocks the filter. It came with the tractor as an accessory from my dealer on his recommendation. :thumb:

Dougster

Old Member
It is an add on accessory air pre-cleaner for the air filter. Air enters the pre-cleaner, swirls, and settles here prior to entering the actual air filter. You can just dump it out and it saves the main air filter from most of the dirt that normally enters and blocks the filter. It came with the tractor as an accessory from my dealer on his recommendation. :thumb:
Well, son of a gun. Is it a real Kubota accessory? Or aftermarket? Looks very business-like up there... kinda like a big CAT monster loader might have... but how do they know where to drill your hood... and how does it connect to the air cleaner? It must go up and down with the hood... yes??? :confused:

Dougster

M

mtntopper

The pre-cleaner has a tube through the hood and a large thumb screw (see the pic) above the hood to detach top portion of pre-cleaner to clean out dust or open the hood. The tube through the hood connects to the Kubota air filter housing. I am not sure if it is a genuine Kubota accessory. I doubt that it is made by Kubota. It will save you many air filters if you work in a dusty environment often. I clean mine as needed since I can visually see the dust level in the clear pre-cleaner housing. It is a very functional and cost effective add on that also looks good.
PB170007.JPG

Dougster

Old Member
The pre-cleaner has a tube through the hood and a large thumb screw (see the pic) above the hood to detach top portion of pre-cleaner to clean out dust or open the hood. The tube through the hood connects to the Kubota air filter housing. I am not sure if it is a genuine Kubota accessory. I doubt that it is made by Kubota. It will save you many air filters if you work in a dusty environment often. I clean mine as needed since I can visually see the dust level in the clear pre-cleaner housing. It is a very functional and cost effective add on that also looks good.
Very cool. :thumb: And that's a nifty high-res close-up of your new grille guard as well. Really shows the construction detail and excellent workmanship. Whoever did that has some real artistic talent!

Looks and sounds like you have a really great dealer there!!! :)

Dougster