Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Zoomie I noticed on your Bota a differnt bed.Did you make a different bed for it???
Yep. When I first got my RTV, I wasn't sure if the OEM bed was going to take the punishment of having wood tossed in/at it. I took off the sides and tailgate and built one out of wood. There's storage built into the sides with 5/4 decking as an exterior with a 2x12" board for the tailgate. It can literally take anything you throw at it.

Mark.Sibole

Thats what I thought.I did good on mine till this year.Wood punished the tailgate bad and the back from chucking logs in it.I have to tahe a 2 pound sledge and a 2 x 4 to the back every now and then so i can dump things without it hitting the plastic back.
I also like the idea you have for storage compartments.Thats what tipped me off in the image lol.Nice Bob I may pick your brain on it when i totally destroy my box lol.
Thanks for the reply.Keep an eye on them toes and fingers while cutting.Im 19 log cords in now and i know shit happens.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Anyone here have a Husqvarna 372XP chainsaw? I'm about to order one and looking for thoughts from people that have used one for awhile.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Have a Huskey 455 & 460 Ranchers.
Tuff as Hell. Can't bet them.

20", 12-13lbs. Cranks first and second pull EVERYTIME.

Will cut all day long, and be sitting there wanting some
more.

Have some bigger commercial / professional saws ( Husky & Skils)
around the place. But we ALWAYS grab the Ranchers, they handle
better and will do just about everything that man could throw at them.
Matter of fact, a few months ago my boys wanted to get a few of the saws,
they were clearing out some places with some big timber.
They grabbed the Ranchers of course !!!

The saw you are looking at, is a wonderful piece of equipment yea.
It's a Husky !!!

......... two guns:2gunsfiring_v1:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have 3 Huskies now. Two are professional and one is a homeowners. I really like their pro saws and want to stick with that line. The 372 is about the same size and weight as the ranchers but have about 50% more horsepower. (The 450 rancher has 3.5HP and the 372 has 5.3HP). I also want one that uses the same bar & chains I have now since I have a lot of chains.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I ordered the saw. My main saw is acting up (fuel issue) so I wanted to get a new one soon. I ordered online as it was $150 cheaper than buying locally so I should have it by Thursday, I hope...

Well, I got some of the wood done. It was too darn hot to work on it too much each day.

Here's what it looked like the end of last week.
attachment.php

Here's what it looks like now. All cleaned up and ready to hit pile #3.

Attachments

• CIMG0221.jpg
    CIMG0221.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 74
  • CIMG0222.jpg
    CIMG0222.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 73

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Collie, thank you for the tip on the DK45 filter. I will need to do the 50 hour service on my DK45SE this fall, and that's the first ting I've read on that stubborn filter that has actually made sense. You've no doubt save me a lot of trouble as well as cussing!

Thanks

Fred

Thank you Fred. :) I said DK45 but actually have a DK40se.. but I imagine the filters are similar in removing.... real "pains" the first time around. :tiphat: collie

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
My main saw is acting up (fuel issue) so I wanted to get a new one soon.

I have been having a lot of fuel issues with my Stihl weedeaters. Each time I take one to the shop, they keep it two weeks, tell me it was bad fuel, then charge me about $100.

Once in the Stihl dealer's, I saw some premixed, ethanol free fuel that is supposed to last 2 years after opened. http://www.stihlusa.com/products/oils--lubricants-and-fuels/premixed-fuel/

It's very expensive - about $8.50 for a quart, but if it will keep my equipment running then it might be worth it.

I bought a quart thinking that at the end of the day I would empty the tank, run some of the premixed fuel through the weedeater, then shut it off. Once the weedeater starts the next time, I'll use regular mixed fuel until I'm done for the day, then empty the tank and put a little premixed fuel in it.

I don't know if this will work or not but if it will keep my weedeaters starting, then maybe paying around $34 a gallon for this premixed stuff will be worth it.

Has anyone else used the premixed fuel?

As a side note, I have an Echo chain saw and weedeater that I bought in the early 1980's. The chain saw will run any kind of fuel you throw at it. The weedeater is a little more finnicky, but if I can ever get it started, it will run well with old fuel. Makes no sense to me why the old stuff doesn't care about old fuel but the new stuff does.

Bob

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I started using aviation fuel a few years ago and haven't had a fuel issue since. A little more expensive but worth it in the long run

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mine isn't acting like bad gas. Seems more like a clog. Since Mrs. Zoom was there with me when the thing started acting up and she could see how pissed I was getting, she didn't even blink when I mentioned I was going to go spend $800 and get a new saw.

I'll tinker with it tomorrow to see if I can clean it out. I can't complain though. The saw is about 16 years old and it's never seen a shop and nothing more than filter cleanings and a bar or chain when needed.

You can get ethanol-free gas at a lot of places. Marinas normally carry it. Go to pure-gas.org for a list of gas stations in your area.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Awhile back on here I had the same problem with my good ol 1986 Stihl that has maybe 100 cords or more under it's belt. Had myself sold on a new Husky and the Rancher models really stood out. Then, as I was checking out the prices I decided to jump in and it least take a look the machine to figure out it's fuel problem......Took off the cover there by the plug, air filter, and there was a fuel line laying there in pieces. Went down to the parts outfit and got a $7 fuel line that was 2 inches long and>>>>>>WOW.....Runs like a champ......

Shucks....can't rationalize the new saw after all.....Oh well, time will tell.....The new Huscky's are better than the new Stihl for weight vs HP vs price....Good stuff......So, spent the money on an Oregon chain sharpener and wah freaking lah......Cutting wood like never before..........life and God are Good........Dennis

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yep on the fuel line. Had a Stihl go down with that issue a couple months ago.

I'll start at the fuel tank and work my way in. Hope I don't have to go too far.

There's nothing rational about my wood cutting. Heck, if I didn't buy all my wood processing gear, I'd have enough money to crank the heat up to 80° all winter for the rest of my life. It's kind of like hunting. You spend good money going after something you buy for 1% of the cost.

Kanook

Zoomie....

As the sayin' goes ..'.a chicken in every pot'

and in your case "a chainsaw in every trailer"

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Zoom, wow are the Husky's that high priced now? I purchased a new Husky 353e a few years ago. Walked out the door for around $450.

By the way I highly recommend the 353e if you can still get them. It's a professional model. It replaced my stolen 359. 353e is one pound lighter than the 359 and is very near the capability of the larger 359.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
:)

The new 372xp will be added to my current Husky stable. The Homelite isn't allowed outside of the barn.

Attachments

• CIMG0194.jpg
    CIMG0194.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 64

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
Has anyone else used the premixed fuel?

Bob

When I bought a FS190 last year, Stihl was offering to double the warranty with the purchase of a case of their fuel at the same time. So I bought the fuel, and have used only their stuff since. Now I don't use it a whole lot, but have had no starting problems after leaving it idle for a while. So far, so good.

I don't remember paying that much per quart though.

Fred

bakerg

Seen on the news that 1 heck of a rain storm rolled through Detroit yesterday causing alot of flooding and alot of cars under water on the highways.:eek2:

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Seen on the news that 1 heck of a rain storm rolled through Detroit yesterday causing alot of flooding and alot of cars under water on the highways.:eek2:

I wonder what they got for totals, 90 miles north of Motown we took 6+" in less than 5 hours.

It's interesting how time of year makes a ton of difference. If we took that in the spring with the ground saturated it would raise all kinds of issues such as flooding and heavy errosion. During the summer, as in now, it's much drier than spring but fairly normal for this time of year as I haven't had to water the grass yet this year. Now the ground just drinks it up. There were low spots in the streets that flooded and stopped traffic but that's gone 24 hours later.

My acreage has some low spots that are a foot deep in water or so and the ditch is running but the mighty Saginaw and the Titabawassee River near me are flowing fairly normal as the ground took most of the rain.

I'll bet my property is fairly dry in a couple of days as the trees respire a lot of what is standing as well as the sandy soil under my property will disperse the rest.

Bob

Mark.Sibole

I lived 5 blocks from the major flooding 20 years ago
Id comment on it in my own humor but wife told me i need to behave.

Status
Not open for further replies.