One headlight is out on my RTV

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had to use the lights on my RTV last weekend and it did a good job of showing the road ahead. I didn't even realize that one of the lights was out.
Has anyone else had to replace the stock RTV 900 headlight? Can the lights be bought at a local autoparts store or do you have to go to kubota?
About how much do they run?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Doc, I got my bulb at the local auto parts store as muleman said. They might even have it at a big WM. Here is a picture of one of mine back when I had the '05. It had come loose... They just twist in.. like on an auto.. and had started melting the plastic. I saw some smoke , stopped real quick and saw the hot bulb, sitting on the plastic and smoking away.. I have the # at the barn will see if I can find it today. I can't remember the cost but somewhere on the side of $10 I think. ( at the auto parts store) bordercollie

edit: That weird look on the side is some of the melted plastic. It could have been bad...

Attachments

• DSCF2440.jpg
    DSCF2440.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 297

chad450r

Bulbs

The bulbs are used in fog light assemblies. You can even get them in a higher wattage. +10 watts over stock if I remember right. Also remember not to touch the glass or it will burn out premature.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks guys. BC. Looks like mine did like yours. It melted right down through the light housing.
It has melted into place. Don't know how I'd ever removed it. It was harder than the dickens to get the light socket out of there. Mine is an 06 model year.

Hope u can see it in this pic.

Attachments

• image-4058562279.jpg
    image-4058562279.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 282
  • image-826091071.jpg
    image-826091071.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 283

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Looks like Messick's has the bulb for 9.00 plus shipping. Part number
K7571-54340.

You might get one from the local Autozone or Advanced.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It appears I need the entire assembly now. I don't think the bulb would stay in place the way mine sites now .... and the bulbs obviously get HOT.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm sorry to hear that Doc.. I wonder if that guy with the bad engine ever scrapped his RTV for parts..?? It was a month or so back??
My assembly had a small slit burned in it too but I had just enough of the bulb bracket left to hold the bulb sorta.. I did put some epoxy on it and made it work better - handled well- the bulb should to last for years... Good luck Doc......

bordercollie

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
good thought on the member who might be parting his out. I'll check with him. :thumb:

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Doc, it will be just like a Chevy truck. You can afford the bulb but the plastic housing will make you curse the damn engineer who come up with that design. Friend had to replace his and it cost him almost $140 for the housing.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc, it will be just like a Chevy truck. You can afford the bulb but the plastic housing will make you curse the damn engineer who come up with that design. Friend had to replace his and it cost him almost $140 for the housing.
Damn. :eek: If that is the case I can get by on one light for a long long time. Remember I said the one headlight was purty dang bright. No biggie. Might add some add on lights if I need to.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Are y'all melting everything using OEM bulbs or aftermarket with a higher intensity?
Mine melted the housing when it came loose and jiggled down to touch the back of the reflector area just below where it twist in. It was the oem that came in the '05... .. Darn Doc. I think I would have to experiment with some epoxy or resin.........:pat: bordercollie

ZZZ2D1

Site Supporter
$6.00 AT WALMART - ITS AN INDUSTRY STANDARD BULB - AVAILABLE IN 35 OR 55 WATTS

vintovka

I;d like to add that i have had this problem too. If not mentioned earlier i found the cause was stuff under the hood that pulled the headlight wires out and caused them to short. I fixed it by plastic "welding" the socket part back together (soldering iron with spoon tip) installing a new bulb and rewiring the headlights so that the wires are tucked away and out of danger. FWIW the OEM headlights are ok but a set of Hellas mounted inside the brushguard are much, much better.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc - Have you checked with AdamsRepair to see if he may have a headlight assembly?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc - Have you checked with AdamsRepair to see if he may have a headlight assembly?
No BC I have not. Been busy with a few other higher president items, Good idea though.

I never changed bulbs in the RTV since I got it but as far as I know the bulbs were standard, no high power stuff.

RTO

Can anyone tell me what the aftermarket replacement part number is for OEM headlight bulb K7571-54340? I can't read the dot matrix numbering on the OEM headlight bulbs in my 2013 RTV-X1100c. Looking for something brighter, but cooler running. Perhaps something in the LED line. Recommendations welcome! Thanks!

Mark.Sibole

Thanks guys. BC. Looks like mine did like yours. It melted right down through the light housing.
It has melted into place. Don't know how I'd ever removed it. It was harder than the dickens to get the light socket out of there. Mine is an 06 model year.

Hope u can see it in this pic.

Before I replaced the whole light i would seriously look into a JB weld patch.Ive been keping an eye on mine since i first seen the post on this and mine seem to be ok.Hopefully it wont happen to me .But I Call JB weld the miracal in a tube lol.