Problem with FEL not holding position.

rback33

Looks simple enough to me Kid! :) Just call if you need any advice from NTT's voice of untold knowledge & experience... and one and only OLD MEMBER! :D

Dougster :starbucks:

Do you have a hidden counter that alerts u when someone uses one of these :starbucks: in a thread so you can go police it? :yum::yum::yum::letitsnow:

Dougster

Old Member
Do you have a hidden counter that alerts u when someone uses one of these :starbucks: in a thread so you can go police it? :yum::yum::yum::letitsnow:
I think what you wanted to do was to compare old Dougster to one of those pigs they use to sniff out truffles. :yum: :yum:
Man, you two are brutal today! :rolleyes: I offer a little technical help and get stomped on like a cockroach! :eek: Okay for you guys! I'll just take my Starbucks cards and see y'all later! :tiphat:

N

Nicahawk

EEEGAAADDDDS. Whay have I gotten myself into....Dang.... How does the valve get oil? Am I right in thinking that the four lines off the back there go to remotes on the back of the tractor? Is this how the loader is plumbed/how it get fluid? If so, is the three point getting fluid from somewhere else? For the record, SHMBO HAS given me green light for a possible "lucrative" Saturday afternoon drive south... She wanted me to define "lucrative".. I said it might not actually cost anything... she did not think this was lucrative but it was the only spin I had plus u said something about a 30 pack...:alc:at any rate.. I am trying to decide how much help I can be... I hate to waste yer time coming down there is there is nothin I can do.... even though I LOVE that part of the state and have not been there in probably seven years....

I am guessing that u are fairly mechanical....I have not met too many engineers that weren't... do you have the ability to do much metal fabrication?

If there's one thing I can do it's medal fabrication. Yes, loader is plumbed from the back. Was set up so if loader was not on, you had remotes on the back. OBTW, weather is projected to be much better than today, maybe even sunshine, and trust me, it would not be a waste of my time. Back to sub, I'm hydraulics deficient, but the three point picks up internally....I think.
icon5.gif
Almost has to, where else...Sat afternoon is good if it works out.

rback33

OK. One of my questions was clear in my head, but would have made no sense to most anyone here... The valve that runs the levers for the remotes on the back... is the a line split somewhere that supplies oil to it? A line that very well might connect somewhere at the back where the three point is... Most of today's loader valves have an "In" port, an "out" port and the power beyond port. I am guessing that yours is not set up this way. My guess is that we could find a way to plumb the loader in with a valve and single lever control... this is one of those times that ole madreferee's brain would be invaluable. For those who don't know, he was an old TBN hydraulics guru of sorts that passed away last year.

mongoose

OK. One of my questions was clear in my head, but would have made no sense to most anyone here... The valve that runs the levers for the remotes on the back... is the a line split somewhere that supplies oil to it? A line that very well might connect somewhere at the back where the three point is... Most of today's loader valves have an "In" port, an "out" port and the power beyond port. I am guessing that yours is not set up this way. My guess is that we could find a way to plumb the loader in with a valve and single lever control... this is one of those times that ole madreferee's brain would be invaluable. For those who don't know, he was an old TBN hydraulics guru of sorts that passed away last year.

You need a "power beyond block" if you want to be able to use your remotes & your loader. With some model tractors you can use a generic one, others are model specific.

N

Nicahawk

I've had this little 1020 for about 25 years and never hooked up any thing other than the FEL. Hoses go in and out of the two controllers and have disconnects on the back. I always assumed that if I took the FEL off, then I could use the controls for something else. There is no split or other take off on any of the lines, just in and out of the controller and to the FEL and back. Am I wrong in thinking I could use one of the controls for something on the back, say a hyd top link buy disconnecting the tilt controller?
icon5.gif

Last edited:

rback33

I've had this little 1020 for about 25 years and never hooked up any thing other than the FEL. Hoses go in and out of the two controllers and have disconnects on the back. I always assumed that if I took the FEL off, then I could use the controls for something else. There is no split or other take off on any of the lines, just in and out of the controller and to the FEL and back. Am I wrong in thinking I could use one of the controls for something on the back, say a hyd top link buy disconnecting the tilt controller?
icon5.gif

Early bird I see! Yeah... this is a challenging setup you have, as I believe it is closed. (thanks to Doug for reminding/confirming for me) I probably have a valve that would work, but it IS inventoried and most likely $$$$. I am beginning to think that rebuilding what you have is the best option. I have been trying to find schematics and info on the hydraulics on that thing to no avail yet. I am not sure I would be much help, but I would love to get down to that neck of the woods tomorrow just to see the area again. It's one of my favorite areas of the state.

rback33

You need a "power beyond block" if you want to be able to use your remotes & your loader. With some model tractors you can use a generic one, others are model specific.

You fell into the same thinking I was headed for, but the thing is that his is a completely different closed system than most of the stuff we see today(open center).:pat: Ruined all my plans...

OK... I found some info on Yesterday's tractors... we are getting somewhere... slowly....

Last edited:

Dougster

Old Member
Lord knows I didn't want to throw water on anyone's fun... especially Jim's and Jeremy's... but I was pretty sure :confused: that JD 1020 utilized a closed center hydraulic system and needed a closed center loader valve (or at least a valve field convertible to closed center use). Since I didn't know what loader valve Jeremy had in mind, I just had to ask! :rolleyes:

The conversion job is far from impossible, but will probably cost a lot more money than simply rebuilding the existing valves... which I recommend anyway even if only for possible future rear remote set use. Heck, the new hoses alone will probably cost a bundle by my standards. :eek:

For now, I'd love to see the tractor's hydraulic diagram... and what (physically) is on the other side of the current control valves. :)

N

Nicahawk

Early bird I see! Yeah... this is a challenging setup you have, as I believe it is closed. (thanks to Doug for reminding/confirming for me) I probably have a valve that would work, but it IS inventoried and most likely $$$$. I am beginning to think that rebuilding what you have is the best option. I have been trying to find schematics and info on the hydraulics on that thing to no avail yet. I am not sure I would be much help, but I would love to get down to that neck of the woods tomorrow just to see the area again. It's one of my favorite areas of the state.

Hey, feel free to visit anytime, beverages are in stock, :beer: and the front gate is never locked. :tiphat: Rebuilding (controllers) is what everyone seemed to agree on would be the best option, and I'm back to planing to do that when it warms up a little. The joy stick was a good idea if was cheap, easy, my wife could do it, :yum: and it wouldn't take her more than an afternoon to complete.:smartass: Thanks for your looking in to this for me.:respect:

rback33

Hey, feel free to visit anytime, beverages are in stock, :beer: and the front gate is never locked. :tiphat: Rebuilding (controllers) is what everyone seemed to agree on would be the best option, and I'm back to planing to do that when it warms up a little. The joy stick was a good idea if was cheap, easy, my wife could do it, :yum: and it wouldn't take her more than an afternoon to complete.:smartass: Thanks for your looking in to this for me.:respect:

OK. So everyone idea of cheap and easy varies. I have book marked two pages today. One is a page on YT that tells you where to cut in to plumb another valve. The other is a SC page with a closed center valve that may work. I can email you links if you like. You can PM your addy. I will be on off and on this evening I think and will certainly be on tomorrow while the wife is at work.