Isnt it about time we had an 'oops' thread?

Dougster

Old Member
Yup, any oops will do :D You know Dougster, we arent going to let you off without posting the story now! :)
You're welcome Doug.:yum: :yum: :starbucks:
Well, the funny thing is that there really isn't much to tell about the incident itself. While I still kick myself in the butt over the amateurish stupidity of it, the story itself is really quite boring...

It was on that infamous "rockscape" job last summer (a job which I hope is NEVER repeated by moi). After we had two monster granite rocks... 16,000 lbs and 11,000 lbs... busted up by the rock splitter guys and after I had hauled the pieces away to the waste pile, we suddenly discovered another 8,000 lb granite rock had been hidden right under the 11K one. The rock splitting guys were already gone, and the rock was too big to haul out of it's hole with the 509 backhoe... so we decided to bury the rock deeper rather than try to remove it. We initially tried some Dexpan (non-explosive splitting compound) to bust it up into smaller pieces, but the Dexpan turned out to be useless... so off I went, digging a big hole around and under the 8,000 lb granite rock.

Well, the good news is that I was able to rebury that nasty rock several feet deeper and well below the desired grade, saving another $500 rock splitter guy fee. The bad news is that while digging under the rock, I managed to scratch the bucket curl cylinder rod all to heck... not once, but twice! :( I eventually managed to finish the rockscape job without further incident, but the scratches in that chromed cylinder rod later started to rust and peel... and now the rod needs to be replaced. :eek: The whole thing made me feel like a complete idiot. :rolleyes:

So you see, the "oops" part itself is really rather mundane and boring. Where things get complicated and ugly is in my subsequent dealings with my old (i.e., original selling) Mahindra dealer and Bradco on the replacement part... another much L-O-N-G-E-R story for another thread and another time... and a battle that still isn't over yet! :rolleyes:

Dougster :starbucks:

jbrumberg

This is another minor "oops" event. I should have plowed the 6.5" snow then rain event in the rain yesterday, but I got lazy. Today, I can now say that my 75' outdoor extension cord is in several pieces thanks to my lameness, my box blade scarifiers, and the cutting edge of my FEL during my attempts to move the cord and remove the ice/snow today :(. If you want to see visual evidence let me know. Jay

shinnlinger

My biggest oops didn't involve a tractor, but rather a school bus with my wives minivan on a trailer stuck between the north and south bound lanes when I was taking an illegal U turn.

Two wreckers later (thank goodness for triple A) and $120 to the MOntana state plolice I was rolling again. (untill the trailer fell off in Clevland anyways)

Bindian

I'm taking a vote! :) How many members here *didn't* see this coming!!! :yum:

Dougster :starbucks:
Dougster,
I sure didn't.:rolleyes: My oops list includes puncturing a radiator hose with a sharp pine limb on my old Ford 3055 and another time shearing a valve stem off of it's rear wheels. Possibly by the same mean and hungary pine limb. I have "stuck" the box blade on a tall stump. It popped up and over it when I backed into it, but wouldn't pop up when I drove forward. The stump was too tough to yield. The more I fought it, the more the rear tires dug a deeper hole. I had to jack the tractor up to get the box blade over the stump. I also stuck the old Ford's front axle in it's shed. Come to find out a rain water spring came out there and it was too tight to power out in reverse. I got to jack it then also.:rolleyes:
hugs, Brandi