Cub Cadet 100

Mith

Picked this little number up this morning. It caught my eye and the owner accepted the offer I made him to make it mine.
Only every seen one of these before and that was at a show, so I figure there arent too many over on this side of the pond.

Started playing with it a few hours ago, the engine was seized solid, and the carb missing.
I managed the break the engine free, remarkably even the valves move, and it seems to have fair compression.
I found a belt to fit the S/G and found that even the electrics work.
Never know, with a carb it might fire up.

Anyone have any idea of age? As I say, I know nothing about these, not common atall.

Attachments

• Image202.jpg
    Image202.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 34

Mith

Thanks Dan. I forgot to look for the serial numbers, but from that site it looks like they were only made for a few years in the 60's anyway.
The gearbox on it sure looks the part and it weighs an absolute ton. The clutch is seized, but I figure once its running I'll tie it to a tree and start it up in gear, that ought to break it loose.

Thanks Zion. Apart from a little dirt and some surface rust its in pretty good condition. All seems to be pretty much original on it.

Well, I managed to find a spark today. And by dumping some fuel down the spark plug hole got a few pops out of it.
I tried to fire it up using a carb of a 12HP Kohler, but alas, no go so far. I think the wiring needs a little cleaning up, the starter spins quite slowly.
Still, considering it was seized when I got it, any sort of noise out of it is quite encouraging.

Mith

According to the serial number its a '69 machine.

Got it started!
I was playing around with it and was getting increasingly random pops and puffs of smoke. Pulled the plug out and the spark was all over the place.
Found another plug in the workshop and it fired straight up! Runs a little erratically, but that could be either because it has the wrong carb, or no exhaust.

Anyway, the clutch it still seized, but I managed a lap around the lawn before packing up.
I was so close to parting it out and storing the good bits, now I am glad I took the time to try and fix the engine. So far no ££ spent, but if everything works I might buy a carb to fit it so I can have the one off the 12HP spare engine back.

Any thoughts on breaking the clutch? Take the tractor apart, or try and free it by driving around?
It looks like I would have to take the engine out to take the clutch apart, but it didnt free off when I was driving it around the garden earlier.

Mith

It took a bit of prying, but the clutch is now free.
The governor isnt working quite right, but I think thats more an adjustment thing more than anything else.

Other than that though, its quite a good little runner. Drives OK too.