Ramsey 5000 winch

andrewbph

I'm looking at buying the Ramsey 5000 for the RTV. Does anyone have any suggestions or one in use? I've been in some sticky situations already and currently use a hand winch, which works fine if there is someone to help. An automatic winch would be nice. I'm still thinking of getting a plow and was wondering if the Ramsey will be in the way.</P>

Thanks, Andy</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Andy

If the situations you've been in can get you out with a hand winch, do you really need a 5000# winch?

A couple things...
The Ramsey 5K# winch and I believe (please confirm if you're considering) the 4 & 5K# winches from Warn are too big to fit in the spot behind the grill guard so it'll need to be mounted externally.

Hunterworks has an external winch mount http://www.hunterworks.com/inc/sdetail/3978 but, the bolt patterns on the larger winches aren't standard like the 2.5 & 3K# winches. I don't know if Hunterworks external mount would fit the Ramsey since the bolt pattern is different. Others may have a winch mount but I can't think of any right now.

I "think" (but you should definitely confirm) that the external mount would not be in the way of a plow.

Brian

Coastline

I've got a Warn 4000 lb. winch installed behind the grill guard (you can't see it) on my RTV. And it works very well.

G

Thanks for the advise. I'm looking at the Ramsey 3000 with a wireless remote. Hunterworks has one for just over $400 for the kit. What do you think? </P>

Andy</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I get stuff from Hunterworks but on the winch, it was cheaper on e-bay. If you do want to go with e-bay, let me know and I'll see if I can find the receipt to see who I got it from. The seller is very reputable.

As noted, I have the Ramsey 3000.

The winch is great but I've had some problems with the wireless remote. Now, if I can just recall exactly what it was.... (I haven't used it in awhile). If I recall correctly, there's times when you're using the remote to spool some cable out the winch spools out for about 3 seconds, then stops for 1 second then repeats this process. When spooling in, there's no problem.

I got a better antenna which "I think" helped the issue but thought I recall having that 3/1 second issue a couple times afterwards.

Brian