winch for RTV 900

G

Just bought a new 900 and have been looking online at the Warn 4.0 and the Ramsey 5000 Honcho.....wondering what most folks have been doing and where is a good place to buy one... thanks in advance....</P>

G

I just purchased an RTV 900 GP and purchased an onetouch2you model <FONT color=#000080><FONT size=2>3000lb Winch with Remote Model = LD3000AI </FONT><FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" color=#000000 size=3>and removed the front grill; the plate was already there and just bolted the winch and fairlead to plate (had to drill two additional holes in plate and increase size of two holes in plate that came with winch.. Wired in and for 149.00 had a complete 3000lbsolution.</FONT></FONT></P>

Dave</P>

G

Hi I put a ramsey 5000 honcho on my 06 rtv I had to buy a ramsey winch mount for it.

G

Thanks... Ibought the Ramsey 5000 tooand bought the wireless kit to go with it.....have not used it yet but it looks like it will do just about any job.....</P>

ba7man

I got the aftermoarket mounting plates to install the Warn 4.0 winch on my RTV.You for sure need the after market plates to mount it! Then it fits so neat inside the pocket with the fairlead actually recessed about .25” behind the leading edge of the grill guard. Protected and not in the way of the snow plow. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<P class=MsoNormal><FONT face="Times New Roman" color=black size=3><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: black">A couple of items a guy should have known <SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">BEFORE</SPAN> doing this job.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></FONT></P>

1. <LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: black; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1"><FONT face="Times New Roman" color=black size=3><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">Step one; remove the lower plastic black grill cover. 4 easy bolts in 5 minutes and it is loose. It won’t come off because it is pinned by the grill guard; just tape it up a couple inches out of the way. Otherwise it is not possible to tighten the last 4 bolts that hold the new plate and the OEM mounting plate to the frame.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></FONT>
    <LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: black; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1"><FONT face="Times New Roman" color=black size=3><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">The 4 bolts you remove from the OEM winch mount plate are reused to bolt the new plate to the top of the original plate, but are now to short. Plan on getting 4 longer metric bolts to replace these. I used 10 x 1.25 x 30 and they worked fine.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></FONT>
    <LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: black; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1"><FONT face="Times New Roman" color=black size=3><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">The instructions say that the electrical contact lugs on the winch motor are labeled on the end cap of the motor with a #1 and a #2 for wiring polarity. I really don’t know as after mounting, there isn’t 0.040” clearance to see. My only option was to connect the wires and run the control, and then reverse the wires when it ran backwards. Do yourself a favor and mark at least one of the studs with tape on the top surface of the winch motor.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></FONT> </LI>
<P class=MsoNormal><FONT face="Times New Roman" color=black size=3><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: black">Other than these three “edits” the plates and the whole project are great! Well worth the $65.00. <o:p></o:p></SPAN></FONT></P>

captmyway

hi dave</P>

was wondering where you purchased the 3000lb winch??? i also have a 06 and want to put a winch on it... </P>

thanks</P>

Boondox

Coastline -- I'd heard other RTV owners complain that a winch was
nearly useless because the weight of the RTV was nearly the limit of
the winch's capacity...so if you got hung up on a stump or a rock with
a load in the bed you were SOL. Of course they might have had one of
those 2500# ATV winches. What sort of situation were you in where you
had to use that Warn 4.0 and how did it work for you? Do you wish you
had gone to a bigger winch?

Pete

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Pete,

On another forum I saw you were close to getting one. Did you order/get it yet?

Re. the winch, I have a Ramsey 3000 on mine.

Like you, I do a lot of firewood and my primary use for the winch is to drag logs to the trail.

To me, the Ramsey 3000 works fine. It does bog down under extreme load but at that point, it'll start dragging the RTV. That's dragging it slightly uphill with the emergency brake on so the rear tires are dragging, not rolling.

For dragging logs, I would also propose whatever winch you get, you get the wireless remote as well. This allows you to be standing next to the log while dragging it. That's key so you can use a cant hook or whatever to stop it from snagging while you drag it.

Brian

Coastline

Pete I would assume the ones complaining about it only had the 2.5 winch which would not provide adaquete pulling power since the rtv itself weighes around 2000 lbs. In my situation I was goind across a ditch and frond and back ends got caught on the ditch bank. No problems at all with the 4.0 winch pulling it out.

Boondox

Brian - Thanks for the welcome! I haven't ordered yet. Haven't even
told my wife I intended to yet. I was going to, but one of our dogs
(her favorite) died two days ago and there's a bit of grief at the
Boondox homestead.

I have two dealers within a reasonable distance of home, so have been
asking them both for pricing and availability. Dealer A has several in
stock in the configuration I want: brand spanking new for $11,300 or a
demo with 30 hours for $11,000. Dealer B has none in stock presently,
but will by the time I'm ready to buy. Same price for new but with a
metal roof. They've also offered to let me rent a camo RTV from Friday
till Monday first thing for $135 to try before I buy...and if I buy the
rental price is deducted from the invoice. I like that, as I have some
concerns that such a heavy vehicle will not like my muddy hills much!

I have a big Farmi 501 logging winch on my Kubota L4630 for skidding
logs closer to the logging roads. The RTV winch would be strictly for
pulling it out of mud or off stumps, etc.

Pete

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry to hear about your dog. :-(

Not sure how your logging trails are but if you expect you may be brushing the top of the RTV against any limbs or whatever, you may want to go with the plastic/poly roof. They bounce back after brushing or banging into something. The metal won't...

If I recall correctly, your intent is to use your Farmi for dragging to the trails then cut into firewood size, load into the RTV and carry to the woodshed. This then reduces the step(s) of removing all the mud and such accumulated from dragging before you hit it with the saw. If so, it's a fine process and is pretty much what I do. Actually, I've switched from the Farmi winch to just using the winch on the RTV for most trees (unless their monsters). I don't have to drag that far so I rarily need more than 50-100' I use the 50' with the winch then use straps for any remaining distance. I would also say the primary reason for the switch to using the RTV winch is that with the wireless remote, I can stay with the log instead of returning to the Farmi (unless I put a longer rope on the winch).

G

I put a warn 6000# on mine and my only complaint is i need to strap the rear bumper to a tree to use it for heavy winching. It will drag the RTV with all brakes on.</P>