Difficulty in shifting

Rontuski

A friend of mine just took delivery of his new RTV here in Michigan. I have looked it over and cannot see any differences from my 2005 model with one exception. His machine has a (hydraulic release?) probably not the correct term, but it apparently releases the hydraulic pressure and allows for easier shifting into and out of 4wd and also between H/M/L. Has anyone else more information on this and I was wondering if it could be retrofitted to older models.</P>

Love my machine and wonder how I survived all this time without it.</P>

Rontuski</P>

</P>

</P>

G

Your exactly right. Its a pressure dump for the hydrostatic. It makes shifting easier on hill and when the transmission is under load. It can not be retro-fitted to old models. Really, its only going to be of use to people who are constantly on hills. I have not used it much for day to day work. </P>

</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have one of the early models...

If/when it's hard to get out of gear, just apply the emergency brake and wait about 3-5 seconds. I can then get it in/out of any gear.

G

There have been many, many posts written about the gear shifting/emergency brake problem and solution. I have yet to see the easiest procedure mentioned.....</P>

Just use the brake pedal!</P>

1.Stop on hill.</P>

2. Apply foot brake until transmission equalizes ( 2 to 4 seconds as bczoom says )</P>

3. Change gears.</P>

4. Now,move your foot to the"go" pedal.</P>

We get so used to putting our foot on the floor to come to a stop, that we forget there really is a brake pedal, and that is useful.........</P>

</P>

Don Sweger</P>

fastmvr

<font size="2"><font face="Arial">One other thing that hasn't been mentioned here is something I found helped a lot on my 2005. I changed out the initial Xmsn oil and filters WAY early..... on a tip that it would help with shifting. And it worked! I can tell a marked improvement in ability to shift. And of course these other tips here are excellent advice.
</font></font>