looking to get a RTV

G

<P dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"><FONT color=#000000 size=4>I am looking to purchase the kubota RTV 900. My terrain is mostly marshland with woods scattered thoughout it. But a do i have a hill that i would need to get over in order to get up to my homested. Its rather steep, but only 20 or so feet high(does it count as a hill?) Can you describe what problems/difficulties the unit would have given the terrain. Is there any other real pressing issues with the unit that I shoul know about before I do commit to it?</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#000000 size=4>thanks</FONT></P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I would propose you try to get a demo version brought to your place to try it out.

The RTV is heavy (almost a ton) so it may sink more than others in the marsh area. Tires will also be key. I don't know if any of the OEM tires will like it but if you do get a demo brought out, get one with the ATV style tires. The worksite/turf will cake with mud and get you stuck pretty quickly.

I have some relatively steep hills and I can climb them without any problems. Just remember to let off the pedal (to about 1/2 way) if it bogs down. That'll kick in the aux. pump and give more power.

Weight is the only pressing issue I can think of for your terrain.

FLHT

I was really concerned about the weight and sinking in the muddy river
bottoms. I had not planned on taking it in that soft muddy mess. About
a month ago my daughter went thru a place that was still flooded and a
soft muddy mess. She did not stop, it was in 2 wheel drive. And it had
no problems, to my surprise. It has the OEM atv tires.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi, The RTV is great. I got stuck all the time until I got aggressive aftermarket tires. [mud lites ]Now I never get stuck. I also learned from fellow forum members how to handle the transmission.I live on a farm and when it rains there is always mud . I also rarely use 4wd . but where water has been standing for days and days I do. I agree you should test drive in wet situations to know for sure. Watch out for the water spray as you zip through it . It is sort of fun!! Also check out the sturdy plastic top on the RTV. It is sooo much better than the Mule's. No water gets dumped in your lap!!! Good Luck!! Bordercollie[&]