186 yanmar one rear wheel wont turn

sonnysyanmar

Tractor has been sitting about 5 years..i am fixing to fire it up but the right rear wheel wont turn when i loaded it up...what is up with that

ghautz

My first guess would be that the right brake is locked. Does the linkage move when you press the pedal? You might have to open up the housing to check for the cause.

I believe if you will check the other brake and see how the lever moves you can use a small hammer and tap the stuck one whichever way it needs to go. Then load it. Just so you will know I own 2 Yanmar tractors.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Yanmars frequently get some water in the brake housing. If it sat there for awhile, no doubt it's locked up.

BTW welcome to NTT :tiphat:

Mark777

Welcome SonnysYanmar!

I agree with all the responses. The brakes are frozen to the drum surfaces.

You can, without too much trouble, remove the entire cover plate which holds the shoes, springs and linkage. You may have to induce 'shock' by tapping with a hammer while trying to dislodge the assembly...but it will, eventually, break free.

Considering the age of the tractor (and hours), if the frictionable material looks worn, Yanmar engineers wisely designed a 'second chance' adjustment at the pivot. You can turn the pivot 90°'s which will re-arch the shoes and you're good to go for another few decades :D!

If the brake drums are rusty, pitted or irregular you can also save hours of labor and not have to pull the axles by CAREFULLY jacking up, and secure the rear of your Yanmar, start, run and engauge hi gear, hi range (with shoe assembly plates removed). Using a small 'Dremel' (or drill and abrasive paper wrap), lightly 'dress' the spinning I.D. of the drums. They will clean up very quickly...and add years to the brake life of your tractor. Do not attempt to grind away the drum material...just gently clean and polish away the surface.

Let us know if you need an exploded view or parts diagram for your YM186...I think we could dig up something to help you out :).

Mark

Brutus

Did you try holding the working brake pedal down, while trying to back the tractor up? Kinda jerking the clutch a li'l? That might work the shoes just enough to break 'em loose, too.
Just a thought.

Be careful with that one Brutus. I was once in a turn and had the interlock in. forgot about it and applied the left brake for turning. Twisted the primary shaft in the final drive on that side. They are not very big. Before I applied brakes to break it free, I would pull the case,do a visual, and see what is going on.

sonnysyanmar

Finished my 186 yanmar

I finally changed all the hoses,belts, rebuilt radiator changed thermostat,changed all fluids and filters drained the old diesel and fired her up...even after sitting for 5 years....she fired up instantly i mean as soon as i hit the key...i am amazed at this little tractor!