Changing the Front Boots on RTV900

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
Let me add my welcome to the forums. A wealth of information awaits your reading pleasure.

Yeah, Jamie, the alligator is going much too fast. Wish I could have seen the cow too!

Fred

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That pic is "udderly" wrong.

I've heard of "lipstick on a pig" but this is too much. Worse if they would have "done her nails" (or in this case hoofs).

Sledpuller

In the process now, very informative thread!!! Sadly, I have a broken bearing race... Does anyone sell parts, or is it axle assembly time?

Sledpuller

At 89.95 for one bearing joint and a boot, I think I will go the Rhino complete shaft for 199.95, for one side and reboot the other.
Thanks for all the help posters!

Fitch

Well, here I go.

We just finished the highest use time of year for our 2004 RTV. Two nights ago it was parked with the front wheels turned hard as shown in the picture, and we discovered a ripped outer CV boot. The lack of dirt in the 'wound' indicates we probably found it very soon after it ripped.

I have the Factory Service Manual but it didn't really give me a step by step process. There were bits and pieces of a procedure but I tried a WEB search and found this very useful thread.

I joined to be able to see the pictures.

The parts are on order. They are expected to arrive next week. One question I had was whether or not to replace the seal on the inside of the knuckle. Those things must be made of gold, they are fifty bucks each. As a general rule I like to replace any disturbed seals, but those have me wondering if it's worth it. My initial instinct is to leave them alone and watch for leaks. It looks to me like if they leak, they can be replaced relatively easily.

Any input? You didn't and wish you did? You didn't and everything is fine?

Thanks
Fitch

Attachments

• IMG_2199 As found - RS1200.jpg
    IMG_2199 As found - RS1200.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 143

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Fitch, I didn't and everything was ok for me although I did sell my '05 not too long afterwards. I put peanuts stick stoppers deflectors on my 2011 RTV and they do great. I only used the vertical shield part and replaced the oem plastic ones. Have a Blessed day, collie

Fitch

Thanks for welcome and the feedback folks.

My RTV has a curved metal shield bolted to the front of the A-arm. You can see it in the picture. My boot didn't get ripped by a stick, it failed, after 10 years and 1,977 hours, in what looks like a perfectly circumferential fatigue failure at the point of maximum flex stress when the wheels are turned. If the wheel is straight you can't tell it's damaged. It just pulls apart when the wheel is turned.

I put my fingers into the grease that's exposed in the picture. It has no grit in it. No evidence of dirt, so hopefully I've dodged a bullet.

The plan is to replace both boots on both front CV joints (drive shafts?).

There is no way I'd use that split boot. This repair is easy enough that I can't see any reason not to do the very best job possible. That split boot just doesn't look as good to me as the one piece that's lasted 10 years - this time anyway.

I cleared out the wood shop to make room, backed in and put it up with 4x4 under the rear wheels and jack stands under the frame.

I'll take it apart tomorrow and get things ready for when the boot kits arrive.

I'll drain and replace the oil in the knuckles and front differential while I'm at it.

Fitch

Mark.Sibole

If the split boot fit it would do just as good of a job IMO.
I replaced the boot on mine with a factory original and it wasnt a hard job just time consuming and you have to watch where the clips go when re installing it and making sure you have the right boot on the right side lol.
If I had to do it again I may look into the split boot and see if it would actually fit.It would save a few hours of work anyways.As you mine split from fatigue not from ripping.
I was thinking a while back on what the possibilitys of using the boots back to back to enclose them rear u joints to keep the gunk out and keep them packed in grease.But im not sure if it would be feesable.Im not convinced they go bad grom lack of grease its more lack of strength for the design and the severe angle they are in.But it would be interesting to try just for shits and giggles.

Fitch

Hi Fitch, I didn't and everything was ok for me although I did sell my '05 not too long afterwards. I put peanuts stick stoppers deflectors on my 2011 RTV and they do great. I only used the vertical shield part and replaced the oem plastic ones. Have a Blessed day, collie

Thanks. I think I'll go with out replacing them and see what happens.

Fitch