New trailer!

Either it's sheer boredom or total mayhem:pat:

The 2 new Massey's are on the way. My old goosenecks are too small for them. So, I ordered a new Corn Pro 20,000gvwr 20'er, sold one of the 14,000 Ridgelines, and bought a 12,000 Lawrimore bumper pull low deck to haul the Massey 150 on. Below are some pictures of the Lawrimore trailer. A tool box has since been added to pack away my chains and such. Tows good behind the Dodge. The 2500 Dodge I drive is about to get a topper on the back. That explains the bumper pull. When the Corn Pro trailer arrives, the other Ridgeline goes away. Also pictured is the remaining Ridgeline 14,000gvwr 20'+5'er.

Clear on all that?

Just in time for single digit temps and snow, I also got the chore of baby sitting my neighbors 12 cows while he's away. Been out tossing bales after dark for a week. :eek:

Attachments

• Jan1dogs 013.jpg
    Jan1dogs 013.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Jan1dogs 014.jpg
    Jan1dogs 014.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Jan1dogs 015.jpg
    Jan1dogs 015.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 93
  • Jan1dogs 010.jpg
    Jan1dogs 010.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Jan1dogs 011.jpg
    Jan1dogs 011.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Jan1dogs 012.jpg
    Jan1dogs 012.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 88

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nice trailers you got there FWJ! How much difference do you expect switching from 5th wheel to bumper hitch?

note: I moved this thread to the new Truck, Trailer & Cars forum. There will be a redirect in the Misc forum for the next 30 days so you should have no trouble finding your post.

Nice trailers you got there FWJ! How much difference do you expect switching from 5th wheel to bumper hitch?

note: I moved this thread to the new Truck, Trailer & Cars forum. There will be a redirect in the Misc forum for the next 30 days so you should have no trouble finding your post.

I completely missed the TRUCK/TRAILER forum. Fatigue does strange things to the mind..

My Dodge is a quad cab, long bed, 4WD, 2500. It's long enough and heavy enough to handle a little weight on the bumper. The trailer is long enough and the axles are fairly well centered so as to carry the bulk of the weight on the trailer axles. I'll carry about 1000 lbs tongue weight. That shouldn't make the truck "porpoise" very much at all, if any. The advantage will be the bumper pull is 1250 lbs lighter than the gooseneck. That will hopefully translate to a little better fuel economy. The lower deck should be safer loading and unloading. I'm loosing my nerve as I get older:hide:

I'm planning on putting a topper on the Dodge so my wife and I can do a few "over nighters" at some antique and CLASSIC tractor shows this summer (Can't forget the CLASSICthing for Dougster) The MF150 is FINALLY going to get to a few shows.

The mowing fleet will be the Deere 2440. Deere 6430, and the pair of MF583's The 150 will just take care of the home place and appear at those shows this summer.

irwin

Hey Bill,

You're spending some money these days, two new Masseys! two new trailers!, serious jealousy here in Connecticut...:wave: I've gotta hurry up and read one of Dougsters posts right away so I can feel better about my financial situation..:yum: ..no offence Doug...:wink:

Really Good for you Fwj, sounds like you're getting some gorgeous lawn ornaments.:cool:

Dougster

Old Member
The MF150 is FINALLY going to get to a few shows. The mowing fleet will be the Deere 2440. Deere 6430, and the pair of MF583's The 150 will just take care of the home place and appear at those shows this summer.
No question about it! :) The Junk is on a roll! :thumb:
I've gotta hurry up and read one of Dougsters posts right away so I can feel better about my financial situation..:yum: ..no offence Doug...:wink:
No problemo Tim. I was just about to go do the same thing. :eek:

Dougster

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I completely missed the TRUCK/TRAILER forum. Fatigue does strange things to the mind..

Nope, you didn't miss it. Your post reminded me that I had intended to add that forum a week or so ago. I created it after I saw your post. :pat: Trucks and trailers just go with tractors. If you have a tractor chances are you have a truck and trailer also. I added cars to it since once in awhile we might discuss a car problem or model.

My Dodge is a quad cab, long bed, 4WD, 2500. It's long enough and heavy enough to handle a little weight on the bumper. The trailer is long enough and the axles are fairly well centered so as to carry the bulk of the weight on the trailer axles. I'll carry about 1000 lbs tongue weight. That shouldn't make the truck "porpoise" very much at all, if any. The advantage will be the bumper pull is 1250 lbs lighter than the gooseneck. That will hopefully translate to a little better fuel economy. The lower deck should be safer loading and unloading. I'm loosing my nerve as I get older:hide:

I'm planning on putting a topper on the Dodge so my wife and I can do a few "over nighters" at some antique and CLASSIC tractor shows this summer (Can't forget the CLASSICthing for Dougster) The MF150 is FINALLY going to get to a few shows.

The mowing fleet will be the Deere 2440. Deere 6430, and the pair of MF583's The 150 will just take care of the home place and appear at those shows this summer.

Now that sounds like a plan. I've only heard good things about goose neck vs bumper hitch. But when I pulled a big cruiser on an aluminum trailer I was shocked at how easy it pulled because of the lighter weight.

We were camping at the races once and it rained and rained on us. Our tent got soaked. Finally it dawned on me that the back of the truck was probably dryer with the topper on the truck. We moved into it and was dry the rest of the night. :D Toppers work fine for a makeshift tent. :D

rback33

Aww man.... I bet I missed out on a deal for that Ridgeline... don't need a trailer like that too often, but when i DO.....

FINISHED!

Like so many of us, I can't leave anything alone. Got to "improve" everything before using.:rolleyes:

The new trailer needed a little personalization. I like to leave all the chains, binders, jacks, lug wrench, a sledge hammer, and a few other incidentals with the trailer. That meant re-arrainging a few things.

First the spare tire mount had to be torched off to allow for the toolbox to set where the tire was originally. Then bolt the toolbox in place. I had 2 options. A box that was too short to hold my ratchet binders or this one that's actually 4"+ taller than I'd have prefered. But like a garage, a toolbox is much better being too big than too small. Once the box was mounted, I had to make a new spare tire mount. I used part of the original and fabbed the rest from steel I had laying around the shop. Welded it in place and got a couple coats of paint on that. If the tire happens to ever be in the way for any loads I might be carrying, it can always be tossed in the bed of the truck. When the MF150 is loaded, even with the bush hog on it, the CLOSEST I get to the spare is around 2'. In other words, PLENTY of room for the spare. Finally, with the tall tool box, the tongue jack crank wouldn't turn without hitting the box. I had to make an 8" extention out of 1/2" black iron pipe.

She's ready for the road!

Next step, I have to find a topper for the pick-em-up truck.

Attachments

• Jan1dogs 016.jpg
    Jan1dogs 016.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Jan1dogs 017.jpg
    Jan1dogs 017.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Jan1dogs 018.jpg
    Jan1dogs 018.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Jan1dogs 019.jpg
    Jan1dogs 019.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 82
  • Jan1dogs 020.jpg
    Jan1dogs 020.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Awesome mod Junk. Nice work. You'd think they would make it with a tool box like that ...but then you'd still find something to change. lol :yum:

Awesome mod Junk. Nice work. You'd think they would make it with a tool box like that ...but then you'd still find something to change. lol :yum:

I could have ordered a trailer with a built in chain box. Problem was, it isn't big enough to cram in all the "stuff" I carry with each trailer.

The inventory;

6 grade 70 3/8" chains, 16' ea.
6 ratchet binders for above
8lb sledge hammer w/16" handle
8 ton hydraulic bottle jack
jack handle
lug wrench
2 clevis'
"chain shortener"
couple pairs of leather gloves
box of misc. bolts/nuts/washers
fire extinguisher
partridge in a pear tree

:pat: It's a wonder I managed to get it all in that box!

Had to take 'er on a test flight! Curiousity got the best of me. Today is the first day in a while it's been warm enough to do anything outside. (30 degrees....was 6 yesterday) So, I had to hook up the trailer, load up the MF and take it for a spin.

After checking shipping weights a little closer, I determined this trailer is over 1600 lbs lighter than the Ridgeline gooseneck. That makes for less of a load towing, less weight to stop, and with 9-1/2' less over-all length, a LOT easier to maneuver. All that should make for a more pleasant experience towing to shows this summer.

Attachments

• Jan1dogs 021.jpg
    Jan1dogs 021.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Jan1dogs 022.jpg
    Jan1dogs 022.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Jan1dogs 023.jpg
    Jan1dogs 023.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 80

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nice looking setup you got there. Even the truck matches the tractor. :thumb:

xPosTech

Goodlookin' rig, Bill. It's the little customizing touches that makes 'em do what we want. But, I notice that MF isn't wearing any protection.:eek: My guess is it's the wrong time of year for bugs.

Do y'all have love bugs up there? Some people call 'em telephone bugs - they say hello and hang up. Sometimes down here they're hitting the windshield so heavy it sounds like it's raining. Those that escape my lil Jimmy seem to get caught in the slipstream and wind up on whatever I'm towing. The whole thing is covered in bug guts. Stinky bug guts.:puke1:

Was just wondering if you had to do anything special towing to a show.

Ted

Goodlookin' rig, Bill. It's the little customizing touches that makes 'em do what we want. But, I notice that MF isn't wearing any protection.:eek: My guess is it's the wrong time of year for bugs.

Do y'all have love bugs up there? Some people call 'em telephone bugs - they say hello and hang up. Sometimes down here they're hitting the windshield so heavy it sounds like it's raining. Those that escape my lil Jimmy seem to get caught in the slipstream and wind up on whatever I'm towing. The whole thing is covered in bug guts. Stinky bug guts.:puke1:

Was just wondering if you had to do anything special towing to a show.

Ted

That big ol' Dodge has a windshield that seems to catch all the bugs in the world:pat:

Any bugs flyin' now have my respect. It's been below freezing for well over a week. Down to 6 degrees yesterday.

Bindian

Had to take 'er on a test flight! Curiousity got the best of me. Today is the first day in a while it's been warm enough to do anything outside. (30 degrees....was 6 yesterday) So, I had to hook up the trailer, load up the MF and take it for a spin.

After checking shipping weights a little closer, I determined this trailer is over 1600 lbs lighter than the Ridgeline gooseneck. That makes for less of a load towing, less weight to stop, and with 9-1/2' less over-all length, a LOT easier to maneuver. All that should make for a more pleasant experience towing to shows this summer.
FMJ,:wave:
Nice rig.:wink: I gather when you say your new bumper pull is 9-1/2' shorter, you are referring as in shorter than your Ridgeline, right. What are each of their lengths? I used to pull my friends 16 lowboy with a bumper hitch before I got my 20 gooseneck and I feel I can manever and turn around in less space with the gooseneck. This is with overall truck and trailer hitched lengths about the same. The weight difference is a real killer. Mine is 2600 pounds empty on the axles. Hauling lumber around with it on the Interstate is a dream:cool:, but put the Big Red Beast on it and it becomes a lead sled.:pat:
hugs, Brandi

FMJ,:wave:
Nice rig.:wink: I gather when you say your new bumper pull is 9-1/2' shorter, you are referring as in shorter than your Ridgeline, right. What are each of their lengths? I used to pull my friends 16 lowboy with a bumper hitch before I got my 20 gooseneck and I feel I can manever and turn around in less space with the gooseneck. This is with overall truck and trailer hitched lengths about the same. The weight difference is a real killer. Mine is 2600 pounds empty on the axles. Hauling lumber around with it on the Interstate is a dream:cool:, but put the Big Red Beast on it and it becomes a lead sled.:pat:
hugs, Brandi

The gooseneck was (is) a 25'er. Bumper pull is 18' deck. Over-all length from rear bumper of truck to rear of trailer is 9-1/2' shorter for the bumper pull. The gooseneck has a considerable amount of space between the truck and the trailer's deck.

This new trailer and it's "normal load" is light enough relative to the trucks towing capacity/ability that there's no noticable "porpoising" with the bumper hitch. The gooseneck pulls good, but the bumper pull handles just as good IMHO.

The extra length of the gooseneck combined with the fact the axles were near the rear of the trailer made for a rig that needed a football field to turn around. This new trailer is FAR more nimble.

The particular Ridgeline trailer I had (still have another just like the one I sold....for now anyway) hit the scales at 3800 w/ spare tire, tool box and it's contents. The new trailer is 2200lbs (+tool box and contents) The heaviest load I ever had on the Ridgeline was the trailer itself and my Deere 2440, a box blade, 6' tiller, 6' pulverizer, fertilizer spreader, and a boom pole. Total package was 13,600. Probably had 2500 of that scaled on the truck, but any way you shake it, that was quite a load.

In less than 2 weeks, I'm supposed to have the new CORN PRO 20'+5', 20,000gvwr gooseneck. It'll live behind the '03 Dodge/Cummins. While mowing season is in full swing, I'll have a "designated driver" moving equipment with that rig. The '04 Dodge/Lawrimore bumper pull is my "toy hauler" from this point forward. It's more than adaquate and MUCH easier to deal with in close quarters and/or city traffic.

Bindian

The gooseneck was (is) a 25'er. Bumper pull is 18' deck. Over-all length from rear bumper of truck to rear of trailer is 9-1/2' shorter for the bumper pull. The gooseneck has a considerable amount of space between the truck and the trailer's deck.

This new trailer and it's "normal load" is light enough relative to the trucks towing capacity/ability that there's no noticable "porpoising" with the bumper hitch. The gooseneck pulls good, but the bumper pull handles just as good IMHO.

The extra length of the gooseneck combined with the fact the axles were near the rear of the trailer made for a rig that needed a football field to turn around. This new trailer is FAR more nimble.

The particular Ridgeline trailer I had (still have another just like the one I sold....for now anyway) hit the scales at 3800 w/ spare tire, tool box and it's contents. The new trailer is 2200lbs (+tool box and contents) The heaviest load I ever had on the Ridgeline was the trailer itself and my Deere 2440, a box blade, 6' tiller, 6' pulverizer, fertilizer spreader, and a boom pole. Total package was 13,600. Probably had 2500 of that scaled on the truck, but any way you shake it, that was quite a load.

In less than 2 weeks, I'm supposed to have the new CORN PRO 20'+5', 20,000gvwr gooseneck. It'll live behind the '03 Dodge/Cummins. While mowing season is in full swing, I'll have a "designated driver" moving equipment with that rig. The '04 Dodge/Lawrimore bumper pull is my "toy hauler" from this point forward. It's more than adaquate and MUCH easier to deal with in close quarters and/or city traffic.
FMJ,
Oh,:pat: when hitched ,my 20 foot gooseneck is about 3 or 3.5 feet longer than my truck hitched to a bumper pull 16 footer.:thumb: That is giving two feet between my goosneck and truck and 3 feet to the bumper pull lowboy for the hitch. The hitch itself puts the length of the bumper pull a half a foot longer also. Since I go into shopping parking lots alot while hitched up,:hangingclothes: the ability to turn past 90 degrees while backing up wins my heart for my goosneck.:cool: But either rig you park out in the boonies unless I am going thru a large drive thru window.:rolleyes: Oh yeah, for the Big Red Beast to go on a pumper pull trailer, it would have to be 25 foot with the BH and FEL.
hugs, Brandi

Dougster

Old Member
FMJ, Oh,:pat: when hitched ,my 20 foot gooseneck is about 3 or 3.5 feet longer than my truck hitched to a bumper pull 16 footer.:thumb: That is giving two feet between my goosneck and truck and 3 feet to the bumper pull lowboy for the hitch. The hitch itself puts the length of the bumper pull a half a foot longer also. Since I go into shopping parking lots alot while hitched up,:hangingclothes: the ability to turn past 90 degrees while backing up wins my heart for my goosneck.:cool: But either rig you park out in the boonies unless I am going thru a large drive thru window.:rolleyes: Oh yeah, for the Big Red Beast to go on a pumper pull trailer, it would have to be 25 foot with the BH and FEL.
hugs, Brandi
Now leave it to our Brandi to go shopping at her favorite mega-mall, pick up her groceries at the local supermarket... and then go through the drive-thru window line at Taco Bell in her big red Dodge pick-up truck... all with the gigantic, over-sized
Big Red Beast in tow!!! :eek:

It must definitely be a Texas thang! :D It boggles my shrinking little New England mind just to think about it! :respect:

Dougster :starbucks:

GNs advantage over BPs

FWJ
The only thing wrong with a bumper pull trailer, is that every Tom, Dick and Harry think they can borrow it...:D

Most aren't setup for a GN...:rolleyes: