MF 1250 intermitant forward travel

MikeMB

I have an MF 1250 with 775 hours on it. I use it mostly for brush hogging weeds and small saplings. The tractor is 14 years old.

Today as I mowed the tractor just stopped twice and would not go forward. It would go backward but not forward. Both times occurred as the tractor engine was nearing the top of the normal temperature range. Weed seed badly clogs the radiator screen and I have to stop fairly often to clean the screen and front grill. This has been the mode of operation for many years.

After sitting for 15 minutes, when the shuttle shift was put in the forward position, the tractor tried to move but couldn't. After sitting another 15 minutes the tractor behaved normally and I finished mowing the field.

I moved to a second field and as the weed seed clogged the radiator the temp increased and about the time I would have stopped to clean the radiator screen the tractor stopped again. After sitting for a few minutes it shifted and moved normally once more.

Any idea what is going on? The hydraulic fluid is clean and full. The hydraulic filter has less than the recommended hours to change. BTW, does anyone have a cross reference for that hydraulic filter which costs $80 at my dealer?

Any help is appreciated.