Crap Sums it Up

v10rick

Site Supporter
Hello again.

Time for guidance from the forum.

Purchased my RTV900 from an eBay dealer, with a 100% feedback ranking, however my purchase was not through eBay. I have purchased from this seller previously without any issues.

He admitted that he does not normally sell RTVs. He took it in trade, he had no history on the rig.

During the test drive the RTV power seemed to match my BX2350, with the same engine series. The only thing that grabbed my attention was the chirp in 4wd. When I pointed out the chirp he dropped the price $500, supposedly what he had in the RTV.

Went it arrived I gave it the once over and found the radiator dry and the recovery tank full of rusty water. Too bad I did not pay more attention to the coolant system, the temp gauge was not throwing any red flags during the test drive so I had no reason to investigate the cooling system.

OK so the temp gauge sending unit was disconnected, who would do that?

Replaced the radiator, hoses thermostat and the cracked thermostat housing. Confirmed the radiator fan was operating and made certain the temp gauge was functioning. Took several test drives up and down the hills in various gears. The temp gauge was reading about 1/3 scale, about what my BX reads. Confirmed the antifreeze level was OK, not using oil etc. BTW the temps that day were in the high 40s. Thought all was well.

Fast forward to a 70 degree day and decided to straighten out the bend in the brush guard. With the aid of a stout tree and chain mission accomplished, but noticed the temp gauge was approaching the red zone. Popped up the seat, the recovery tank is right at full and the radiator fan is running. Guess that's a good thing.

Allowed the RTV to cool down and then headed up the hill to fetch the mail, but in route I see the temp gauge is nearly pegged.

Drifted back down the hill, lift the seat and the recovery tank is empty. This cannot be good.

With the engine stone cold it started, but when I recharged the coolant system it would not start.

Today I pulled the head and found the head gasket separated. The cylinder bores are pristine but when I cleaned the engine deck a hairline crack appeared. See attached.

Looks like the engine is junk, I doubt it would have any core value like this.
What to do next?

Attachments

• Engine crack.pdf
    150.5 KB · Views: 142

ovrszd

Bummer. Sorry for your bad luck.

I'm not a mechanical genius. First thing I look at is coolant. Rusty sends red flag. Low level and I'm out.

Hopefully you are in cheap enough that you can replace the engine. Hard part will be finding a useable donor for sale. :(

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Google Kubota rtv-900 engine. You'll find rebuilts in the $3K range. I'm always leary about used engines from an unknown source but you never know what you'll find.

Sorry about the problem.

Lee1935

A good welder sometimes can repair cracks, might be worth checking out

I think I would file a grievance with ebay

Last edited:

v10rick

Site Supporter
Thanks guys!

Including the purchase price, after installing a re-manufactured engine (with a warranty) my investment would be close to the dealer retail price for a preowned RTV, with about the same hours.

At least I would have confidence in the integrity of this RTV.

After this experience I agree about finding a donor engine. Even if it runs and sounds OK that does not necessarily mean its a good engine.

Unlike others here this is just a knock around 4x4 so I am not pressured for a quick solution.

For serious work there is always the BX2350. After 10 years and about 500 hrs. not a single issue, except for the mower deck that looses a nut or two occasionally.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
sorry man sooo sorry. without knowing how much you have in it is a hard call. i would consider parting it out or try to find a junker with a running engine and make one out of two.

v10rick

Site Supporter
This RTV was running OK until it overheated, when stressed by a load. Assuming the block was cracked prior to my purchase, I am thinking of reassembling with a new head gasket and running as is. The head gasket was delaminated.

If its able to make short trips around the property without overheating, I am good with that until a replacement engine becomes available.

v10rick

Site Supporter
A good welder sometimes can repair cracks, might be worth checking out

I think I would file a grievance with ebay

True...I had a V8 block welded buy a machine shop that specialized in this work. It was an involved process that was expensive, but since this was a numbers matching car it was worth the cost.

I don't believe this engine warrants that expense. Compared to a V8 this is like a toy motor.

Their eBay listings include a statement "as is where is no returns or guarantees". Even if this purchase was through ebay I doubt there is much that could be done.

v10rick

Site Supporter
FYI
I received a reply from the ebay seller of rebuilt RTV engines.
My engine would have no core value and without the core credit the cost would be the same as a new engine with a 2 year warranty.

wheeler

This RTV was running OK until it overheated, when stressed by a load. Assuming the block was cracked prior to my purchase, I am thinking of reassembling with a new head gasket and running as is. The head gasket was delaminated.

If its able to make short trips around the property without overheating, I am good with that until a replacement engine becomes available.

That is an interesting crack. It is only the water jacket, correct? I don't see what have to lose by, as you say, put in a new head gasket and run it. Possibly do not use antifreeze and maybe loosen the radiator cap so no pressure. Good luck.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
you could get creative and put a kubota gas engine in it's place. you would have more power,or you could put in an 1105 from an 1100

v10rick

Site Supporter
That is an interesting crack. It is only the water jacket, correct? I don't see what have to lose by, as you say, put in a new head gasket and run it. Possibly do not use antifreeze and maybe loosen the radiator cap so no pressure. Good luck.

Yes the crack is just through the water jacket ports.
The cylinder bores are perfect, no signs of scoring.

It made good power before blowing the head gasket. For about $100 in gaskets
and my time I will give it a shot and report back.

BTW the engine builder mentioned that 50% of the core returns are damaged by overheating. Even without cracks most of these have no value because the cam is stuck in the block.

v10rick

Site Supporter
you could get creative and put a kubota gas engine in it's place. you would have more power,or you could put in an 1105 from an 1100

This is an excellent idea...thanks!

There is a 1105 on ebay now for very reasonable money.

Do you know if this is a direct swap to the existing transmission?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks
Unless its been magnafluxed and pressure tested I am reluctant to go this route. Too much time and expense only to discover a problem when its done.
Agreed. I'm with ya on that.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
I hate to be that guy but if someone chapped my ass like that I would all over him. I don’t know what kind of paperwork you signed or how you paid but that wouldn’t fly without a fight! If this guy has any gumption he will take care of you, or pitch in on repairs.... something...

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
:(

I agree with Alaskan. I would have to threaten with legal action. That unplugged temperature wire is just completely wrong. In my opinion, that makes him responsible because of the misleading information it gave. .. like faking a test..
When we sell a registered bull, it is tested by a licensed vet . If he passes,with a "good to go" , he'll be offered for 60 days on that test. If the bull falls in a hole it's the buyers problem , if he eats a bad plant its the buyers problem , if the buyer doesn't feed him,it's his problem, but if the bull doesn't "work" in that time frame - its our problem and the buyer is told to take him to the sale barn for slaughter sale and will refund the difference which will be a couple of thousand of dollars.
This guy needs to do the right thing . If necessary , you could tell him what it would part out as if sold for parts in a complete unit (to save you that work) and tell him you'd settle for that and the balance , otherwise it will cost him in legal fees and reputation-
Small claims court is an option if you are close enough to him. bordercollie

Last edited:
It’s a bad deal but I doubt the seller had a clue. He took it in on trade. The guy that traded it in is more than likely the scum bag here that was dumping an abused machine. Sometimes you win, sometimes it’ll cost you but I don’t think the guy he bought it from should be responsible unless he explicitly stated it’s been checked out and is solid with a warranty for a set period

Brett