Chain Question

jwstewar

Staff member
I've bought some chain to use to tie my little New Holland down to my trailer when I want to haul it. I bought Grade 43 3/8" inch chain. It has a WLL of 5400 lbs. These are 14 feet long with a hook on each end. So far I've bought 3 of them. Next time I'm at Menards I'll probably pick 2 more up. That way I have 4 to attach the tractor to the trailer and a 5th for any attachments that I haul. I'll then use 10k straps to tie the loader and any attached attachments to the trailer. Do you guys think these chains will be OK?

I know I've read say use Grade 70, but most of it that I've seen (unless I order it) is only 5/16 and has a WLL of 4600 lbs. Should I return my Grade 43 and jump up to the Grade 70 3/8?

BTW, I've got a little NH TC24 that with the loader, MMM, loaded tires, and an attachment on the back still weighs just under 4,000.

urednecku

I would think those would hold....BUT... if you are hauling very much you might want to check with your states Dept. of Transportation, to see what they require.
Of course, there will be somebody along in a little while with lots more experience and knowledge than me....:hide:

B

bczoom

I would think those would hold....BUT... if you are hauling very much you might want to check with your states Dept. of Transportation, to see what they require.
That's exactly what I'd recommend you do.

Here, it's grade 70, ESPECIALLY if it's a rolling load. 4 chains, off each 4 corners. Those 14' chains of yours could be cut down to 7' to accomplish this if you end up keeping them.

jwstewar

Staff member
I just did a search and found this: Federal Department of Transportation

From what I'm reading, it looks like I'll be OK. Especially given that I'll be using 4 of them.

Actually, I lied. They are 20' in length, so maybe I do want to consider shortening them. I hadn't originally planned to. I think I'll load it up though and try it before I do anything.

jwstewar

Staff member
After a little more snooping around, I think I'm going to order 5 of these: Grade 70 3/8" and a package of these 5 Rachet binders I can get the chain and binders for about the same price as 4 binders locally at TSC. I return the Grade 43 chain I've already bought. They may not take the one back as I've already opened it. Maybe be a liability issue. Guess I'll find out though.

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
After a little more snooping around, I think I'm going to order 5 of these: Grade 70 3/8" and a package of these 5 Rachet binders I can get the chain and binders for about the same price as 4 binders locally at TSC. I return the Grade 43 chain I've already bought. They may not take the one back as I've already opened it. Maybe be a liability issue. Guess I'll find out though.

Looks like a great package, I'll have to look into doing the same for my soon to be new trailer. I'm looking for one right now for toting the Kioti (approx. 8000K# with BH on it)

PBinWA

I think it's recommended to use Grade 70 - as others have mentioned. I bought 4 Grade 43's just in case I ever have to tow my tractor. I don't really ever expect to have to do it but just in case I bought the four chains. I have some straps too so I would probably chain and strap the crap out of it and pray a little. If I was going to be towing frequently then I would buy some Grade 70's.

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
After a little more snooping around, I think I'm going to order 5 of these: Grade 70 3/8" and a package of these 5 Rachet binders I can get the chain and binders for about the same price as 4 binders locally at TSC.

You might want to investigate the source of their chans and rachets. On other sites, I've heard of Chinese chain and binders being sold as grade 70, but made with an inferior steel and therefore not meeting advertised specs.

shvl73

You might want to investigate the source of their chans and rachets. On other sites, I've heard of Chinese chain and binders being sold as grade 70, but made with an inferior steel and therefore not meeting advertised specs.
Interesting you mention that.
I had purchased Harbor Freight 5/16" x 20' grade 70 chains for $30/ea. I noticed Home Depot and TSC both had Chinese chains, so I figured, why not?
I then saw Lowes had US made chains for $35. I returned the HF ones and bought the Lowes ones.

Erik

thanks for the tip - I have 2 HF grade 70 chains but am looking for a couple more - will take a look at Lowe's. $35 for a 20' chain I can cut in half for my other 2 corners is a pretty tempting deal. (or maybe I'll cut my HF chains and use the US made for better applications)

Erik

There is no better application then having a trailer load properly secured.
since I rarely trailer the tractor -- but I am looking at pulling out a lot of trees, I have to disagree on that one. My G70 HF chains are plenty strong for strapping the tractor down to the trailer -- I'm not comfortable with using them under heavy strain.

urednecku

since I rarely trailer the tractor -- but I am looking at pulling out a lot of trees, I have to disagree on that one. My G70 HF chains are plenty strong for strapping the tractor down to the trailer -- I'm not comfortable with using them under heavy strain.

How much strain you recon they will be under in a possible wreck?
IF the trailer was to flip, roll, etc. the load is to remain as one assembly, not having the load fly off and make 2 or more pieces of equipment flying in different directions.

jwstewar

Staff member
I ordered the binders from the link that I posted above. For now, I think I'll stay with the 3/8" Grade 43 that I've already purchased. I'll let you know the quality of them when I receive them.

One thing I like about them, they each have their own little plastic "tool box" to store them in. Should help keep organized and from getting rusted just sitting in the bottom of a bucket or something. Should also make it easier to grab should I need just one. I know the case doesn't make the tool, but it is a nice little benefit.

shinnlinger

2 thoughts,
If I was only hauling the tractor infrequently, I wouldn't cut the chain as it will be more useful longer for other things. You can also use 2 20 foot chains to secure your tractor by hooking at the 4 corners of your trailer and securing the tractor in 4 spots with 4 binders. THat way you still have 4 independent anchor points.

I will also say if you are pulling on a chain with your tractor you should rig something to slow down the chain if it breaks. I rachet strapped a hurricane fence gate to my ROPS. I could pop it off easy enough, but it has lived there for a few years now

Erik

2 thoughts,
If I was only hauling the tractor infrequently, I wouldn't cut the chain as it will be more useful longer for other things. You can also use 2 20 foot chains to secure your tractor by hooking at the 4 corners of your trailer and securing the tractor in 4 spots with 4 binders. THat way you still have 4 independent anchor points.

I will also say if you are pulling on a chain with your tractor you should rig something to slow down the chain if it breaks. I rachet strapped a hurricane fence gate to my ROPS. I could pop it off easy enough, but it has lived there for a few years now
Thought 1 is how I've been doing it, but it was sounding like I needed 4 separate chains to go with 4 binders - hence the cutting a chain idea.
Thought 2 - I saw a picture recently where someone used strapping of some sort to attach a piece of expanded steel to their ROPS, and I liked that idea a lot. Your chain link gate is a good idea as well.

jwstewar

Staff member
The binders came yesterday. They don't say where they are made, but they have big letters samped right on them that say 9,200 WLL. They are fairly heavy. A little bit stiff, but most of them I've used through the years are. I will probably put a little bit of grease on the racheting mechanism. Of course, might be a little easier to operate when they are actually hooked to something as well. Last night is was cold so I just took one out of the box and was playing with it.

So far I'm pleased with their look. Will know more the first time I try to tie the tractor down.

Here the minute you go to a gooseneck trailer, you are subject to lots of stops by txdot to check chains boomers and commerical lic.