New Top Link

jwstewar

Staff member
The last few times I've bush hogged I've broken several lynch pins. What was happening is when I would back down into the ditch with the bush hog and come back up it would bind the lynch pin against the top of the cutter and break it. While lynch pins aren't terribly expensive, by the time you lose 4 or 5 a day plus risk lose the top link pin it start being a few dollars and a pain in the butt having to keep stop and putting one back in. If I had a hydraulic top link I could retract it each time, but since I don't have a rear remote, I won't be getting one anytime soon. So, I had heard about using a chain for the top link, thought I would give it a try. I must say it worked pretty well. No broken lynch pins and I was actually able to mow the ditch a little bit closer than with the fixed top link. The only problem I ran into was if I didn't bring the front of the mower up high enough and it gouged the ground it would cause the back of the mower to lift up. It would drop right back down, but it would slam pretty hard. I tried to keep that from happening as it seemed pretty hard on the cutter. Once I got the height down, it work great.:applause:

First pick shows the chain when the cutter is lift. Second pic is the chain when the cutter is in the "cut" position. Last one is a close up of the chain in the cut position.

Attachments

• 100_2380.jpg
    100_2380.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 100_2381.jpg
    100_2381.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 100_2382.jpg
    100_2382.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 35

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I use a chain for a similar reason. I bent my support bars on the brush hog when crossing a creek. And I have to cross every time I do the trails. A chain works perfect for me.

jwstewar

Staff member
I was really happy with it. It was a pretty good day. Got all of the bush hogggin' done. Only got stuck twice.:thumb: Didn't break any lynch pins and I found the leak in my front tire. It has been leaking every since I put the wire in the side wall of my back tire back in the summer but I couldn't find the hole. I drove it today around to the front of the garage today and was putting air into the tire and where the dew had the tire wet it was bubbling a little bit. Now just have to fix it. I sprayed some paint on it so I could find it again.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good thinking marking it with paint. Green slime might be just the ticket for fixing it. I like that stuff.

jwstewar

Staff member
I've heard of a lot of people having good luck with the green slime, but dad would probably beat me if he knew I put it in. He hates to clean a wheel up after it has had that in it.:whistle: