Doh! I had my Flail mower blades on backwards!

PBinWA

I discovered the other day that I had the finish cut blades for my (previously owned) Flail mower mounted backwards. Doh! :hide:

When I put them on I took the old Y cut blades off and just mounted the new blades facing the same direction as the cutting edge of the old blades.

Now apparently the Y cut blades are reversible so I had mounted my finish cut blades facing in the direction of the non-worn out edge of the old Y cut blades.

So with the blades on properly this mower does a nice job and I don't think I need to buy a finish mower.

I do need to figure out a way to set up some guage wheels though so I can let it float on the lawn. I did mickey mouse some anti-scalp rollers which work well for preventing the scalping but the mower will still lift up to high when I'm going down a hill. I need to have this thing dropped down to the ground with wheels in the front. It already has a large roller wheel on the back. The anti-scalp wheels I have aren't heavy duty enough to support the mower full time. Space is tight so I may have to mount the wheels out to the sides which will mess with my clearances a little but I think I can live with that.

PBinWA

Here's a picture of the different blade types. The finish cut (left) blades are one piece and folded and pressed into a blade. The Y cut (right) blades are two seperate pieces of metal that are bent at 30 degree angles and are apparently reversible. The center blades are dethatching blades.

Attachments

• hurricane-blabes.gif
    hurricane-blabes.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 33